Malwarebytes Update = Severe XP issues

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

im using xp sp3, avira 2011, nis2012, zonealarm free. malwarebytes pro 1.51.2.1300. nis said something happened during scan: unauthorized access blocked (open token process) actor mbamservice.exe, target nis sec engine ccsvchst.exe

nis didnt like mbam and blocked it. bad nis. i rightclick mbam tray start update 5,85 mb % ok.

try updating again program_error_updating(403,0 HTTPStatusCode

i go to mbam site look in forum and all the problems here in this thread, norton internet security have been blocking mbam a lot in the recent history log. if i make an exception in nis and mbam updates i will be subject to freeze, hang nightmare to possibly.

i long didnt update ZA cuz it f*k things, very recently it updated itself and i was surprised it didnt f*k everthing. Earlier in 2011 avira antivirus wanted to update itself to 2012(with firewall), but i had to go back to 2011.

my current nis2011* is an upgraded/updated older install, but not the first 2012_offer from norton to upgrade cuz the first f*k everything up.

well i guess its mbams turn to run into the hang freeze/firewall issues zzzzz

I loved mbam back when i first installed it and it removed a lot of crap :)

Hello,

It appears that you are running both Avira and NIS together in real time. That may very well create problems as one should never run two real time AV's. It may be best if you deal with that issue first by disabling or uninstalling (use their removal tool if you uninstall) one of your AV's. Then run MBAM clean, following instructions and be sure to reboot when prompted or even if not prompted mbam-clean

Then temporarily disable your AV and download the latest version of MBAM from HERE and update.

Set exclusions in both MBAM and your AV found HERE then re-enable your AV.

If you use Zone alarm there may still be a problem. In this same thread AdvancedSetup has stated...... "If you're using Zone Alarm then you currently will need to disable our protection module until there is an update for Zone Alarm or a work around located. If you're not using Zone Alarm then the following has fixed the issue for almost every user that has posted an issue."

Let us know how it goes.

Thank you :)

I am using Windows XP SP3 with Avast Antivirus & Comodo Firewall.I tried to update to the newest version. This is the 3rd time I am trying to get MBM to work but to no avail I keep getting the error > mbmcore.dll, and the program doesn't load, I even used MBM-Clean and still the same error. Guess I'll look for the previous version & install that. I also did exclusions in Avast & Comodo, and still nothing! I'm pulling out my hair on this issue cuz I really like using MBM, and also, wondering if the ID & Key will work with the previous version!

Thanks!

Well?........After spending ALL day and half the night (last night) STRIVING ans slaving and wiping my brow (full of sweat),

I came to this conclusion: This (so called) "NEW" version of M-Ban, Dose not LIKE XPsp3. I've tried every fix that you good people have given me to do......THRICE, yea, even more.

So, SHORT of purchasing a windows 7 OS (Gates has enough money as it is, I wish to keep what little I have)I have devised this little "workaround".

I deleted AND cleansed my computer of this vile VILE newer version, AND have reinstalled 1.50.1.1100, which is running now, even as I type. I have d'loaded and installed "online armor" (good advice fellas and/or gals), as outpost didn't work for me either, as well as micro soft security essentials.

So, unless, or until you supply a pop up along with that other pop up just begging me to install the "new" version, that you have indeed resolved this/these issues:

NEVER, ever, NEVER EVER, had a problem with this program NOT ONCE in the 4 er 5 years I've owned it!...NEVER!..It worked great! Took out stuff other anti-virus or adware programs couldn't even TOUCH!........And now THIS!!!!!

Used to RAVE about it to people....GET THIS......IT'S GREAT!!! Keyword there, is "USED to".

I really feel so sorry for older computer users who probably feel like they've just bought a $600.00 doorstop.

Sorry...I let my feelings of disappointment get the best of me.

I DO appreciate the steer towards that online armor program. It's got "anti-spam", and the price is still right. :)

@coolfinalfan

First be sure Avast is all up-to-date. Start Avast and perform it's update function. Avast released an update a day or 2 ago that is a very good thing to get.

Please advise if MBAM setup completed ok and that you rebooted when prompted during setup.

I would suggest against dropping back to an older version.

For coolfinalfan ONLY

Download DDS and save it to your desktop from http://www.techsupportforum.com/sectools/sUBs/dds here or http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/sUBs/dds.scr or

http://www.forospyware.com/sUBs/dds

Disable any script blocker if your antivirus/antimalware has it.

Then double click dds.scr to run the tool.

DDS will run in a command prompt window and will take 3 to 4 minutes or so.

• When done, DDS will open two (2) logs:
  • DDS.txt
  • Attach.txt
  • Save both reports to your desktop.

Please attach the following logs in your next reply:

DDS.txt

Attach.txt

Well?........After spending ALL day and half the night (last night) STRIVING ans slaving and wiping my brow (full of sweat),

I came to this conclusion: This (so called) "NEW" version of M-Ban, Dose not LIKE XPsp3. I've tried every fix that you good people have given me to do......THRICE, yea, even more.

