I reinstalled MBAM, and it's now ok, but I thought I should report this issue anyway - this was seriously messed up.

The update seemed to be going normally until I clicked restart, after the restart nothing but my wallpaper appeared - no icons, taskbar, or start button. Ctrl+Alt+Del brought up the Task Manager, but shutdown didn't work. Nothing worked, had to punch the power button. Restarted, still the same; restarted again and logged in as a different user, no difference.

Booted into Safe Mode, everything was normal; rebooted again to normal mode, still broken. Back to Safe Mode, ran System Restore, then everything worked except MBAM - just got a message the database was missing or corrupted, did I want to download it? Elected instead to uninstall and reinstall from a fresh download. Works fine now.

Running MBAM Free on Win XP SP3, Windows Firewall. I haven't added any autoruns since MBAM last updated. The Task Manager didn't show any unusual activity; RAM use was low and CPU use 0. Nothing helpful in the Event Viewer, either. I have no clue what brought this on.

I'd be happy to provide any other info that might help.

Hello Greenknight and Welcome the Malwarebytes Forums.

I am glad you were able to resolve the problem but I would like to get some information from your computer to see if we can recreate the problem. Please run this tool,

Please Download OTL to your Desktop:

To Use OTL:

Get OTL From http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/files/file/398-otl-oldtimers-list-it/

Double click on the icon to run it. Make sure all other windows are closed and to let it run uninterrupted.

OTL should now start. Change the following settings

Change Drivers to All

Change Standard Registry to All

Under File Scans, change File age to 30

Click the Run Scan button. Do not change any settings unless otherwise told to do so. The scan wont take long.

When the scan completes, it will open two notepad windows. OTL.Txt and Extras.Txt (first run only). These are saved in the same location as OTL.

Please attach these 2 files in your next reply.

Thank you.

• 4 weeks later...

Turned out not to be anything to do with MBAM; it was the Avast problem discussed here: http://forum.avast.c...p?topic=94171.0

It occurred randomly, just coincidence that the first time was after updating MBAM. It kept getting worse/more frequent, and I couldn't figure it out. Got so bad I restored a disk image from months earlier, which fixed it - until I updated Avast. That pinned it down.

I've switched to Avira, and everything's fine now. :D

We are glad you got it all sorted out. Thanks for coming by and letting us know here at Malwarebytes.

Should you have any further problems or questions don't hesitate to ask or post.