AVG Virus Scanner Accidentally Removes Critical Windows Component

• Root Admin

Please post the logs and we'll tell you exactly what happened. I can tell you right now though that it was not Malwarebytes that removed or corrupted the profile. Malware itself does though and sometimes there isn't much you can do to stop it, some code is just poorly written. Also depending on what is wrong there are many ways to repair or rebuild a profile. Not much can be done about it at this time, but in the future if you run into a situation like this to come seek assistance and we'll help you out with it.

• Staff

I just got a ticket earlier today from a user in support claiming that AVG is flagging our files, but the image they sent didn't actually show the files as bing targeted so I''m awaiting more precise info.

These guys have caused more headaches of late than any other software I can think of. :(

These guys have caused more headaches of late than any other software I can think of. :(

Yep, I agree, even though I haven't personally run across these issues.

• Staff
If I remember correctly it wasn't just AVG that deleted that file, I think Norton and McAfee have made the same mistake, or it could have been another file.
For certain there have even been others, but by far and away, AVG has been the most consistent in their corruption\removal of our files. Hundreds upon hundreds, likely much more had issues.