What do I,or any user, have a right to expect?

ypestis

You expect a reply in less that an hour? This forum is run by volunteers, we are not paid. Then to be rude about it, I'm not even going to bother.

No what I expect is for any software (a few baby steps out of BETA stage) not to generate false positives in Windows System files,that if removed lead to a broken system.

But of course this is the software of experts.Just ask Wilders.

It is sad to see that even after JeanInMontana scuttled off like a scalded dog,the hatefull,smartass

attitude she represented is alive and well on your forums.

ypestis,

It was an FP and it was taken care immediately. Even though that is a system file, malware does patch it/infect it. I assure you malwarebytes strives hard to prevent FP's, however they do happen. When they do they are fixed as soon as possible. The forums are run by volunteers (like myself). We do are best to respond as soon as possible. I can't speak for anyone else, but we just ask for patience.

No what I expect is for any software (a few baby steps out of BETA stage) not to generate false positives in Windows System files,that if removed lead to a broken system.

But of course this is the software of experts.Just ask Wilders.

It is sad to see that even after JeanInMontana scuttled off like a scalded dog,the hatefull,smartass

attitude she represented is alive and well on your forums.

I apologize if I came off rude in my reply. Getting rude at the fact that nobody replied to your thread in less than an hour and then to say "now I remember why I removed this software the first time" was uncalled for as is your name calling.

But I would like to point out that a false positive is the reality of any anti-virus/malware/spyware product out there. We try hard to prevent them from happening, but the reality is they will always be there. We are sorry about the false positive.

I apologize if I came off rude in my reply. Getting rude at the fact that nobody replied to your thread in less than an hour and then to say "now I remember why I removed this software the first time" was uncalled for as is your name calling.

But I would like to point out that a false positive is the reality of any anti-virus/malware/spyware product out there. We try hard to prevent them from happening, but the reality is they will always be there. We are sorry about the false positive.

That is more than enough.

while I will never use malwarebytes antimaleware in the future,as I do not trust it,nor feel in any way comfortable with it,I feel the forum is staffed with those deserving of the highest respect due to their loyality to there forum,even if the software is beneth them.

thank you

ypestis

while I will never use malwarebytes antimaleware in the future

That's a shame because its one of the top Anti-Spyware programs around. I've used it hundreds of times with no problems.

as you tell it does happen, but not that often

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=226070

Well, i spook my mind on your issue and fully disagree with you. Stay safe and malware free. Good Luck.

I seem to recall an issue not too long ago where a very reputable antivirus (Kaspersky, which I use by the way) detected explorer.exe as a virus in Windows. It made the Cnet headlines (and others) as it affected many users (obviously, it's explorer.exe). I'd say Kaspersky was WELL out of the beta stages when that occured (they'd already been around for several years). Honestly, FP's suck (pardon my language, but it's true), but they happen. I'd say considering that most software vendors (including other AV and AS companies) usually take at least 24-48 hours to even respond to a support issue, much less correct it, that the support offered here by the mods and developers is top notch. In fact, when a FP is reported I've seen it take less than 15 minutes for them to update the definitions and fix the issue, I've never seen ANY other company patch a problem that quickly ever and I've used just about every security software out there.

To reiterrate what someone else said, I think people need to remember that this forum is volunteer support. The people help here out of the goodness of their hearts and probably have real jobs to do as well. If malwarebytes offered a paid support program, like some other companies do, _maybe_ a different level of support could be expected, but less than an hour?? Forget it. There are thuosands of people screaming for help and it's going to be on a first come, first served basis and there are only so many resources to go around - even at the largest companies.

I think the Malwarebytes supoort team does what they do exceptionally well. They take a lot of crap from users yet still are willing to help those in need. I think their services should be applauded and not denigrated. This product still manages to deal with that which others cannot. In the end, that's the measure that counts.

To the staff - thank you for all your hard work. Please ignore the ones that insult you.

Panagiotis

As an employee of Malwarebytes, allow me to step in here and say this:

While there was a false positive that deleted the system file beep.sys, note that it was fixed so fast that I first heard about it a few hours later.

Also, while it's a terrible thing when an anti-malware application deletes a system file, please keep in mind that beep.sys is constantly abused by malware. Since it's not an important system file, and no one notices when it's been tampered with, it's a prime target for trojans to play with. It can also be deleted from the system without causing any problems.

So far, the extent of the damage is that a few people will never have to hear Windows send annoying error beeps though their PC speaker again. Those with sound cards will probably never notice that beep.sys is missing, and those who do can restore it from quarantine.

Now, if a small false positive like that is enough to make you freak out and never use our software again, and if we have not earned your trust as the best tool against today's toughest malware, then good bye. We will never make you happy, so there's no point in you using our software.

For those of you who are not so flighty, let me assure you that our research team will always deal with such issues as quickly as they can. Accidentally deleting system files is not a small matter to us, and our research team will do everything they can to make sure that such an issue is dealt with as quickly as is possible. They understand the gravity of such a mistake in their database, and they do try to prevent such mistakes from happening.

Rainbow:

Since it's not an important system file, and no one notices when it's been tampered with, it's a prime target for trojans to play with.

I think this topic as served its point. While I apologize if I offended anyone, I stand by my decision to not help because of your rudeness. The false positives have been explained already, and we apologize that they happened; however you must remember false positives are a realitiy of an anti-spyware/malware/virus application and we try our hardest to prevent them from happening.

• Root Admin

I did not close this thread, however I would like to contribute to it. And I get to do that because I have a pretty red tag line right? All jokes aside, false positives happen and we really, really, (really!) take the biggest steps we can to make sure they don't. We don't have many system killers and when we do, the research team gets a phone call no matter where they are and they better be fixing it in minutes.

Anyway, if you are looking for more 'personalized' help there is always the helpdesk. Allow 8 hours for an initial response but rest assured it will be by a Malwarebytes' employee. No offense to any volunteers here, you guys are great, but the Malwarebytes team knows the software inside and out and we can always answer any difficult questions.

Guest remixed

Since i, along with many others, have been tracking and reporting 'Rogues' and other malicious software i have repeatedly been shocked by the performance of the so called 'big boys' security software. Just look at Jaxryley, Joel or sho-dan's Virus-Total results and you'll see a consistant pattern...2/37...4/37..8/37 and although these b*stards morph like never before you can pretty much guarantee MBAM is one the first to nail 'em. Given that MBAM is not an A/V (and never claims to be) and it's FREE, i have never been as impressed with a security software, not since the early Ad-Aware releases, as i am with MBAM. I think we should be asking the 20-30 scanners for which consumers paid good $