Norton Antivirus 2012 issue

I've just replaced McAfee with NAV on my PC, alongside MWB v1.60 full version. Everything seems to work OK except that every few seconds in the Norton history log the AV reports "Unauthorised Access Blocked" to its own ccsvchst.exe by mbamservice.exe. I've tried excluding the conflicting files in both NAV and MWB but the messages continue to accumulate. MWB doesn't report anything suspicious. However, both applications seem to be ignoring my exclusions. Any ideas?

This is normal. MBAM is checking running processes and files, but Norton uses a form of self-protection that prevents any program (even an ignored/trusted program) from accessing any of its processes, files or folders, so these access attempts will be logged by Norton when they occur. It shouldn't cause any problems between the two, as they do appear to work perfectly well together.

The only way to eliminate the alerts would be to disable Norton's self-protection, though I don't recommend doing so since that technology also helps to prevent an infection that might get into your system from being able to access the files, folders and processes belonging to your antivirus, for example, if the infection wanted to delete or shutdown your antivirus.

Thanks for your prompt reply. What you say makes sense to me. However, I was a bit concerned that Norton considered this particular 'access' severe enough to block it rather than just log it. Will the performance of my PC be affected by this constant exchange between the 2 applications?

Norton considers any access severe enough to block it (all MBAM is actually doing is attempting to read the processes/files, not modify them in any way). It shouldn't have any effect on performance, one of our own research staff is currently using MBAM 1.60 alongside Norton 2012 and so far she's reported nothing but smooth sailing, no slowdowns, conflicts or performance issues.

No problem, if you need anything else please let us know.

I respect that the system still works okay, but I have the same problem with Norton and Malwarebytes. The issue did not exist with MalwareBytes 1.50. This just began with 1.60, causing 4-6 hits to Norton every minute. There is an Ignore list, but that doesn't stop it. I posted this on the Norton forum and the feedback there is that it's not a good idea to run MalwareBytes in protection mode with Norton and to just run on-demand scans - but that indicates that the free MalwareBytes is all that's needed. The Norton forum also indicates a potential performance issue, even though the computer seems to be running okay. My hope is that the MalwareBytes developers investigate why this is happening in 1.60 and didn't in any prior version. I do understand that Malwarebytes probing Norton thousands of times a day isn't damaging anything, but it seems there should be a feature in Malwarebytes to know what programs to leave alone... or let the user define that in the Ignore list. Thanks for listening.

david

This may be fixed with an upcoming release for Malwarebytes Anti-Malware that we have planned in the near future, but no guarantees. In 1.60 there is an issue where the Ignore List is not honored in certain scenarios, and that may be the cause of the issue but I'm still not certain of that.

When you were running 1.5x versions of MBAM, did you also have the latest 2012 version of Norton installed? I ask because this particular self-protection feature did not exist in previous versions of Norton.

This may be fixed with an upcoming release for Malwarebytes Anti-Malware that we have planned in the near future, but no guarantees. In 1.60 there is an issue where the Ignore List is not honored in certain scenarios, and that may be the cause of the issue but I'm still not certain of that.

When you were running 1.5x versions of MBAM, did you also have the latest 2012 version of Norton installed? I ask because this particular self-protection feature did not exist in previous versions of Norton.

Yes, I had current version. And I reinstalled 1.5 after seeing all the hits against Norton and the problem disappeared as soon as I reinstalled 1.5. Your post is the most encouraging news I've read - that there may be an issue with the Ignore list to be fixed in an upcoming release. With 1.5 I didn't need to use ignore list. I also has tried turning off execution file blocking in the Protection module, but that didn't affect the issue at all. Personally, I like running MBAM with Norton because MBAM does an excellent job of protecting my PC from rogue websites and has on several occasions detected a virus that Norton didn't see. Thanks for your help. And I would be glad to participate in a future beta release test, although I don't know how candidates are selected. Regards,

david