malwares in vista - help

Propy

(I posted this by mistake in the general section, so here is the repost. Please help!)

Hi! I installed Malwarebytes Anti-Malware earlier this week after I had been given the advice to switch from Ad-Aware AE. It works very well on my three xp machines!

But, when I installed it on my laptop, it runs vista (vista business sp1), and did a quick scan it detected 62 objects! They all became tagged "delete on reboot" so I rebooted. After another scan they are still there. I have tried it four times! when I do a custom scan of the c:\user\default\.. they do not apear, but they are detected on quick scan.

I have tried viewing the directories through cmd, but they don't exist! they are however all located in c:\users\default\...

so my questions;

1. are they really there? no other program detects them (ad-aware, avg, pctools, win defender (not at the same time))

2. are they dangerous?

3. how do I remove them if they are located in default, which is recreated on reboot?

4. is this a good protection for my vista laptop; PC-tools, malware bytes anti-malware (both free versions), win firewall and win defender? or should I have something that is active, like ad-aware AE?

my log (latest) below. its in swedish but I hope you get it anyway, otherwise just ask!

---

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.33

Databasversion: 1709

Windows 6.0.6001 Service Pack 1

2009-01-30 22:42:43

mbam-log-2009-01-30 (22-42-43).txt

Skanningstyp: Snabb skanning

Antal skannade objekt: 52452

F

• Root Admin

Sorry for the delay.

Is this an Acer laptop by any chance?

I'm thinking this is a FP but I'm not sure. The lead developer is out of town right now so I can't ask him to check on it right now.

While waiting for him to return, if you can please download this tool. Put a blank CDR in your burner and then double click the file to run it and automatically burn a bootable Anti-Virus scanning CD. Then boot with the CD. It comes in German and English by clicking the British flag you can use English on the bottom left.

Requires access to a working computer with a CD/DVD burner to create a bootable CD.

Avira AntiVir Rescue System
    Avira AntiVir Rescue System is a Linux-based application that allows accessing computers that cannot be booted anymore. Thus it is possible to:

• repair a damaged system,
  • rescue data,

• scan the system for virus infections.

Just double-click on the rescue system package to burn it to a CD/DVD. You can then use this CD/DVD to boot your computer.
    The Avira AntiVir Rescue System is updated several times a day so that the most recent security updates are always available.

thanks for the answer.

My laptop is a LG.

Since my post I have tried to scan using spybot too, again without any results...I found out that another guy had the same problem, unfortunately he got no replay. But since no other program is able to find anything and the folders doesnt seem to exist I'm not sure that there is a real problem...

I am a little worried about using the program you linked to, what if it removes something that is needed. It maybe thing unique to LG that are misinterpret by the anti-virus program....

what do you think I should do? am I safe...

• Root Admin

This is a known FP only for a very limited amount of Vista systems with specific circumstances and is currently being reviewed.

Topic is closed to prevent others from posting here. If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this thread with your request. This applies only to the originator of this thread.

Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread. Thanks!

The fixes and advice in this thread are for this machine only. Do not apply the instructions from this thread to your own machine. Please start a new thread describing your issue and someone will be along to assist you.