Windows Update

Harley

Greetings Harly and welcome to Malwarebytes'

Please give this a shot to see if it helps:

Copy the following code into notepad and save as type all files and name it fix.bat then save it to your desktop:

net stop wuauserv 
regsvr32 wups2.dll
net start wuauserv
exit

Once you've done that, right click on the file and select Run as administrator

Try updating again and let me know how it goes.

• Root Admin

I've not tested it on Vista myself, so your mileage may vary.

Please download this file Fix Windows Update

Double-click to open and then double-click the batch file in it to reset core Microsoft DLL files to restore the Windows Update functionality.

Restart the computer and see if Windows Update works now..

No problem. It's possible that some component of Windows Update is corrupted. Please try installing the appropriate version of the Windows Update Agent for your system:

32 bit: http://download.windowsupdate.com/WindowsU...Agent30-x86.exe

64 bit: http://download.windowsupdate.com/WindowsU...Agent30-x64.exe

Just download the file appropriate for your system to your desktop and double click it to install. If it installs, reboot the PC and try updating again.

Please let me know how it goes.

Did installing the agent fail, or checking for updates again after installing the agent?

Please go to your start menu and in the little search box type in services and press enter.

Click Continue at the User Account Control prompt and make sure the following services are Started:

• Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) Automatic
  • Windows Event Log Automatic
  • Windows Update Automatic (Delayed Start)

If any of them are not already started or configured to start differently than configured above, then double click the service name and use the drop down menu next to Startup to change how it starts and click Apply. Then click the Start button on the lower left below where it says "Service Status".

If you had to change or start any of those services, then please try checking for updates again to see if it works. If it doesn't, or if those services were already configured correctly, just post back letting me know and we'll try a different fix. Also, please don't forget to answer the question I asked about the windows update agent.

Thanks.

No problem, thanks for being so patient. I still believe we can fix this.

Please create the following batch file in notepad and save it as type: All Files and name it update.bat Save it to the same location as the windowsupdateagent file (if you don't have it anymore, please redownload it):

WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe /wuforce

Let me know if the agent installs this time or if it still throws up the error. If it does install, reboot your PC and try updating again.

Not sure if you're still around or not, but if you are you should try this, I found it while browsing around microsoft.com and it seems dead on with the issue you're experiencing: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

From the download page:

System Update Readiness Tool for Windows Vista (KB947821) [August 2008]

This tool is being offered because an inconsistency was found in the Windows servicing store which may prevent the successful installation of future updates, service packs, and software.

• 2 months later...