Last resort asking for help ;-)

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Classic... now it won't even complete that scan when GMER starts. I'll try renaming it again. I tried again... "UPOS" (my new name for whatever this problem is) seems to have learned this one too. No go. It won't complete the scan at start up.

OK wait a mintue............... you are not going to believe this..............

When I thought all was lost. I did a couple of things. Last night I was checking event viewer. I noticed the FAX process kept giving some error messages. So I uninstalled it. I still was having the same issues. I tried the clean boot again... and no joy. This morning I uninstalled Superantispyware, Malwarebytes, then Avast. I didn't realize that SAS was running in the back ground until I PAID ATTENTION and noticed the driver was loading at boot up.

The system started just like normal... THAT IS NORMAL WINDOWS!!!! :D Even the Icons in the systray are visible (which haven't been for weeks). One problem occured during the Windows automatic updates... the computer did crash. It restarted and I am in normal windows again. I am currently on MS update site to see if I can get the latest updates installed. I tried this a while back and could not do it. I will post back in a while.

I'm glad to hear that! :)

It shouldn't happen but is not uncommon that a security program (or a combination) causes boot problems. After you install any available update you can reinstall them one at a time and see if the problem returns.

Hi again,

OK... the computer is working in normal windows mode. I have no AV or Malware detector installed at the moment. I disabled Windows Update because when trying to load updates the computer restarts. I have gone to the Windows Update site 3 times to attempt to DL and install updates. I keep getting a "fail" on the update for the Microsoft.NET Framework 1.1 SP1 speicifically KB 2656370.

Anyway... at least I'm back in.

Suggestions??

Well... I was going to install hijackthis to see about getting a log report so I could post it here. While on the DL site... the computer crashed. I still think I may be infected with a virus. Maybe it is allowing the system to run because the detectors are gone??? Reaching here but it is kind of wierd that I would be at that site and then crash.

Well... I am far from out of the woods. At least there is some progress. The scan ran for almost an hour and then the system crashed. Once it restarted the MBs Icon showed up in the systray. As soon as I clicked on it the system crashed again. I was lucky enough to get back on and uninstall MBs again. Then I attempt to run the DDS and the system crashed and this time a BSOD showed with a different error message the IRQ not less or equal to. I then restarted and attempted to get on the forum but the system crashed again.

Should I go back into safe mode and see if I can get the DDS to work from there?

I tried DDS again. got the same BSOD. I will go back into safe mode but while I am here I can write the errors.

Driver_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Tech Info

***Stop: 0x000000D1 (0xE149c000,, 0x000000FF, 0x00000000, oxF787FA28)

*** mbr.sys - Address F787FA28 base F787F000, DateStamp 4 cd665da

Thats GMER's mbr checking utility (incorporated in DDS) causing a BSOD, which is not uncommon. To be sure we can do an offline dump of your MBR so we can exclude any infection there.

Try this please. You will need a USB drive.

Download GETxPUD.exe to the desktop of your clean computer

• Run GETxPUD.exe
  • A new folder will appear on the desktop.
  • Open the GETxPUD folder and click on the get&burn.bat
  • The program will download xpud_0.9.2.iso, and upon finished will open BurnCDCC ready to burn the image.
  • Click on Start and follow the prompts to burn the image to a CD.
  • Remove the USB & CD and insert it in the sick computer
  • Boot the Sick computer with the CD you just burned
  • The computer must be set to boot from the CD
  • Gently tap F12 and choose to boot from the CD
  • Follow the prompts
  • A Welcome to xPUD screen will appear
  • Press File
  • Expand mnt
  • sda1,2...usually corresponds to your HDD
  • sdb1 is likely your USB
  • Click on the folder that represents your USB drive (sdb1 ?)
  • Press Tool at the top
  • Choose Open Terminal
  • Type the following and press enter:
    dd if=/dev/sda of=mbr.bin bs=512 count=1
  • Press Enter
  • After it has finished a file will be located on your USB drive named mbr.bin
  • Remove the USB drive and insert it back in your working computer and navigate to mbr.bin, zip it up and attach it to your next reply.

This will allow me to have a look at the MasterBootRecord of your drive and see if it is infected.

Hi,

I get the start up screen where it asks for the language on the bottom of the screen it says "automatic boot in..." counts down and then shuts down and reboots to the same screen. There is also a line that says press [tab} to edit options. That doesn't work.

??

It's not the disk... I just tried it in my NI computer and it worked.

I can get into normal windows. If I even attempt to DL or install Avast the computer shuts down. If I just search for weather etc... it runs fine.

This is... frustrating.