Can't run/open malwarebytes or anything else...

Hi, I am hoping to find some help here as I have exhausted all ideas and possibilities.

I know I was to run dds and post the logs, but absolutely nothing will run or even open on my computer. Nothing, pictures will appear as thumbnails but wont open when I click on them. Files of any type won't open. (Although for some reason Superantispyware will open and run, but changes nothing) Not just exe.... I can access internet explorer by going through the C drive. But that is all. Every file will not open. This includes in safe mode. My system restore doesn't work. My system recovery is denied access. etc. I have attempted to rename the mbam file to explorer.exe still won't open. I have given myself control over every file.. I attempt to open as administrator. No different..ugh. If there is any suggestions that I haven't tried I would be very appreciative. Thank you.

Rebecca :unsure:

:welcome:

Please do the following to see if it resolves the issue: Post back and let us know please

Go to C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Chameleon

Double Click Chameleon to open the file.

Try clicking Test until one of them works.

MBAM will open and run a quick scan.

Hi! Thank you for working with me! I dont have that file listed in my malwarebytes folder. I have tried to do everything to find a chameleon file and it just isnt there. There are 17 items in the folder... but no chameleon. But double clicking any other file wont open either. I can't seem to open anything at all, no matter what kind of file. I tried reinstalling malwarebytes and now have several copies on my desktop..lol... but none will open or run. renamed them etc. I have tried everything in safe mode also.

Thank you!

I gave up and tried recovery also, but that file keeps saying access denied. (even with giving myself ownership, running as administrator etc. )

Sorry, this is my extremely frustrating problem ugh.. :( It wont install or run. I can download it to my desktop, but it wont open or run. I tried renaming the file etc. but there isnt any file type that will run. I homeschool and all of my saved files and even the kids cd games wont run or load. I can open them all (accept c files documents and settings and recovery. They are both "locked") but nothing will run.

Rebecca

Print out these instructions as we may need to close every window that is open later in the fix.

It is possible that the infection you are trying to remove will not allow you to download files on the infected computer. If this is the case, then you will need to download the files requested in this guide on another computer and then transfer them to the infected computer. You can transfer the files via a CD/DVD, external drive, or USB flash drive.

Do not reboot your computer after running rkill as the malware programs will start again.

Please download and run the following tool to help allow other programs to run. (courtesy of BleepingComputer.com)

There are 5 different versions. If one of them won't run then download and try to run the other one.

Vista and Win7 users need to right click and choose Run as Admin

You only need to get one of them to run, not all of them.

1. rkill.exe
  2. rkill.com
  3. rkill.scr
  4. WiNlOgOn.exe
  5. uSeRiNiT.exe

Do not reboot your computer after running rkill as the malware programs will start again.

Now try MBAM

i was hopeful for a moment:) I was able to run kill.bat but nothing else. It didnt show anything in the log, but it blinked the black command screen really fast. mbam still would not run. I also tried scanning a file with ad aware (It was one of my options and it said windows installer service could not be found) not sure what that means?

I have windows 7 and My computer didn't come with discs. We just got it last year on black friday 2010. I tried to use system recovery, but I was locked out. I can't open this on my start menu. I tried to boot into recovery wtih f11 and that option wasnt able to be clicked on. I'm sorry this is so confusing. I'd be willing to do a complete system recovery but I can't even do that. At least I have internet. My kids are happy with that ;) I may be able to order recovery discs from HP. But it just seems like it should be something easy to fix, but I realize it clearly is not. Because everything is there, they just won't open. Sometimes computers can be so frustrating!!

Due to the lack of feedback this topic is closed to prevent others from posting here. If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this thread with your request. This applies only to the originator of this thread.

Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread. Thanks!