Helped by Forum to Delete Rootkit.0Access.H - now what?

Hi, The refresh - I think that is what it is - is still rippling on the browser.

Here is the ESET report:

C:\Qoobox\Quarantine\C\WINDOWS\system32\Drivers\netbt.sys.vir a variant of Win32/Sirefef.DA trojan cleaned by deleting - quarantined

C:\TDSSKiller_Quarantine\13.04.2012_15.10.05\rtkt0000\svc0000\tsk0000.dta Win32/Sirefef.DA trojan cleaned by deleting - quarantined

C:\TDSSKiller_Quarantine\13.04.2012_15.10.05\rtkt0000\zafs0000\tsk0008.dta Win32/Sirefef.ES trojan cleaned by deleting - quarantined

C:\TDSSKiller_Quarantine\13.04.2012_15.10.05\rtkt0000\zafs0000\tsk0010.dta a variant of Win32/Sirefef.EU trojan cleaned by deleting - quarantined

There was a checkbox which said, "Delete Quarantine," but you didn't say to check it, so I didn't.

post-96106-0-50479800-1334680753.jpg

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We'll leave combofix and TDSSkiller quarantine where they are until we confirm you are all cleaned up. :)

Please follow the steps here to reset internet explorer and let me know if that helps: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows-vista/Reset-Internet-Explorer-8-settings

Right click on your desktop and click "Properties," then click on the "Screen Saver" tab. Now click the "Power" button near the bottom and when the new window opens, make sure that the drop-down boxes next to "System Standby" does not say "Never." If it does, please change it.

What does that mean? I have been leaving it alone. This is my father's computer, where I perform the scans, and upload the screenshots and post the report. Then I leave and go use my computer, in another room. It looks regular.
What I mean is, leave the computer untouched for three minutes and let me know if it enters system standby automatically. :)

Can you start Internet explorer without addons and see if that helps? See here how to do that.

Hi,

What I mean is, leave the computer untouched for three minutes and let me know if it enters system standby automatically. :)

I had left the computer on, and it didn't enter standby. I turned the monitor off, and when I came back and turned it back on, the same image was there.

Thank you for helping me. My father is respecting me because of your help, which is rare. He used his monitor with his laptop, but is waiting until you give the "all-clear" for him to get back on the computer.

post-96106-0-93762000-1334763968.jpg

There is still the ripple effect of the browser . . .

When you give the "all-clear," the first thing my father will do is run PCTools Registry Mechanic, then compact the registry. You see the system health is low.

I'm dying to run it. When this computer is operating virus-free, Registry Mechanic does speed it up. But I won't do anything.

post-96106-0-30544400-1334764352.jpg

Unfortunately this is nothing something I recommend.

I don't personally recommend the use of ANY registry cleaners for several reasons.

Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications that can damage the registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable.

The Windows registry is a central repository (database) for storing configuration data, user settings and machine-dependent settings, and options for the operating system. It contains information and settings for all hardware, software, users, and preferences. Whenever a user makes changes to settings, file associations, system policies, or installed software, the changes are reflected and stored in this repository. The registry is a crucial component because it is where Windows "remembers" all this information, how it works together, how Windows boots the system and what files it uses when it does. The registry is also a vulnerable subsystem, in that relatively small changes done incorrectly can render the system inoperable. For a more detailed explanation, read Understanding The Registry.

Not all registry cleaners are created equal. There are a number of them available but they do not all work entirely the same way. Each vendor uses different criteria as to what constitutes a "bad entry". One cleaner may find entries on your system that will not cause problems when removed, another may not find the same entries, and still another may want to remove entries required for a program to work.

Not all registry cleaners create a backup of the registry before making changes. If the changes prevent the system from booting up, then there is no backup available to restore it in order to regain functionality. A backup of the registry is essential BEFORE making any changes to the registry.

Improperly removing registry entries can hamper malware disinfection and make the removal process more difficult if your computer becomes infected. For example, removing malware related registry entries before the infection is properly identified can contribute to system instability and even make the malware undetectable to removal tools.

The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in "unpredictable results".

Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.

ALL CLEAN

--------------

Your machine appears to be clean, please take the time to read below on how to secure the machine and take the necessary steps to keep it clean :)

Please do the following to remove the remaining programs from your PC:

• Delete the tools used during the disinfection:
    • Click start > run and type combofix /uninstall, press enter. This will remove Combofix from your computer.
    • Rerun OTL and click the Cleanup button. This should remove all tools and logs we used. It is important you do this after uninstalling combofix.

