SpeedMyPC Ransonware

Hi,

Posting HJT log for Win 7 64 bit machine, relatively new install. Installed AV is ESET NOD32 v5 Home Edition.

Ransomware: SpeedMYPCPerformance had completely hijacked ESET where is not visible in installed programs or in the notification area, aka, system tray.

This is a bit of a new one on me.

Did run MBAM on the client machine, it did come back clean but I am remisss in not having it handly.

Appreciate the assistance !

The HJT Log >

Missing HJT Log hijackthis Post SpeedMaxPC.txt

Welcome to the forum, please start at the link below:

http://forums.malwar...?showtopic=9573

Post back the 2 logs.

<====><====><====><====><====><====><====><====>

Next.......

Please remove any usb or external drives from the computer before you run this scan!

Please download and run RogueKiller.

For Windows XP, double-click to start.

For Vista or Windows 7, do a right-click on the program, select Run as Administrator to start, & when prompted Allow to run.

Click Scan to scan the system (don't run any other options)

Post back the report.

MrC

Thanks for the reply, I will post back what was requested at next opportunity to work on the infected machine.

Regards,

How are we doing??

Do you still need help or can I close this post??

MrC

I have just confirmed an appointment to run the the additional required apps on Thursday, will post back when I have those log captures. Pardon the delay.

• 2 weeks later...

What's the exact name of this infection and what are the symptoms?

Not seeing anything so far.

Please do this........

Please download OTL from one of the links below:

http://oldtimer.geekstogo.com/OTL.exe

http://oldtimer.geekstogo.com/OTL.com (<---renamed version)

Save it to your desktop.

Double click on the icon on your desktop.

Click the Scan All Users checkbox.

Push the Quick Scan button.

The scan will take about 10 minutes...depends on your hard drive size.

Two reports will open, copy and paste them in a reply here: (or attach them as .txt files)

OTL.txt <-- Will be opened

Extra.txt <-- Will be minimized

MrC

I don't have an exact name, I can tell you the following. Someone in the household installed the already described ransomeware over-top of the ESET software rendering it useless.

You could not even see ESET in add | remove programs, thus, I suspected an infection. Since this is a new PC with a new installation of W7, I don't want to risk some rogueware running around the machine unabated.

The rogue app has been fully uninstalled, as far as I can tell. I will run OTL at next opportunity, which will be this week, there will be no extended delays as there have been.

Thanks for having a look and stand by for the OTL follow-up.

Regards,

Due to the lack of feedback this topic is closed to prevent others from posting here. If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this thread with your request. This applies only to the originator of this thread.

Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread. Thanks!