New Install, scan stops, freezes

I had MalwareBytes on two computers, had to remove both. Now when I download the free version and try to scan, it gets to C:\Windows\Uninstaller, slows to a crawl, finally freezes and I have to shut down computer with power button to get rid of it. I know I have no malware on my system so it is not that. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Here are some troubleshooting steps.

I would believe that the most current information is that the issue is caused when MBAM comes across a lot of empty directories. It looks like MBAM is stuck on a single file when actually it's going through a ton of empty folders, and not finding anything to scan.

Here are some troubleshooting steps.

I would believe that the most current information is that the issue is caused when MBAM comes across a lot of empty directories. It looks like MBAM is stuck on a single file when actually it's going through a ton of empty folders, and not finding anything to scan.

Hi GT500 and thanks for answering and that may well be the cause, however, the scan can not be aborted and the MalwareBytes screen can not be closed and the only way to stop is the way I described.Also my other Security does not stop at that point.Thanks.

Were you able to get anywhere by following those instructions I linked to?

Hi GT500,

I have the same problem (see Helpdesk Ticket #2575) with Ver 1.33 and the suggested debugging procedure did not work for me.

I got the following message after Step 5 in the procedure:

"The database you are using is not supported by this version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware. Download the latest version of the program."

I then reinstalled Ver 1.33. What I have noticed, based on comments on another forum page discussing Malwarebytes freezing, is that if I uncheck "Always scan memory objects" on the Settings tab the (Quick) Scan completes albeit it takes about 20 minutes, much longer than usual.

For me the freezing issue "coincided" (more or less) with the upgrade of Ad-Aware to the Anniversary Edition and my installation of Spyware Blaster ... but it's probably just a coincidence. Perhaps there is a compatibility issue with other anti-malware/virus products?

FYI I run the following PC protection programs:

Norton 360 2.0 (the only active anti-virus product)

Malwarebytes 1.33

Ad-Aware Anniversary Edition*

Spybot S&D (I am aware of some compatibility issues between Ad-Aware and Spybot)

SpywareBlaster*

CCleaner

* Marks recently installed or upgraded.

System info (via dxdiag log):

Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.080814-1236)

BIOS: BIOS Date: 07/09/08 09:28:35 Ver: 08.00.12

Processor: Intel® Core2 Quad CPU Q9400 @ 2.66GHz (4 CPUs)

Memory: 3072MB RAM

Page File: 603MB used, 4353MB available

Anyway, there are now multiple threads on the "freezing up" issue, in its various guises, and perhaps they need to be consolidated in a folder.

Let's keep this good product GOOD!

I had MalwareBytes on two computers, had to remove both. Now when I download the free version and try to scan, it gets to C:\Windows\Uninstaller, slows to a crawl, finally freezes and I have to shut down computer with power button to get rid of it. I know I have no malware on my system so it is not that. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

I had the same problem today. The following is a reply to the message board member who turned me on the this great product;

I just finished scanning my PC with the Malware Bytes(quick scan only & found 88 trojans and infections) in safe mode, because in the normal mode the system was not responding to the REMOVE feature when I first tried the full scan.

It found 124 infections and trojans, but because of the system non-response, I went to safe mode.

So far it seems to have worked because previously here on Komando.com and everywhere else, I had that torjan/hijack problem.

The hijack and yellow strip across the top of the screen hasn't shown it's ulgy face even when I use the BACK arrow.

I will find and use SuperAntispyware after I do a full Malwarebytes scan and remove.

By the way, it has taken over 5 hours to get to this point so far.

TUVM for the help and I will keep you up to date on the results.

You saved me from having a nervous breakdown!