Malwarebytes Update = Severe XP issues

Hello, another disgruntled user here.

Updated today because Malwarebytes said to do so, because database was not updated by a week. Did the update and MBAM updated to v1.6. After that got an error saying MB stopped running unexpectedly. Tried restart, didn't help, same error. Got on this forum, tried clean MBAM tool, only to discover after full removal that I lost my Pro membership registration data which I bought last year or so, so now I'm stuck with the free version which doesn't support realtime protection. Wooptiedoo.

I've read posts here that advise to turn off your antivirus while installing and that it is somehow the fault of ZoneAlarm, Comodo, AVG and Avast, but I don't buy that. I bet it causes problems with every Antivirus, because it ain't the antivirus that's the problem: it's Malwarebytes that f***ed up. I hope you solve this problem real soon and stop blaming other programs for this problem.

Anti-Virus: Avira Antivir Personal Free

Antispyware: Spywareblaster, Spybot S&D

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As just a stopgap measure, you can turn off automtic program updates until all this is sorted out. And not have to uninstall all.

Start the application. Click on the Settings Tab. The the Up

I have turned off my automatic update but not it time. My pc is now waiting for a reboot to install the latest flawed version. Can I prevent this from happening? Is there a place where the new files are located ready for the update. Is it in the temp files area and can I delete them and prevent the update. I really want to prevent this update from occuring. Can anyone help me on this? I had hoped that a fix would have been published by now. I am going to have to reboot this machine soon. It has been running for several days now and a reboot is imminent.

thanks Mark

I had posted in another thread after searching the forum for MBAM crashes on start up. Then after reading the forum more, I found this very long thread about this very issue.

As I only use MBAM as a stand-alone app and not in protected mode, I guess I'll just leave MBAM uninstalled until they find a fix to work with ZA. Or maybe I should download the previous version 1.5. I did an un-install thru Windows 'add remove', then ran the 'mbam clean' (rebooted).

My system:

WinXP Media Player (SP-2) (can't install SP-3... long story)

1 Gig ram

ZoneAlarm... but older vers. 7.0.302.000

Avast 6 (latest... updated today)

Hope they find a fix or work around. I've used MBAM since 2008 when it found and deleted a nasty that McAfee couldn't handle (been on avast ever since).

Thanks MBAM team.

Hello, another disgruntled user here.

I've read posts here that advise to turn off your antivirus while installing and that it is somehow the fault of ZoneAlarm, Comodo, AVG and Avast, but I don't buy that. I bet it causes problems with every Antivirus, because it ain't the antivirus that's the problem: it's Malwarebytes that f***ed up. I hope you solve this problem real soon and stop blaming other programs for this problem.

Anti-Virus: Avira Antivir Personal Free

Antispyware: Spywareblaster, Spybot S&D

@Slipvin

I can understand that you are ticked off. so be it. But your statement(s) beg a reply.

a) I have the same exact configeration on my WIN7 64 bit

Upgraded fine, running fine. I am using the native Windows Firewall. But I do not have Spybot S & D on for live real-time monitoring.

b) There had been issue with Avast, but was resolved by Avast update a couple or 3 days ago when Avast published an update.

c) There is definite issue with the free version of ZoneAlarm; not so with the paid editions.

d) cool down a bit. You should look for the email that came after your MBAM purchase. It will have the license info. Otherwise, someone can get you the contact info for Cleverbridge so you can get that info.

@RickF

There is a definite issue with free version(s) of ZA firewall. Just wanted to let you know to see my other post here http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?app=forums&module=forums&section=findpost&pid=512206

and that until a final solution is found, you have some alternatives:

a) use the Windows firewall instead ( I do on both my XP and WIN7 and have no issue)

b) upgrade to latest PRO version of ZA, which I understand works and plays nice

b) IF elect to keep ZA free, retry the MBAM-clean & fresh download and install and this time......during MBAM setup, at the point where you are prompted for Start Trial, decline it. You can still run MBAM on-demand and do scans, and do Update of definitions. But Protection module needs to stay off, until a final solution is at hand.

Edited by Maurice Naggar

I have turned off my automatic update but not it time. My pc is now waiting for a reboot to install the latest flawed version. Can I prevent this from happening? Is there a place where the new files are located ready for the update. Is it in the temp files area and can I delete them and prevent the update. I really want to prevent this update from occuring. Can anyone help me on this? I had hoped that a fix would have been published by now. I am going to have to reboot this machine soon. It has been running for several days now and a reboot is imminent.

thanks Mark

@Markgc and all else who are seeing conflict issues with the setup of release 1800

Always, but always, put some critical details that would help in isolating the conflicts and narrow down the areas of the conflicts.

