where has my rules.ref gone?

I have downloaded and installed version 1.60. It runs with no problems, but the DB is old (42 days). After I download (mbam-rules.exe) and install the latest DB, when I run the program I get the DB missing or corrupt message. When I look in the location where rules.ref was with the install of 1.60, rules.ref is now gone. I re-install 1.60 and the old rules.ref is back. Anytime I try to install the latest rules (mbam-rules.exe) I end up with no rules.ref on my computer. Computer OS is WinXP. Whats going on here?

Hi and welcome to MBAM, f-14:

Until an MBAM staffer comes along....

I am pretty sure mbam-rules.exe does NOT work with the current MBAM version (1.60) (see below).

Are you trying to update the MBAM definitions on an infected system that cannot access the internet?

If so, please follow the steps in the FAQ - Section A - Item #4 for help with doing so:

ISSUE: I need to get the latest database onto a computer that cannot access the Internet.

SOLUTION: You can manually copy the database from a working computer using a flash drive or CD onto the infected PC. Our database file is stored in the following locations.

Windows XP and 2000

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref

Windows Vista and Windows 7:

C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref

Note: Starting with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 1.60, you must also copy the file database.conf located within the Configuration folder which is in the same folder as rules.ref listed above.

You can also download a manual update from here - NOTE: This manual update will always be way behind in version level compared to updates from within the program and currently only works with versions of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware before 1.60.

Please post back and let us know if this resolves your issue.

Thanks!

daledoc1

I copied the rules.ref and database.conf from another computer that is connected to the internet and had the latest of these files. Ran MBAM.exe and it showed it had the latest rules and I started it scanning. Everything looked good until partway through the scan it ran into an error.

Error Signature

Appname: Mbam.exe

Appver: 1.60.0.61

Modname: Mbamcore.dll

Offset: 0065c92

Any ideas on this one?

Hi, f-14:

Hmmm.

Not sure about that error.

I suppose it could be the infection that is preventing MBAM from running properly.

Since I'm just another home user, and since you are working to get MBAM running on an infected machine, until an MBAM staffer arrives, I'd probably suggest the following:

1) Some helpful tips on trying to get MBAM to run on an infected machine can be found in this article: HERE, or...

2) You could get one-on-one assistance from the malware experts by choosing one of the following 3 options. Even if you cannot get MBAM to run, the experts -- using any of the 3 options -- would be able to help getting the machine cleaned up and running. In order to do so, please read below:

PLEASE CHOOSE ONE OF THE FOLLOWING 3 OPTIONS:

OPTION 1: Free, one-on-one, expert assistance in the Malware Removal Forum.

OPTION 2: For paid users of MBAM PRO, free, one-on-one, expert assistance from MBAM support.

OPTION 3: Fee-based, one-on-one, expert assistance from Premium Support.

OPTION 1:

• Please print out, read and carefully follow the instructions in the "I'm Infected - What Do I Do Now?" article.
  • --->If the infection has so crippled the computer that you cannot complete some or all of the steps, then just do the best you can, and start a new topic as described below.

• Then please start a new post in the Malware Removal Forum.
  • When starting your new post, please note the following:
  • Please do NOT post in a topic started by someone else, even if their problem sounds similar.
  • Please COPY/PASTE the requested logs into your post, rather than attaching them.
  • Under options, please be sure to select "track this topic" and "immediate email notification", so you'll know when a helper responds.

• Please be patient - it may be 48 hours or more before a helper can assist you, especially when the forum is very busy.
  • Please do NOT "bump" your topic or reply back to it for at least 48 hours.
  • Doing so may cause your topic to be overlooked, as it will appear that you are already being helped.

OPTION 2:

If you are a paid user of MBAM PRO and prefer expert assistance via email, please send an email to support@malwarebytes.org, or contact the help desk here.

OPTION 3:

If you would like to use the Malwarebytes Premium Services (comprehensive solutions to all your computer support needs – from installation and set-up to troubleshooting and tune-ups), please go to our Premium Support site here.

Please be patient – someone will assist you as soon as possible.

Thank you very much,

daledoc1

I dont think my computer is infected. It runs fine. I just dont have it connected to the internet. This problem started when I installed MBAM 1.60. I also have Vipre and Advanced system Care by IObit running on the PC.

Hello f-14 and :welcome:

As stated earlier, mbam-rules.exe does not work with the latest version of Malwarebytes. They are in the process of updating it so it will work with the current version.

Also I recommend that you do not use the products from IObit as they have been know to be shady and have been caught stealing from Malwarebytes, you can read about it HERE.

Since you are using Viper and if your having problems with V1.60 updating, you can try this fix.

• Open VIPRE
  • Click Web Filter Settings
  • Click Allowed Web Sites
  • Add "data-cdn.mbamupdates.com" (without the quotes)
  • click OK
  • Close VIPRE

Now MBAM V1.60 should update normally.

Additionally you need to exclude Malwarebytes files from your Viper antivirus as listed below.

Please exclude the following files from your Antivirus Software (not sure what version of you are using):

Note: If using a software firewall besides the built in Windows Firewall you'll need to exclude them from it as well

For Windows XP:

• C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.dll
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamext.dll
  • C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbam.sys
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

Note: If using a software firewall besides the built in Windows Firewall you'll need to exclude MBAM.EXE and MBAMSERVICE.EXE from it as well

Note: Once that's done, please make sure that if either of those programs has any sort of web filter, that you add the following as a trusted site:

data-cdn.mbamupdates.com

The FAQ contains examples of setting file exclusions for some known AV products

Please post back and let us know how it went.