Stuck after malware removal -- literally

Hello.

I thought i finally had this licked after I ran Malware removal software and it found issues, which i thought i deleted.

Still getting the same issues and all the steps to fix require using command line, or run, or typing information in a field.

Thing is whenever i do, computer freezes, at least keyboard does. I can still clock moving and screen blinks but can't type. Even in safe mode.

What in the HECK do i do to now if I can't type! One of the instructions is to use MSCONFIG but whenever I start to type it in it run it comes to a halt.

Help anybody?

I am trying to get an IBM r50 thinkpad back with windoxs xp (1985-2001) back up and running. I deduced that it has worm which caused initial problems, now trying to repair whatever worm screwed up.

Hello Modik and welcome to MalwareBytes forums.

More specific information is needed. What did MBAM find or detect as the issue? It really helps to know what you are dealing with in this case.

Did you have MBAM quarantine or delete the item?

Your indicating that Safe mode is not stable. Did you try Safe Mode with Networking?

Do you have a recent offline backup of this system? from before this problem first started.

Do you have the Windows XP operating system CD?

What are you referring to when you mention "MSCONFIG"?? None of MBAM instructions that I can recall mention that.

Is this a personal system of yours? or is this an organizational or company computer?

You mention "worm".... It is more likely a trojan.... But what is the "name" of it that was shown to you & by what

• 1 month later...

I'm sorry, I never received notification that this thread was up, let alone that you had posted a response.

I also posted in another forum. Should I continue here as well? MBAM log mentioned adware.Asksbar as one of found infections. (I thought I had saved to a cd before laptop's drive stopped working but can't locate.) I am posting link to other post so you can advise on how best to proceed.

Thanks.

http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=110989&pid=559477&st=0entry559477

Which forum do you mean? If at Malwarebytes malware removal help, that was closed due to no timely response from you.

I would suggest you open a new topic by following this procedure:

Please print out, read and follow the directions here, skipping any steps you are unable to complete. Then post a NEW topic here.

One of the expert helpers there will give you one-on-one assistance when one becomes available.

After posting your new post make sure under options that you select Follow this topic and choose one of the Email options so that you're alerted when someone has replied to your post.