Please read these advices, in order to prevent reinfecting your PC:

1. Install and update the following programs regularly:
    • an outbound firewall. If you are connected to the internet through a router, you are already behind a hardware firewall and as such you do not need an extra software firewall.
      A comprehensive tutorial and a list of possible firewalls can be found here.
    • an AntiVirus Software
      It is imperative that you update your AntiVirus Software on regular basis.If you do not update your AntiVirus Software then it will not be able to catch the latest threats.
    • an Anti-Spyware program
      Malware Byte's Anti Malware is an excellent Anti-Spyware scanner. It's scan times are usually under ten minutes, and has excellent detection and removal rates.
      SUPERAntiSpyware is another good scanner with high detection and removal rates.
      Both programs are free for non commercial home use but provide a resident and do not nag if you purchase the paid versions.
    • Spyware Blaster
      A tutorial for Spywareblaster can be found here. If you wish, the commercial version provides automatic updating.

[*]Keep Windows (and your other Microsoft software) up to date!

I cannot stress how important this is enough. Often holes are found in Internet Explorer or Windows itself that require patching. Sometimes these holes will allow an attacker unrestricted access to your computer.

Therefore, please, visit the Microsoft Update Website and follow the on screen instructions to setup Microsoft Update. Also follow the instructions to update your system. Please REBOOT and repeat this process until there are no more updates to install!!

[*]Keep your other software up to date as well

Software does not need to be made by Microsoft to be insecure. You can use the Secunia Online Software occasionally to help you check for out of date software on yourmachine.

[*]Stay up to date!

The MOST IMPORTANT part of any security setup is keeping the software up to date. Malware writers release new variants every single day. If your software updates don't keep up, then the malware will always be one step ahead. Not a good thing.

Some more links you might find of interest:

Please reply to this topic if you have read the above information. If your computer is working fine, this topic will be closed afterwards.

Hi Elise, Thanx for getting back to me! The "Standby" button on Shutdown is still unclickable.

I am happy to report that this computer is set up to do updates automatically on shutting down, as you can see from the attached. So my father has that right.

I will have to have my Dad read what you said about the registry cleaner. I thought, that is useful when malware causes damage, to undo the damage once the malware is gone.

$$ is low for me, but I am going to try to purchase the professional copy of Malware bytes. I think the license allows us to install it on both desktop computers in the home, right? Also, there are two laptops in the home. My Dad would probably want to install it on his pc in another state as well. What does the license cover? We have to decide where we are going to install it.

So the refresh is still buggy, and the Standby button isn't live, but I want to start the steps you suggested, above.

post-96106-0-46501600-1334767154.jpg

Okay. I ran Malwarebytes the 2nd time; and it came out 0 infections. Then I followed your steps

ALL CLEAN

--------------

Your machine appears to be clean, please take the time to read below on how to secure the machine and take the necessary steps to keep it clean :)

Please do the following to remove the remaining programs from your PC:

• Delete the tools used during the disinfection:
    • Click start > run and type combofix /uninstall, press enter. This will remove Combofix from your computer.
    • Rerun OTL and click the Cleanup button. This should remove all tools and logs we used. It is important you do this after uninstalling combofix.

The RK_Quarantine folder you didn't say, "delete," so I removed it to the reports folder over this incident.

The refresh is still buggy on this site, and the StandbyButton is not live.

My father listened to the advice: 1. Get rid of RegistryMechanic

2. purchase professional MalwareBytes.

And he is considering it. Now, he sees the virus is gone and wants back on his computer. Maybe when we restart the computer, the updates will take care of the two obvious glitches.

Thank you so much for all your hard work! I wish this thread would be left open for 24 hours to report back anything, and to hear a response from you.

Thank you from my family to you, @ Elise - you rock! :D

No problem with leaving it open! :)

A registry defrag or compacting isn't necessary, although a disk defrag is a good thing to do.

As for the browser issues, I'd run Windows update, see if there are updates for IE8 available and install them. You could also consider using an alternative browser like Firefox or Chrome and see if they too have issues.

The standby-button issue is not uncommon (I checked and have one XP box with the same issue, and while I didn't have a lot of time to look I couldn't find an obvious cause).

Hi, Following some suggestions for "the ripple effect," I see that the graphics driver appears to need reinstalling - view attached.

Adjusting the display, I can select 1024X768, but it switches to 800x600. So, the monitor now only displays either 800X600 or 12801024.

Still the "Standby" button is not clickable for restarting the computer . . .

post-96106-0-27206100-1335292597.jpg

Can you right click the device (NVidea display driver) and select Properties? On the first tab it should give you a description of the problem. Can you copy that here?

Right click the device and select Update Driver and see if that installs the correct driver. If that doesn't work, select Uninstall Driver, reboot and the Found New Hardware wizard should come up. Let it search the internet for drivers and install them.

The Standby problem is a common one and there is no clear cause nor solution for it unfortunately.

At last! After installing Nvidia's GeForce4 MX 440 that my brother emailed me using Google Docs, the computer is back to the normal we know!

The resolution had been glitchy at either 800 X 600 or 1280 X 720 - no in between! Plus, the ripple effect on scrolling is enough to drive a person insane. That's gone.

The ripple effect is gone.

The resolution is an in between at: 1152 X 864 - very comfortable.

The "Standby" button on shutdown is live again.

Now, I feel we really showed the Rootkit.0Access.H virus the door, and got the computer back running great again - thanx! :D