Infected with Rogue.FakeHDD

Last weekend I was infected with this trojan. It basically hijacked my desktop, prompting me to scan my hard drive, otherwise it would fail. Closing the prompt made it come back again and again. I started getting error messages: “A Write command during the test failed to complete”, culminating with a “System error, hard disk failure detected”. All the icons on desktop disappeared leaving only one “Smart_Hdd” shortcut.

I noticed it would delete all of the files in any folders I would open. Running McAfee or MalwareBytes did not work, the trojan would stop them from running. I logged off my admin account and logged onto a guest account, but I was unable to run Viruscan or MalwareBytes again.

After doing some research on a different computer at BleepingComputer.com, I was able to run RKill from my external flash drive to kill the trojan process. Then I could run MalwareBytes to remove it, but my folders and desktop were still empty. My used hard drive space didn't change, so the files were not deleted, just hidden. To recover my files, I ran Unhide.exe from the desktop a couple of times (each subsequent time, it would recover additional folders). So far, the only directory I haven't been able to recover is C:\Users\All Users.

I also ran DDS and I am posting the logfiles here, as well as the MalwareBytes logfile.

I want to recover C:\Users\All Users and make sure every trace of this trojan is removed. Please help.

Oops, here are the files.

Attach.txt

DDS.txt

mbam-log-2012-04-01 (13-48-49).txt

For Windows 7 users, the all users start menu is C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs and the all users desktop folder is C:\Users\Public\Desktop

Also you can use this option With Windows 7 / Vista:

You can restore the Start menu to its original, default settings.

1.Open Taskbar and Start Menu Properties by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking Appearance and Personalization, and then clicking Taskbar and Start Menu.

2.Click the Start Menu tab, and then click Customize.

3.In the Customize Start Menu dialog box, click Use Default Settings, and then click OK.

Due to the lack of feedback this topic is closed to prevent others from posting here. If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this thread with your request. This applies only to the originator of this thread.

Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread. Thanks!