Recycle Bin

millie

• Root Admin

Difficult to say without some further investigation, like why the C: drive doesn't show.

What drive is Windows installed on and what operating system and service pack level?

If you think you have some type of Malware then you may want to review this.

Hello and Welcome to Malwarebytes.org

If you're having Malware related issues with your computer that you're unable to resolve.

1. Please read and follow the instructions provided here: I'm infected - What do I do now?
  2. If needed please post your logs in a NEW topic here: Malware Removal - HijackThis Logs
  3. When posting logs please do not use any Quote, Code, or other tags. Please copy/paste directly into your post and do not attach files unless requested.
  • Please do not post any logs in the General forum. We do not work on any logs posted in the General forum.
  • Please do not install any software or use any removal/scanning tool except for those you're requested to run by the Helper that will assist you.
  • Using these other tools often makes the cleanup task more difficult and time consuming.
  • If you have already submitted for assistance at one of the other support sites on the Internet then you should not post a new log here, you should stay working with the Helper from that site until the issue is resolved.
  • Do not assume you're clean because you don't see something in the logs. Please wait until the person assisting you provides feedback.
  • There are often many others that require asistance as well, so please be patient. If no one has responded within 48 hours then please go ahead and post a request for review
  • NOTE: If for some reason you're unable to run some or any of the tools in the first link, then skip that step and move on to the next one. If you can't even run HijackThis, then just proceed and post a NEW topic as shown in the second link describing your issues and someone will assist you as soon as they can.

Greetings millie.

For XP:

• Right click the Recycle Bin icon on your desktop
  • Select Properties
  • Under the Global tab you can select Use one setting for all drives and set it to something like 10%

Or you can select the Local Disk (C:) tab and make sure that the option Do not move files to the Recycle Bin. Remove files immediately when deleted is NOT selected and set the size to around 10%.

For Vista:

• Right click the Recycle Bin icon on your desktop
  • Select Properties
  • Under Recycle Bin Location select (C:)
  • Under Settings for selected location make sure that Custom size is selected. The actual amount of space used is determined by the total drive size.

Please let me know how it goes, thanks.

This issue might be related to folder permissions.

Please try the following:

• Double click My Computer
  • Click on Tools at the top of the window and select Folder Options... (if the Tools button isn't visible, then press the Alt key on your keyboard).
  • Click the View tab.
  • Under Hidden files and folders select Show hidden files and folders and uncheck the box next to Hide protected operating system files (Recommended).
  • Next, scroll down until you see an option that says Use simple file sharing (Recommended) and Uncheck it
  • Now, open C: look for a semi-transparent folder or icon called Recycler
  • Right click on it and select Properties
  • Select the Security tab and make sure that Administrators is there and has Full Control checked under Permissions for Administrators

If not, then please let me know.

OK, no problem. It should be under the Folder Options but you may have to scroll down in the list of options to see it. If you still have issues let me know.

edit: Which version of XP are you running? Pro, Home, Media Center, Tablet PC edition?

Sorry I meant to say there is no Use simple file sharing (Recommended) in the folder options

I am using Windows XP Home

Thanks for trying to help

Sorry I meant to say there is no Use simple file sharing (Recommended) in the folder options

I am using Windows XP Home

Thanks for trying to help

Ah yes, I guess I should've asked what version you were running to begin with. Sorry about that. To do the fix you'll need to be running in Safe Mode:

Please print or save this information to a text file as you won't have internet access from Safe Mode

• First, reboot your PC and tap the F8 key on your keyboard repeatedly before the Windows logo screen

• You will then be presented with a black screen with some startup options, choose Safe Mode (it should be first on the list).

• You'll now see a loading screen listing files, it may take a while so be patient.

• Once you see the user login screen, select the Administrator account.

• You'll then be presented with a message asking if you're sure you want to use Safe Mode, click Yes

• Now, please navigate to C: and make sure that hidden files and folders are visible.

• Find the folder or icon called RECYCLER and right click on it and select Properties

• Now select the Security tab and select Administrators. Put a check next to Full Control

• Do the same for Creator/Owner as well as System

• Now do the same for the username that you normally use to login to Windows.

Note: if you don't see the folder RECYCLER and Hidden and System files are shown, create a text file with notepad and save it to your desktop, then delete it and the RECYCLER folder should show up.

If you have any questions ask, if not, then give this a try and let me know if it works.

Edited by AdvancedSetup
added missing LIST command