Need to have you state the Windows version and service pack level and

name & version of Anti-virus

names/versions of any security suites installed (if they are set to monitor live....e.g., real-time)

also please see my reply here ---> http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?app=forums&module=forums&section=findpost&pid=512206

If you haven't de-installed MBAM, you can quite likely restart into Safe mode, or Safe mode with Networking, and turn off the protection module.

See this article How to start Windows in Safe Mode

Restart windows in Normal. Providing that MBAM had finished install, you can use it on-demand.

HTH

Disclaimer: This is not intended as an end-all nor a final resolution. Only suggestions to overcome the present issue.

Edited by Maurice Naggar

Maurice,

Thanks for your reply.

I reinstalled the latest MBAM and all is well. Since I use MBAM as a standalone app and not as an active scanner, it works fine with my free version of ZA (ver: 7.0.302.000). Before doing a "clean install" (after uninstalling previous ver, and running MBAM_clean), I DID turn off my AV (Avast) as it was recommended. I've never had to do this with any other software installation, but since it was recommended, I did so. All is fine again... thank you!

I ran a quick scan, came up clean, re-enabled avast, ran another MBAM scan and all is fine.

Thanks for your response and forum support. I appreciate it. As I used to be a moderator for McAfee help forums many years ago (when McAfee had a good product (version 7)), I know how help forums can make or break the acceptance of AV software.

Thanks again. :)

I am not a computer expert and if I did not have another computer to use to get on the internet I would have no idea what had gone wrong and killed my newer computer. At least I do know how to use a search engine.

I wonder how many people have ONE computer and are totally dead in the water without any idea except that their computer is broken? Obviously these people are not going to be posting on the forum because they can't use their computers. They may not even realize that a Malwarebytes update has something to do with whatever is wrong. So any estimates of the number of users affected that is taken from this forum totally misses the point.

The email I received in reply to my post on the forum concerning this problem gave me a set of instructions that I didn't really understand. Maybe they should put out Malwarebytes fix instructions for dummies, but only if you don't have Zone Alarm or anything else that isn't working with this software. I also do not want to uninstall the other security that is still working and install other software I have never used so that I can get Malwarebytes back. Right now I am very sensitive to the fact that making changes on a computer (or having them made for you) can cause problems. So Malwarebytes is turned off and will remain turned off until I receive notice that there is a fix.

That email also suggested I join the beta testers. A lot of help that would be since I don't even know how to do the dumps people are sending in. Just because I can find the forum doesn't mean I am THAT competent when it comes to computers. It may come as a surprise, but I know many people who aren't. 'Computer' is not a language that all people speak. A lot of what is being posted here doesn't translate well for me.

I have two geeks of my own in the family and I find that they often overestimate my geekish ability. In the real world, I think many people who use computers are as able to fix computer problems as drivers are to fix something that goes wrong with their car that keeps it from running. A second computer could be seen as the equivalent of a tow truck but many people only have one computer. It's the people who are most likely to figure out what's wrong and what to do who are also the most likely to have multiple computers. I wonder how many computer repair shops and services are going to see a spike in business tomorrow?

All of this did not help create a happy beginning to the new year. Which brings up another point. Please don't schedule an update right before a holiday, for your user's sake as well as your own. I worked much too long on this problem to have a great weekend. I realize that some people (like my geeks) are entranced with figuring out just what went wrong with their computer and would have everything fixed before I even knew what was wrong.

I would rather have been doing something else.

puffin

Please don't schedule an update right before a holiday,

puffin

This is such a valid point!

As was everything raised by Puffin. When this happened to me, I was on my way out the front door, and changed all my plans. No ones day can go ahead knowing the computer is not working - AT ALL ! This was a highly negligent update! Are you going to be compensating those with paid versions? After all , the program no longer works. And what about the lost hours, or the payments to computer labs? This update was a major fiasco! I thought the days of updating programs , that closed down your computer were over!

This is such a valid point!

As was everything raised by Puffin. When this happened to me, I was on my way out the front door, and changed all my plans. No ones day can go ahead knowing the computer is not working - AT ALL ! This was a highly negligent update! Are you going to be compensating those with paid versions? After all , the program no longer works. And what about the lost hours, or the payments to computer labs? This update was a major fiasco! I thought the days of updating programs , that closed down your computer were over!

My MBytes update also crashed in XP SP3 - pain in the butt - it would probably have been a good idea to slow down the update schedule before the holidays - but I wouldn't complain without also at the same time thanking these guys for being spot on 99.9% of the time, obviously working hard and providing nearly continuous free database updates. Nobody's perfect - but these guys TRY, and come a lot closer than most!

