Malwarebytes Anti-Malware: Is it right for my business?

Right now we have a server running server 2008 standard with kaspersky antivirus software and we have 3 networked computers and 6 branch office computers.. Today at work I had an issue with some malware and was wondering what your opinions are for this software? Can it detect and stop malware from executing if someone clicks on a bad link? How much ram does the software utilize? Is it possible for Malwarebytes Anti-Malware to be turned off by malware? Thanks

Hi -

Note that if you click Malwarebytes.org (above), on the lower Right side is listed >> Need Corporate Licensing?

Please follow the links there for more information also -

Thank You -

QUICK EXTRA - You must be corporate / company based, as I have found that "abcd1234" is one of the most common Passwords and IDs used by many companies - :ph34r::)

Regards -

• Staff

Can it detect and stop malware from executing if someone clicks on a bad link?

Yes, in fact, there are 2 ways it protects:

1. Malicious website blocking. This component blocks malicious IP addresses and IP ranges known for hosting malicious content, so many such bad links would be blocked by this component alone.
  2. Malicious file execution blocking. This component blocks threats when they try to execute, allowing you to quarantine the threats so they can do no harm. We also have administration options for Corporate environments which allow threats to be quarantined automatically without any prompts or user interaction.

How much ram does the software utilize?

It varies, but generally it's somewhere between 20~80MB while realtime protection is active.

Is it possible for Malwarebytes Anti-Malware to be turned off by malware?

Yes, however, see above. If the threat is blocked from getting in (either by blocking the source, i.e. the website it comes from, or by blocking the threat from executing and quarantining it) then there's no possibility for the malware to turn off Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.

We are planning to implement some level of self-protection in the future, however keep in mind that no such protection is bullet proof and that once an infection has root access to the system, there's little that can be done to stop it from doing what it wants. That's why removing an actively installed threat is far more difficult than preventing it from getting in to begin with.