Desktop Keeps Shutting Down

Hi, Thanx for help with my Dad's computer. It's like the hackers are out for revenge, because now my Windows XP set up to look like Windows 95 has been restarting on its own since yesterday, starting with an automatic update with MalwareBytes. But, the previous day, PC Tools Registry Mechanic ran on its own, and discovered 3 problems that it fixed automatically. It happened while I stepped away, then I saw the results when I returned.

Can't run Malwarebytes, because it shuts down. Some of the error messages I posted the screenshot. But Malwarebytes ran in Safety mode, and no infections were found.

But I can't run Malwarebytes on regular, normal startup, before it shuts down.

Please help!

post-96106-0-35828200-1336061604.jpg

post-96106-0-82253200-1336061626.jpg

post-96106-0-44069300-1336061641.jpg

post-96106-0-18235600-1336061657.jpg

post-96106-0-73964400-1336061667.jpg

Here is the log in Safety Mode:

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (Trial) 1.61.0.1400

www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: v2012.05.03.01

Windows XP Service Pack 2 x86 NTFS (Safe Mode)

Internet Explorer 6.0.2900.2180

Bill :: LOUISE [administrator]

Protection: Disabled

5/3/2012 7:42:54 AM

mbam-log-2012-05-03 (07-42-54).txt

Scan type: Full scan

Scan options enabled: Memory | Startup | Registry | File System | Heuristics/Extra | Heuristics/Shuriken | PUP | PUM

Scan options disabled: P2P

Objects scanned: 237258

Time elapsed: 53 minute(s), 12 second(s)

Memory Processes Detected: 0

(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Detected: 0

Registry Keys Detected: 0

Registry Values Detected: 0

Registry Data Items Detected: 0

Folders Detected: 0

Files Detected: 0

(end)

Before I could add another file; Firefox rebooted 2X. Then the computer rebooted. I was trying to capture the Microsoft Error message, but the mouse froze. Finally I had to reboot, then the computer went into a cycle of rebooting, where it wouldn't even fully load.

So I had to start the computer in Safety Mode with Networking. I am going to load all the screenshots I can, and move to another computer to communicate.

The first reboot gave me a timed option with 30-sec countdown to:

Go into Safety Mode

Go into Safety Mode with Network

etc

Start with the Last Known Good Configuration

Start Normally.

I started normally each time, except when I ran Malwarebytes in Safety mode, and now, when I am in Safety mode with networking.

Here is the screenshot of Firefox crashing, and the Error Report I was able to capture, before the computer froze.

Last is the screenshot, which I should have posted FIRST, before all the other screenshots, above.

post-96106-0-83854800-1336063695.jpg

post-96106-0-60198600-1336063713.jpg

post-96106-0-75474300-1336063731.jpg

There is always a chance your version of Malwarebytes has been corrupted -

Please Uninstall your version of MBAM from > Control Panel > Add / Remove, and run the Clean-up tool (below) -

•Download and run mbam-clean.exe from HERE

•It will ask to restart your computer, please allow it to do so very important

•After the computer restarts, temporarily disable your Anti-Virus and install the latest version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from This Mirror to your desktop.

Now try to run a Quick Scan only -

Also do you have Windows Updates turned off, as in the pictures ? ? If so please try to turn it back on -

Always ask for more information if you are not sure --

Thank You -

Hi, Thanx for responding. My harddrive looks finished gone. It doesn't speak to the monitor anymore - can't see anything. The last screens it would load said:

TRAP000000D General Protection Fault

tr=0028 cr0=00000011 cr2=00000000 cr3=00000000

and so on, a screen full of registry values.

At least I was able to access it as a slave using a different harddrive as a server, and save the main files.

We ran Security Essentials on it from the server, and it came up clean.

Should I plug it in as a slave again, and run something else? I don't know if I could delete Malwarebytes from the slave. Would it uninstall properly?

""We ran Security Essentials on it from the server, and it came up clean.""

Hi -

Please fully delete "PC Tools Registry Mechanic" from Control Panel > Add / Remove - If you are running M.S.E. as an Antivirus at all, as you will always have problems with these 2 programs running on the same computer - -

You can always try to run Memtest86+ and test your RAM sticks first, unless you know the HD is failing on you

The instructions for memtest can be found: >> How to test memory using Memtest86+ I use the CD version -

Memtest should be run for at least 12 hours, but 24 hours is better (unless you start to get major errors showing)

""I don't know if I could delete Malwarebytes from the slave. Would it uninstall properly?""

If you installed Malwarebytes on the main drive (normal method) it will only uninstall from there usually

Okay. It's going to take a week before I know if I can do this, until my father comes home. You understand I can't boot up the harddrive in question at all as a master. There is no signal to the monitor. It seems really corrupted.

The harddrive in question can be accessed as a slave on my Dad's computer, when he connects it. Can I delete Registry Mechanic from the slave drive, using Add/Delete on a different harddrive? I'll try that.

Even though there is Registry Mechanic on the corrupted harddrive, there is no MSE. It was run on the slave drive from the one installed on the master harddrive, when they were connected in my Dad's housing.

I went to the instructions for Memetest. It looks like you have to boot up at least in the bios, which the corrupted harddrive doesn't do. Can I run Memetest from a different harddrive, on the corrupted harddrive as a slave?

Thanx! :)

As a lot of your problems seem F/fox related, and I am not aware of many of its functions, maybe someone else can help you with this

Always select "Last Known Good" if the option comes up -

Should I uninstall Malwarebytes, and start fresh?<<<== Yes you should -

Thank You -

I would run some hard drive diagnostics on that drive while you have it plugged in as a slave. I would also backup any data off that drive while you still can.

As far as uninstalling or removing programs off the drive while its plugged in as a slave, you can not see anything installed on that drive through add/remove programs on that slave drive. Deleting folders for the install could just make things worst.