My MBytes update also crashed in XP SP3 - pain in the butt [...] Nobody's perfect - but these guys TRY, and come a lot closer than most!

Sorry but it's much worse than that! If it were just MB's update that crashed then, yes, "pain in the butt" would fit the bill.

However many of us were left completely unable to login to Windows because of this abortive upgrade. I'm guessing that there are many non-techies out there still unable to log in and totally at a loss to understand what has happened and to how to proceed. That is better described as "unmitigated disaster".

I'm posting this, not as a snide comment, but because I think MB need to consider how to move forward, and coming up with a work-around pending a new version is only part of it.

Checking out a zip file "fix" I got from Advanced Setup. running ZA(free). XPcp3 and MS security essentials.

Running 1.60.0.1800. Updated and everything. No hanging no freezing (as yet).....All seems well.

Only thing I've noticed so far is ZA STILL will not update (manually).

ZoneAlarm Free Firewall version: 10.1.079.000

vsmon version: 10.1.079.000

Driver version: 10.1.079.000

ZoneAlarm Browser Security: 1.5.350.0

ZoneAlarm ForceField Spyware Scanner: 1.5.350.0

ZoneAlarm ForceField Anti-Phishing Database: 1.2.104.0

ZoneAlarm ForceField Spyware Sites Database: 04.155

Security Essentials Version: 2.1.1116.0

Antimalware Client Version: 3.0.8402.0

Engine Version: 1.1.7903.0

Antivirus definition: 1.117.2126.0

Antispyware definition: 1.117.2126.0

Hope this helps.

We believe that we have found a solution to this issue and are having some users test it. We will post an update on this as soon as we have confirmed the fix works.

Thank you.

Hi, I one of those that received the email re request to volunteer to be a beta tester for the fix. I believe I misinterpreted how to get back to MBAM support re my success with this fix and instead posted a NEW topic in this forum (Topic name 01/02/12....) earlier today [NOT a great job on my part of what I choose for a new topic title, either]. I have no idea how to correct my mistake, i. e., that my results should be brought to the attention of MBAM support. So I decided to post this reply here on the off chance that someone in support will come across it, and route this info to whoever on the support team is monitoring the results of this beta test.

Hi... anxiously awaiting update for this fix.

As a software developer, I make it a HUGE point never to release any significant (or ANY if at all possible) updates prior to holidays.. especially international ones. It can become a real problem when a software update causes problems in businesses where normal staff is out on holiday and there are problems... not to mention that *I* don't want to be stuck spending my holiday dealing with fixing the problem! I know the "marketing" guys like to get the update out just in time for "whatever", but sometimes you just have to say "NO!"

That all being said, for businesses, it is bad practice to do enterprise-wide updates on ANYTHING without the company's IT team making sure it will work on systems involved. Yeah, it is convenient to have software that auto-updates on each workstation, etc., but it's just not worth the potential problem, as we see in this case.

In fact, every computer system setup really has such diverse OS, applications, drivers, versions of updates, etc., that it is really impossible for any software manufacturer to be "sure" there will not be able problems, especially with a program like MBAM that is designed to "hook" into the operating system. At some point you have to just deploy and trial by fire and hope for the best and be prepared to make fixes. Again, bad practice to do this on holidays, etc.

Anyway, I wanted to make sure I made it a point to thank all the guys at MB for their support and working over the holidays to respond to these threads and work on fixes. MBAM has been a critical program for me and after trying many similar ones, it really does seem to be the best out there. I just wish there was ONE program that did EVERYTHING to keep computer secure - seems odd that you would need two or three separate programs (or more) to effectively keep your computer safe. It is understandable and expected that every so often any application developer runs into problems and bugs - it is how this is handled that separates the best from the rest.

Thanks again MB team!

-Dave

A few days ago, I received a notification that my Malwarebytes was going to update when I rebooted my pc. This morning I finally rebooted into safe Mode and my Malwarebytes did not update. I then booted normally into Windows XP Pro SP3 and I am still at version 1.51.2.1300. Why didn't the update occur I wonder.

Mark

Hello Markgc,

Using Safe mode, your system would not have the internet connectivity.

It would however, if you had it set for Safe mode with Networking.

on the latter, re auto-update: Check your MBAM Settings TAB, and the sub-tab Updater settings.

Is this checked (enabled): Download and install program update if available.

I think that I started in safe mode with networking but I cannot be 100% sure now. I see a download new version blue link under the Malwarebytes Update tab. I will try this later after I get back from the dentist. I want to see if this hp machine locks like my Dell machine did with the early ZoneAlarm software and if the beta patch will fix it as it did on my Dell. I am sure that you would like to know as well. I will report back later.