Maintenance Period tonight

twexler

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tested it on 2 computers about an hour ago and it would not fully load and kept freezing while trying to post -

Also the posts went to "Saved" ?? and finished there - Do not know where "Saved" is -

3 other forums (BC, G2G, and SAS) were clear and very quick, so it was not internet, just this site -

Added Extra Bug - The posts do not show "Starter" just "Last poster"

Sorry I found it under Post header

Example Started by Wallyb, Today,

If we are thinking about the same thing that was what I mentioned about in post 47.

"We used to be able to keep "notes" in our profile." and got NO answer.

yep that's it. I had a lot of notes. Now its not there any more.

and the Topic/Forum jumpboxes where really nice when searching, or trying to swithch topics really quickly.

If we are thinking about the same thing that was what I mentioned about in post 47.

"We used to be able to keep "notes" in our profile." and got NO answer.

Notes got removed a while back. If you want an answer, search the IPS Community about it.

Tarun:

I don't know the time frame you reference in "while back" but in what I am referring to existed the night before the software upgrade.

I sure hope Tarun doesn't mean that this feature was dropped from the new IPBoard software version.

If so, that's a bit of a deal breaker for me. :(

Say it ain't so!

as a sort of asides ...

i figured out a way around most of the "unreadability" issues that have developed of recent (as well as with a couple of other sites) .

i installed "zoom page" from the add-ons to/in firefox ... cranked it up to +133% and changed the site theme to "IP board" .

this worked ... the letters are not fuzzed out on the edges and i can actually see them comfortably .

there is plenty of "side border" , so the framing looks good ... no slop-over .

however , this does not do much for the low contrast "signatures" (etc .) .

some of the issues may be due to the fact that the monitor i am using is an asus VH242H @ 1920 X 1280 .

i had not had any serious issues with my 20" sony crt .

a part of the problem may be due to "old eyes" ... face it , most of us either have them or are going to get them .

i don't like the idea but when i think of a lot of other people that are 55 (and younger too) that have eyes much worse than mine ...

i don't feel so bad and am actually pretty grateful .

so far . i am pleased with my "work around" .

heh ... i can read this page comfortably from 6' back !

a couple of pages back it was mentioned that the spell checker in FF 9.xx does not work ... it does not work in FF10b either .

a partial temporary solution until the situation is resolved is to use "spell checker 1.3.2" from the FF add-ons .

not a super elegant fix ... but it works .

a couple of pages back it was mentioned that the spell checker in FF 9.xx does not work ... it does not work in FF10b either .

a partial temporary solution until the situation is resolved is to use "spell checker 1.3.2" from the FF add-ons .

not a super elegant fix ... but it works .

Larry,

The 1.3.2 spellchecker you're using checks the whole webpage and highlights every mistake; yours and everyone elses. Use the one below and it only checks the actual editor.

I'm using FF 10.0b4 and added:

HEY64.gif

and the editor works just like it used too spell-checking-wise.. Click on the image; it is hot-linked to the FF add-on page for this extension.

Cheers,

Steve

Thank you very much, Steve!

post-2252-0-85388100-1326608383.gif

I'll give it a try (when English is not your mother tongue it's important you have an extra check to avoid spelling errors). Spell check works OK with Google Chrome though, so I'm using this at the moment. (I'm getting a bit fed up with Firefox 9.0.1 as I get a lot of errors lately).

If I recall correctly, it was something that was sparsely used.

Alas, some of us used it all the time.

I used it daily to refer members to HJT, for clean upgrade instructions, for "IP block" instructions, for referral to the registration video, for referral to the scheduler tutorial, etc, etc.

If that feature is permanently & inexplicably removed, then that is a MAJOR bummer.

Quite a lot of time was spent to craft some of those canned snippets, and they saved us quite a lot of time in our replies.

It sure would have been nice to have received some advance notice about the forum upgrade, so that we could have copied our BBcode snippets into a txt document or SOMETHING before we lost it all.

Oh, well.

C'est la vie.

hey ! i just noticed that the spell checker in FF is now working !

maaaannn ... i think marie laveau is running around here ... not that i am superstitious or anything like that .

/me hangs mojo bag around neck

thanks for the link steve ... it is also available in the addons search in FF .

it did not show up in the search list using "spell checker" .

using "english spellchecker" does the trick .

as of 0530 CST there was a no-connect issue in downloading it .

@ mona7865 :

you certainly do well for english being your second or third language . there are some "trick words" and syntax .

i know a lot of individuals here in the states that cannot spell four and five letter words correctly .

there seems to have been a general decline over the years in spelling , comprehension , vocabulary and compositional abilities .

the term "dumbing down" seems to fit the situation .

i am sure that steve (and others here) have noticed this .

Thank you very much, Steve!

I'll give it a try (when English is not your mother tongue it's important you have an extra check to avoid spelling errors). Spell check works OK with Google Chrome though, so I'm using this at the moment. (I'm getting a bit fed up with Firefox 9.0.1 as I get a lot of errors lately).

You've always done great Mona (and you're most welcome!). I guarantee, especially as a 2nd language, you speak and write English 99.999999999% better than any American speaks/writes Dutch (or English for that matter :D ) . And I'm not sure but don't you speak/write a third language, as well??

I think it's great that a majority of European-continent, non-English language'd countries have a majority of citizens that are multilingual, as well as those that have chosen to learn English as a non-native language since we native-born, "ugly Americans" can barely speak/write our own much less a second. (A generalization people; no lynch parties please.. :P )

I *can* speak a few words in several other languages; unfortunately, they're mostly the words that a gentleman wouldn't use in presence of a lady. :D:lol:

Warmest regards (haven't heard from you in awhile :blush: )

Steve

Readability hint for those still having difficulties reading posts on the Board:

Most Browsers, in TOOLS | OPTIONS | CONTENT (on FF), have the ability to use YOUR choice of fonts and font sizes (disregarding the web-page fonts) and most OSes have a section (mostly for visually impaired people) to increase contrast, etc, in System Tools.

Just an FYI,

Steve

You've always done great Mona (and you're most welcome!). I guarantee, especially as a 2nd language, you speak and write English 99.999999999% better than any American speaks/writes Dutch (or English for that matter :D ) . And I'm not sure but don't you speak/write a third language, as well??

I think it's great that a majority of European-continent, non-English language'd countries have a majority of citizens that are multilingual, as well as those that have chosen to learn English as a non-native language since we native-born, "ugly Americans" can barely speak/write our own much less a second. (A generalization people; no lynch parties please.. :P )

Graças steve, que foi bem indicado.

FF has been acting up for me, this 9.1 version is crappy! I switched to Chrome last night, then spent a bunch of time logging into all my sites again :angry:

However, so far, i do not have any copy/paste issues here now and the board just looks better.I really hate the GUI in Adblock and NS in Chrome, Humphhhh.......