No response to 'last good configuration'

When "disable intelppm" is entered at prompt it says the command is not recognized

& "Type HELP for a list of supported commands"

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only thing I could suggest now is that you do a repair install.

You said you have a XP disk for your computer, if it's the same version...we should be able to use it.

Do you have the Windows key for the sick computer? We need this!!

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 (X86)<-------this is the sick computer version

If you run Farbar Service Scanner and post the log, we'll see if it's the same version:

Please download Farbar Service Scanner and run it on the computer with the issue.

• Make sure the following options are checked:
    • Internet Services
    • Windows Firewall
    • System Restore
    • Security Center
    • Windows Update

[*]Press "Scan".

[*]It will create a log (FSS.txt) in the same directory the tool is run.

[*]Please copy and paste the log to your reply.

MrC

Okay...a little confused here.

What's meant by a "Windows key"?

The sick computer version is based on Sevice Pack 2 and we fell into this pit when I tried,

foolishly, to download/install Service Pack 3. Does that change anything? Everything?

You'd like me to run FSS on MY computer (which doesn't, as far as I know, have an issue).?

My own computer has been serviced and may not be running the same OS as the one on

the CD which originally installed it.

In fact, since the guy who put in a new motherboard for me only weeks ago did NOT have the

CD we're working with now.

Okay. I found some numbers on a tag on the side of the case, including one

which says "Product Key'

Now, that would stay the same, I hope, even though it was modified somehow

to be compatible with the grad school computer system some years back...

Yes?

That's what we what, but I think we should make sure.

If you create an OTLPE cd, we'll be able to retrieve the product key and also you'll be able to retrieve any pictures or documents you want.

The cd I would like you to create is OTLPE:

Download OTLPE from here or here

Now put a blank cd-r in your burner and double click on OTLPEStd.exe, it will automatically burn the cd. (burn it at a slow speed to avoid errors)

Once you have the cd, boot the computer up using it.

Note : If you do not know how to set your computer to boot from CD follow the steps here

It's going to go something like this when OTLPE loads:

[*]Your system should now display a REATOGO-X-PE desktop.

[*]Double-click on the OTLPE icon.

[*]When asked "Do you wish to load the remote registry", select Yes

[*]When asked "Do you wish to load remote user profile(s) for scanning", select Yes

[*]Ensure the box "Automatically Load All Remaining Users" is checked and press OK

Once OTL is loaded, look for the Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder and double click on it.

It should pop-up with the key, carefully copy it down.

Now is the time also to retrieve any pictures or documents off the computer.

MrC

Whoa...you're losing me.

What's an OTLPE cd? What's it for?

The sick computer doesn't have a CD burner, so I'd be burning it on mine, right?

The largest flashdrive I have is only 3.73 gigs but that wouldn't be appropriate anyway, right?

How does one go about retrieving files from the sick computer? Do they go on the CD?

I would not have a clue which files she would need to retrieve. She's not here at the moment.

I haven't had time to replace many programs on my own computer yet. This rescue mission

has been consuming. It shouldn't take long to put a burner on but I'd like to be a little clearer

on what we're doing.

Let's call the sick computer "A" and my computer "B"

I boot "A" with the new CD? NOT computer "B"

If this is going to wipe clean files, I have to consult with computer A's owner first.

I do NOT have Windows XP Home Restore CD for Dell Computers - R2490 ...I would have to purchase a copy.

Should I download Windows XP Pro Startup Disk 310994 ?

What are we going to do next?

-Grivin

What's an OTLPE cd? What's it for?

So we can confirm the product key, it's not going to work unless you have the correct one!!

We can also retrieve any pictures or documents if needed.

The sick computer doesn't have a CD burner, so I'd be burning it on mine, right?

Yes

Just burn the cd for now, let me know when it's done...then we'll go from there. MrC

I'm certain the product key on the little sticker is correct, straight out of the box. I just wasn't sure if

the grad school overhaul would have changed anything.

This process will enable selection of files to save? Compared to my system, she has very little to

retrieve, I think, but very important to her.

Does this involve extended down time? She's already under pressure from her worksite.

Not more difficult for me...

The Windows XP Home startup disk 310994

I can download

The Dell windows xp Home reinstallation restore cd for Dell PC

I have to send away for...