what files should be added to the scanner "ignore list" to effect reduced scanning time?

[this was not supposed to have posted yet: i hadn't completed it!]

this question http://forums.malwar...=1 from a different perspective ... i would have expected that the following questions would be next-questions, but i don't see them having been asked.

where are new infections -- less than 72 hours; less than 30 minutes -- likely to hide?

some files, such as "temporary internet files," tie up an inordinate portion of the scan -- can i safely add the 'temporary internet files' folder to the 'ignore list' - do infections usually lurk there? what folders should i configure the scan to ignore so as to effect a reduction of scan time ?

Temp locations (and really ALL locations checked by our Quick Scan) are the hot spots where infections like to hide. If it takes a long time to scan your temp folders or temporary internet files, then I would recommend clearing those temp locations, as such temp files aren't needed and can grow to a considerable size over time, not only slowing down scans, but also taking up unnecessary disk space.

That being said, I would only recommend doing this as long as you have seen no clear indication of infection on your system, such as missing shortcuts or folders from your desktop or START menu. The reason I say that is because there are some infections (usually fake defragmenter software) that will hide these files and folders within temp locations, and you would need to restore them before running a temp file cleaner in order to prevent them from being lost permanently.

OK, now that I got that disclaimer out of the way, as long as your PC is running normally with no clear signs of infection, then I would recommend occasionally running a temp file cleaner, such as CCleaner, which I've provided instructions for below:

Use CCleaner to Remove Temp Files:

• CCleaner from here and save the installer to your desktop.
  • Close all open internet browser windows
  • Double click on the ccsetup file to start the installation of the program.
  • Select your language and click OK, then click Next.
  • Read the license agreement and click I Agree.
  • Uncheck the box next to Install the free Google Toolbar along with CCleaner unless you want to install the Google Toolbar (not required for using CCleaner).
  • Click Install then click Finish to complete installation.
  • Double click the CCleaner shortcut on the desktop to start the program.
  • On the Windows tab, under Internet Explorer, uncheck Cookies if you do not want them deleted. (If deleted, you will likely need to reenter your passwords at all sites where a cookie is used to recognize you when you visit)
  • If you use Firefox or any other Mozilla browsers, the box to uncheck for Cookies is on the Applications tab, under Firefox/Mozilla.
  • Click on the Options icon at the left side of the window, then click on Advanced.
    uncheck Only delete files in Windows Temp folders older than 24 hours.
  • Click on the Cleaner icon on the left side of the window, then click Run Cleaner to run the program.
  • Caution: It is not recommended that you use the Registry feature unless you are very familiar with the registry as it has been known to find legitimate items for removal, which can cause issues with other programs.
  • After CCleaner has completed its process, click Exit.