Bearman, I'm currently evaluating Outpost Security Pro (30-day trial) with MBAM 1.60 on WinXP SP3 (my VirtualBox setup).

No problems so far. Give it a try.

@bearman1

I'm quite sure every reader of your posting realizes your pain and disappointment. I certainly do.

The issue is not the o.s. It is more to do with the mix of security/av/firewall configurations.

I am offering a review of your situation to propose a possible alternative fix rather than having you drop back to an old version.

For bearman1 and only bearman1:

Download DDS and save it to your desktop from http://www.techsupportforum.com/sectools/sUBs/dds here or http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/sUBs/dds.scr or

• DDS.txt
  • Attach.txt

DDS.txt

Attach.txt

and I'll review it and follow up with a possible fix.

@coolfinalfan

First be sure Avast is all up-to-date. Start Avast and perform it's update function. Avast released an update a day or 2 ago that is a very good thing to get.

Please advise if MBAM setup completed ok and that you rebooted when prompted during setup.

I would suggest against dropping back to an older version.

For coolfinalfan ONLY

• DDS.txt
  • Attach.txt

DDS.txt

Attach.txt

I have Avast currently up to date with the program update you were speaking of, virus defs are up to date as well. Again, I ran the MBAM-Clean tool and re-booted as prompted, ran a virus scan with Avast, machine is clean no infections.Ran CCleaner also, cleaned as well. Then did a clean install of the MBAM most updated version (1.60), while doing this I shut down Comodo Firewall & Avast! Followed all prompts, & then re-booted! Started MBAM and bam it works. Registered with my ID & Key, that worked too, and ran a def update and that worked. Looks like it's working like it should BUT am going to monitor MBAM to make sure.

Sure appreciated all the help from you > Maurice Naggar !!

Happy New Year to you as well!

Thanks!

I have Avast currently up to date with the program update you were speaking of, virus defs are up to date as well. Again, I ran the MBAM-Clean tool and re-booted as prompted, ran a virus scan with Avast, machine is clean no infections.Ran CCleaner also, cleaned as well. Then did a clean install of the MBAM most updated version (1.60), while doing this I shut down Comodo Firewall & Avast! Followed all prompts, & then re-booted! Started MBAM and bam it works. Registered with my ID & Key, that worked too, and ran a def update and that worked. Looks like it's working like it should BUT am going to monitor MBAM to make sure.

Sure appreciated all the help from you > Maurice Naggar !!

Happy New Year to you as well!

Thanks!

High-5 CoolFinalFan wave.gifbanana.gif

Just elated that yours is resolved. Frankly, this one was easy, since we know there's the Avast update AND that you turned OFF your Comodo firewall at that critical step !!

What I'd like to know is: How did you do all of that .....so fast ?

a very Happy New Year to you slap.gif

Well, I did it fast because last nite, I ran a full complete scan in Avast, clean machine. Tonite I did a quick scan! Clean machine! I will return to the forums in a few gonna re-boot the macine & see if MBAM still works! (knocks on wood)Then I will ask another question! Be back shortly!!

To all having these issues with ZoneAlarm, we are actively working on getting this resolved and have several members of our QA team as well as development working on this issue, and I myself am working on it as well. We believe we may have found a resolution which will be provided shortly once it passes testing. We'll let you know if it works and how to apply the proposed fix once testing is complete if it does indeed resolve the problem.

Here's an update. Unfortunately the fix we were working on did not resolve the issue, so we're going to have to continue investigating this further until a resolution is found.

Thank you everyone for your patience with us on this issue.

Update: on the issue I was having, MBAM is working like a charm!!

Just a thought on the issues people are having with ZoneAlarm! Get rid of it and use either Outpost Firewall or Comodo Free Edition Firewall. These 2 are the best free version with exceptional protection vs ZoneAlarm! Plus, compared to the ones I listed ZoneAlarm is a resource hog in many ways.

Just a thought!

And thanks again Maurice!! for your help with my issue!!

Just a thought on the issues people are having with ZoneAlarm! Get rid of it and use either Outpost Firewall or Comodo Free Edition Firewall. These 2 are the best free version with exceptional protection vs ZoneAlarm! Plus, compared to the ones I listed ZoneAlarm is a resource hog in many ways.

Fully agree. I have ripped out Zone Alarm from 3 home systems. Outpost Pro is working like a treat, so I'm buying some Outpost Pro licenses.

I've experienced the same problem with XP SP3 (using Avast and ZoneAlarm 9.2.106) on my old laptop and have at least temporarily removed MBAM. I'm now reluctant to update my Win7 desktop until I understand what's going on, even though I haven't seen posts of problems with Win7. In any case, I have several non techie friends running XP with MBAM along with ZA and will be calling them later today before they call me!

For good or bad, XP is still widely used and ZA is still a very popular program. Attempting to minimize the problem reminds me when I used to call my old ISP to report an outage and they'd invariably reply, "We don't have any reports of an outage!" Good luck finding an acceptable solution.

