XP SP2 / Malwarebytes 1.60.1.1000 won't update

I'm having a problem on a clean install of Windows XP SP2, with the latest version of Avast. First of all, I ran killdisc before loading Windows XP, so I know it's not a virus problem. I repair computers, and I've installed Malwarebytes and Windows XP SP2 on many many computers without a problem ... until now.

I installed MB 1.60.1.1000 ... installs fine, but when it tries to update, the update box comes up, then disappears. Tried running a quick scan, and MB crashes after a few seconds into the scan.

Tried uninstalling, restarting, running mbam-clean, restarting, then re-installing ... still the same. Tried disabling Avast ... no change. I finally installed an old version I had around, 1.50.0.0, and it works fine.

By the way, I don't know if it makes any difference, but this laptop originally had Windows Vista with a Sata HHD .... customer didn't have original disk, so I installed Windows XP SP2 ... but the HHD drive letter showed up as "E" not "C" when installed.

Hello and welcome to MBAM, Geoffzie: :)

I'm having a problem on a clean install of Windows XP SP2

As per MBAM Forum Admin AdvancedSetup's advice in the other topic, you REALLY need to update to SP3 -- XP SP2 has been DEAD for a LONG time (July 2010), is highly insecure and is a set-up for infection! :)

By the way, I don't know if it makes any difference... but the HHD drive letter showed up as "E" not "C" when installed.

Please see the FAQ- Section Q: Malwarebytes Anti-Malware won't open on Windows XP but the computer is not infected for a possible fix for this situation. :)

Also the FAQ - Section K explains how to set the reciprocal permissions/exclusions between MBAM and Avast! in order to optimize system performance. :)

Please let us know if this resolves your issues.

If not, and/or you think you might be infected, please follow AdvancedSetup's suggestions HERE.

Thanks!

daledoc1

OK, that solved the problem (changing the drive letter of the SD Card Reader). For some reason, When Windows XP loaded, it designated the card Reader as drive "C" ... I changed it to "F" and Malwarebytes works fine.

I work at a thift store and refurbish computers (mostly older ones, P3 and P4), and I've had a lot of issues updating to SP3 for some reason ... SP2 works fine on any computer it seems.

Thanks for your product ... I've used it hundreds of times to clean the worst of infections on customer computers!