Another "Threat?

alicez

A week or so ago MB scan picked up a "Threat" that was not really a Threat.

After downloading today (3/21/2012) recent definitions, MB has picked up another Threat and I wonder why, all of a sudden MB is picking this file as a "Threat" when it has been on the Vista since 11/5/2011 (in Download folder)?

(I believe we were, at that time, converting some old VHS tapes to DVD, or something similar.)

What do I do?

Adware.AKN

File

C:\Users\MyName\Downloads\AVIT oMP4ConverterSetupD.exe

??

http://img845.images...4/mbthreat2.jpg

=================

Hello, alicez:

Until an MBAM staffer arrives, information about reporting about false positives can be found in this sticky topic, including uploading the file to virustotal, etc:

READ BEFORE REPORTING A FALSE POSITIVE!

Then, please post with the requested information in the False Positives section.

One of the MBAM engineers will evaluate the file in question, and update the MBAM database accordingly, if needed.

False-positives happen occasionally with nearly all security programs. (And it's certainly better than having a program miss real malware.)

However, if this is indeed a FP, then I'm sure the MBAM folks will correct things promptly.

HTH,

daledoc1

===============

This is about all I am able to do because I am new at this:

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 1.60.1.1000

www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: v2012.03.22.04

Windows Vista Service Pack 2 x86 NTFS

Internet Explorer 8.0.6001.19190

Bob :: BOB-PC [administrator]

3/22/2012 3:51:30 PM

mbam-log-2012-03-22 (15-53-33).txt

Scan type: Quick scan

Scan options enabled: Memory | Startup | Registry | File System | Heuristics/Extra | Heuristics/Shuriken | PUP | PUM

Scan options disabled: P2P

Objects scanned: 178003

Time elapsed: 1 minute(s), 46 second(s)

Memory Processes Detected: 0

(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Detected: 0

Registry Keys Detected: 0

Registry Values Detected: 0

Registry Data Items Detected: 0

Folders Detected: 0

Files Detected: 1

C:\Users\Bob\Downloads\AVIToMP4ConverterSetupD.exe (Adware.RKN) -> No action taken.

(end)

Can you please attach the file or a dev scan per the instructions in this forum?

A tip for the future. This is just saying its adware and not really a harmfull threat like a trojan.

As I explained, I am new to all of this and could only send you the copy of the log. I don't know how to do the other thing you requested. This is very complicated for me as a senior citizen with no computer knowledge.

• Staff

Ok instructions are here:

http://forums.malwar...?showtopic=3228

That will get us a dev log.

You can navigate to the files location on your computer and right click the file. Hit send to compressed.

Then reply here using the more options button and attach that compressed zip file.

Otherwise without this information i have nothing to go on to get this fixed.

I think it was placed the file in the "Ignore."

Evidentally it now cannot be removed from the "Ignore" folder.

Let me check and see what was done with the file. This is all so confusing. I thought you could do something with the log I posted above. Didn't know a zip file would show more information that the log I posted.

I am just os upset by all of this.

• Staff

There is nothing to be upset about. Basically mbam is alerting you on this detection that this software may contain adware. If you can live the with the adware( popups and the like) then its really no big deal.

If we are detecting this wrong i can only tell from the dev log and the file itself. So i would need those zipped and submitted.

Maybe this link will help you on how to zip files.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Compress-and-uncompress-files-zip-files

There is nothing to be upset about. Basically mbam is alerting you on this detection that this software may contain adware. If you can live the with the adware( popups and the like) then its really no big deal.

If we are detecting this wrong i can only tell from the dev log and the file itself. So i would need those zipped and submitted.

Maybe this link will help you on how to zip files.

http://windows.micro...files-zip-files

I uninstalled MB and reinstalled, because I couldn't get the file out of the "ignore" section. I thought there would be a "reinstate" in the "Ignore" section, but there was no way to get that file out of the "Ignore" section. When I reinstalled new MB, I ran a new scan thinking it would pick up that file. However, it did not and when I looked in the "Ignore" seciton, I noticed that the file was STILL there. I don't know why it was not erased when I deleted the MB.

I am completely lost with regard to this "problem/ FP / etc." and think it is best I just leave it in the "Ignore" and forget all about it.

P.S. I presume there is no way to take/renive it out of the :"Ignore" folder, so that another scan would pick it up?

I posted attachment but it included information that I think should not be shown on the attachment (folder.zip instead of just file.zip)

I think (maybe) I included stuff that should not be posted.

Maybe posting folder.zip instead of just file.zip, etc. I believe I deleted the attachment ,because it was folder.zip, rahter than file.zip and included more information than I think you needed .(If you do see an attachment anywhere on this post or previous posts, please DELETE it! I do not want any info about my computer posted on this thread. Thank you.)

I am still trying to figure out how to attach just the zip file, instead of zip folder.

www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: v2012.03.27.08

3/27/2012 9:27:53 PM

mbam-log-2012-03-27 (21-34-22).txt

Scan options enabled: Memory | Startup | Registry | File System | Heuristics/Extra | Heuristics/Shuriken | PUP | PUM

Objects scanned: 178933

Time elapsed: 2 minute(s), 56 second(s)

C:\Users\Bob\Downloads\AVIToMP4ConverterSetupD.exe (Adware.RKN) -> No action taken.

(end)

I don't see any attachment, however, please do post a developer log. To do so:

• Make certain that Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is not open
  • Click on START and choose Run (if you do not see Run, then simply press the Windows key+R on your keyboard)
  • In the Run box type mbam /developer and press Enter or click on OK
  • Click Yes if prompted by User Account Control
  • Perform a Quick Scan with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
  • Save the log as you did above and post the log's contents into your next reply

www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: v2012.03.27.08

3/28/2012 11:39:41 AM

mbam-log-2012-03-28 (11-49-56).txt

Objects scanned: 178903

Time elapsed: 3 minute(s), 51 second(s)

C:\Users\Bob\Downloads\AVIToMP4ConverterSetupD.exe (Adware.RKN) -> No action taken. [9430c9baee6ec6708ffec6d0e21e1fe1]

(end)

• Staff

This is detected correctly as it includes the facemoods adware at the end of the install.

If you dont mind this adware you can simply add it to the ignore list. I was able to find a copy of the file on the internet.

Again adware detections are more of an advisory to you then a threat like a trojan. or something.