I've experienced the same problem with XP SP3 (using Avast and ZoneAlarm 9.2.106) on my old laptop and have at least temporarily removed MBAM. I'm now reluctant to update my Win7 desktop until I understand what's going on, even though I haven't seen posts of problems with Win7. In any case, I have several non techie friends running XP with MBAM along with ZA and will be calling them later today before they call me!

For good or bad, XP is still widely used and ZA is still a very popular program. Attempting to minimize the problem reminds me when I used to call my old ISP to report an outage and they'd invariably reply, "We don't have any reports of an outage!" Good luck finding an acceptable solution.

I can assure you there are problems with windows 7 also, 3 days before I got it working and I don't even run Zone Alarm even uninstalled and reinstalled avast antivirus free My post

Interesting !

Is it really capable to replace efficiently ZoneAlarm Pro? :mellow:

I ripped out ZA security Suite last week and replaced with Kaspersky PURE. Best move I ever made...it corrected many problems I had...video not playing...keystrokes not accepted...corrupted downloads causing MBAM Program Database Errors

I ripped out ZA security Suite last week and replaced with Kaspersky PURE. Best move I ever made...it corrected many problems I had...video not playing...keystrokes not accepted...corrupted downloads causing MBAM Program Database Errors

I use Avira Antivir so I need only a software firewall capable to control the client or server accesses to LAN and WAN...

ZoneAlarm Pro is good to set these controls to each program...

Alright, I tried putting Mbam in security essentials, and vicey versey in Mbam and enabling protection module....Freeze!

Then, I rebooted into safemode and deleted Mbam. Rebooted into normal and ran that "clean" proggie.

Then, I tried d'loading a fresh copy of Mbam to which I got most of it, and it just stopped...OK?, So, I deleted that and tried again and got even less...... :)

Am assuming you pulled the current D'load to address these issues?

But, I dunno, I be just a dumb truckdriver in illinois..... :rolleyes:

Anyways....here are the files:

attach.rar

This is what I was running the other day when I went looking around to see if anyone else was having similar issues.

I am having similar problem with new update.

XP SP3

ZoneAlarm Extreme Security v 10.1.065.000

System Mechanic Pro (latest version)

Please note that I am using System Mechanic's "SYSTEM GUARD" as well, and using ZoneAlarm's Antivirus.

(I have noticed in the past, that the "system guard" sometimes seemed to have caused lockups to system when I go away from computer for a while and come back. System Guard seems to look for the user being idle and does system checks in background until you move mouse or hit a key. Sometimes system would get stuck "stopping" its background processing. That being said, this problem has not happened since the latest System Mechanic updates.)

Update installed fine and seemed to be working. When I went away from computer and came back a while later, the system was not responding properly. Some applications were "working" but desktop and start menu was not working, and CPU usage was at 0 to 1%. Internet activity would not work from email or browser. I had to reboot. When rebooting, the sysem got stuck while starting the "autostart services". I tried rebooting several times but same problem.

I then went into SAFE MODE as administrator. It was unusually slow bringing up the SAFE MODE desktop.

In System Mechanic, there is a way to setup delays in the auto start programs and services. I removed all the "delays" so that system would start up without SM intervention. (I think SM replaces the startup items with a "RUN AS SERVICE" application that takes control of the service startups when you have "delays".)

Anyway, this allowed my computer to boot up normally.

However, there is still a problem with the system locking up (as described above) when I go away from the computer for a while and come back. I have no sleep or hibernation settings. I disabled the screen saver and it still freezes up computer. Now I know that the system was not "idle" when it locked up because I was running a defrag when it froze up.

Right now I have protection module "enabled", but do not have the "start file execution blocking when protection module starts" turned on (but all other options are checked).

Will see if this helps and advise.

I really hope you can address and fix this issue. Let me know if you want any additional information, or if you have a beta fix for me to try.

Thanks,

Dave

Same problem as everyone!

XP SP3, have AVG and zonealarm.

My Malawarebytes is a paid version.

Installing 1.6 does not allow Windows to load.

I cannot imagine how many people out there have lost use of their computers these last few days as a result of this upgrade! Not everyone's "system restore" works! And no one relishes those anxious moments when they wait to see if "system restore" will restore Windows! This upgrade is a total disaster! Please advise when the issue is resolved, so that I can re-install your program.

Thanks

Ian

Hi Maurice,

I think the Z-Alarm/Avast connection to the problems many XP SP3 machines are having is a red herring; I have 3 XP machines and 3 Win 7 machines, none of the XP machines have either Zone Alarm or Avast (all run NIS) but all 3 machines had problems with the 1.60.0.1800 update and none of the Win 7 machines did. I have gone over alot of the posts and IMHO there seems to be some kind of XP SP3 specific bug that affects many users; since the mbam-clean.exe uninstall and reinstall sequence seems to work for most (including me) my guess is is there is a problem with the uninstall routine written into the updater.

I have been using Mabam as an additonal scanner for years and am both appreciative and respectful of your efforts in supporting freeware. I hope that you will not go Apple's way of stonewalling an obvious problem.

eddyg