Netbook Vs Laptop

chimpy

I am looking to buy either a netbook or a laptop mainly as a portable way to stream movies from Netflix, but I am not sure a netbook would have the power?

What would you say would be in the minimum specs for that?

I just want browsing, shopping, youtube, facebook but mainly for Netflix.

Oh and i'm looking at the cheapest end of the market, chances are the kids will use it most of the time so I dont really want to invest in something they might destroy :D

Thanks.

The size of a netbook is a bit of an issue. They are much easier to carry around, you don't need a lot of space to use one, and the battery usually lasts a long time. Unfortunately, with those tiny screens, it is difficult to read anything on them. They also tend to be rather underpowered, and once you get anti-virus and anti-malware software installed and running, sometimes you have trouble with videos on YouTube and other online video sites not playing smoothly anymore. You can also forget about DVD's, as you would need an external DVD drive to even play them.

A small laptop would be recommended over a netbook.

Guest Seagull

Out of the two I would recommend a laptop, just like everyone suggested, its bigger and has a CD / DVD Drive. I personally would choose a laptop over a netbook, just my opinion. :)

Happy shopping and I hope you find what you are looking for.

Thanks for the links, I'll take a look.

My budget is about £300 to £350, can't really go more than that.

Are there any retailers that sell in both the USA and the UK? It's hard to look stuff up for you when all of the online retailers that I frequent don't sell in the UK. ;)

Edit: I guess I should have tried amazon.co.uk before I asked that. :lol:

I have decided on this http://www.pcworld.c...884693-pdt.html its in a sale and I'm cheap :P

What do you think of the specs?

Will it stream netflix ok?

What about if I put steam on there? Its got AMD Radeon HD 6380G Discrete-Class, up to 1.98 GB total memory... what ever that is.

I wasn't going to put steam on but with 4gb of RAM and 500gb of HD its better than my Dell I'm running now! Though the ghz for the processor is only 1.8 not that I truly understand things like that to be honest.

That processor is clocked at 1.8GHz with a turbo of 2.4GHz, which isn't too bad for a low-end AMD laptop, and with the Radeon graphics it will probably use less power than an Intel based laptop with NVIDIA video, however it will use more power than one with Intel video. The screen resolution is a little odd, and but not too bad for the price.

For that price, the only real down side is the software that HP puts on it, but that shouldn't be too hard to deal with. ;)

Guest Seagull

Unfortunately, most computers now a days come with alot of software already installed and you don't get the optinion to buy it without the extra software.

I bought myself a copy of windows 7 so I can just reformat the PC so all I have is windows installed and the programs I want it. I never use any of that extra software they give you from the factory, its mostly bloatware in my opinion.

I take it the software comes already installed and not optional? Damn.

Yeah, pretty much all PC manufacturers are pretty bad about that. You can remove anything you don't want, and you can remove programs from the startup items that you don't need running every time you turn your computer on. Aside from the pre-installed software I have to admit that HP laptops aren't bad (bearing in mind that nothing is perfect, of course).

Thanks, I get it tomorrow, I will probably remove any program that looks like I wont use it, I pressume it will be pretty much ready out of the box, would you reccomend making a seperate account away from the master one? And I heard that if you contact MS and give the key for the OS they send you a disc free of charge just as back up? That could be a urban myth but it would be nice to have just in case :P

Oh and having only worked with 34bits I'm guessing MBAM and all AVs now cater for 64bits?

Pretty much any AV I can think of will work on 64-bit, and so will MBAM.

I don't know if you can get a disk from Microsoft. I've never heard of anyone doing it, but that doesn't mean it isn't possible. I know most software companies will refuse to do it, but I don't know about Microsoft.

As far as a separate account, most new PC's allow you to create your own account the first time you start the computer.

Thanks everyone, I got it today and am installing MBAM, AVG and the like, more than annoyingly AVG found coolwebsearch on its first scan... I only was on IE to get programs from legit sites :(

And now it wont connect to the web...

First day and I am off to the HJT forum just to be safe.

P.S Does anyone have the link for Coolwebshredder? If that is still around?

Thanks.

Edit, very annoyed, its become sluggish in the extreme, even trying to load the help centre is just looping, this cant be coolweb surely?

Either way i am taking it back to the shop tomorrow and hope that either they fix it, or preferably they honour the 21 day exchange policy.

Very annoyed :angry2:

• 1 month later...