Malwarebytes Update = Severe XP issues

I've done all that, step by step....twice. My system freezes. "Seriously folks", THERE IS A CONFLICT WITH XP SP3. I have Kaspersky Internet Security 2012, not ZoneAlarm.

My system is not infected: I've scanned it with KIS, MBAM, CCE, HitmanPRO, Emsisoft Emergency kit (the last three ones are portables, so there is no conflicts with them)

Why don't you agree that there is a conflict with windows xp sp3?

It's a confirmed conflict with some security software (we discovered that the same issue that is affecting ZoneAlarm Free compatibility on Windows XP is affecting other security software as well). Our developers are working on a fix for this issue as we speak.

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<br />It's a confirmed conflict with some security software (we discovered that the same issue that is affecting ZoneAlarm Free compatibility on Windows XP is affecting other security software as well).  Our developers are working on a fix for this issue as we speak.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Thanks a lot. Anyway, MBAM 1.51 is working fine here

It's a confirmed conflict with some security software (we discovered that the same issue that is affecting ZoneAlarm Free compatibility on Windows XP is affecting other security software as well). Our developers are working on a fix for this issue as we speak.

Thanks, it took you 11 pages of posts and "55 users" to figure it out but rather late than never. Happy New Year!

chipo has posted that he has used the MBAM-clean procedure to successfully install MBAM 1.6.0 on Windows XP system, with Norton Internet Security 2012 onboard.

Bravo

I see some irony in your comment <_<. Yes, MBAM 1.60 was apparently successfully installed, but over time, the performance has been defective. My system was freezing several times. And YES, I've used mbam-clean and followed the instructions step by step TWICE.

By the way, I have Kaspersky Internet Security.

I have been waiting on the sidelines for the problems to be sorted.

I have returned to the previous version of malwarebytes, 1.51.2.1300.

I can not run the latest version 1.60.0.1800 because:

1.) Conflict and system hang.

2.) Possibly caused by:

ZoneAlarm version 8.0.065.000

Avast free version 6.0.1367

Windows XP SP3

This morning the database update failed:

Database update failed: inflate failed with error code 0

I have this sorted for now, updated rules.ref manually

I have

"Download and install program update if available."

"Notify me when a program update is ready for installation."

Un checked and have been updating through the update tab.

Have the paid version of malwarebytes since July 2011.

Hope this is sorted soon.

Since only 55 people reported problems, now there are at least 56...

thanks

arch1

I have also experienced similar problems to those previously reported in this topic.

My system is Windows XP Professional SP3 running AVG 2012 Free anti-virus and Outpost Firewall 2009. I update and then run a Malwarebytes (free version) scan every Saturday. Today (Saturday 31 December 2011), I ran the updater which installed the latest version (1.60.0.1800)on my PC. Immediately the program crashed generating a Windows error and asking if I wished to report to Microsoft. It seems that neither my firewall nor anti-virus application were a cause of the Malwarebytes problem. I uninstalled Malwarebytes and then reinstalled it but the problem persisted.

I have now uninstalled Malwarebytes and cleaned the registry of all the Malwarebytes references that I could find. I now await a fix for the problem before I reinstall Malwarebytes which, up to now, has been a useful and valuable part of the security on my system. Presumably news of the progress of this issue will be issued in this forum topic so I shall monitor the posts with interest.

Additional information to my previous post:

Since posting, I have checked the Event Viewer which reports the following that may be of interest:

Event Viewer information:

Faulting application mbam.exe, version 1.60.0.59, faulting module mbamcore.dll, version 1.60.0.52, fault address 0x00060ae0

Data (Bytes):

0000: 41 70 70 6c 69 63 61 74 Applicat

0008: 69 6f 6e 20 46 61 69 6c ion Fail

0010: 75 72 65 20 20 6d 62 61 ure mba

0018: 6d 2e 65 78 65 20 31 2e m.exe 1.

0020: 36 30 2e 30 2e 35 39 20 60.0.59

0028: 69 6e 20 6d 62 61 6d 63 in mbamc

0030: 6f 72 65 2e 64 6c 6c 20 ore.dll

0038: 31 2e 36 30 2e 30 2e 35 1.60.0.5

0040: 32 20 61 74 20 6f 66 66 2 at off

0048: 73 65 74 20 30 30 30 36 set 0006

0050: 30 61 65 30 0d 0a 0ae0..

Data (Words);

0000: 6c707041 74616369 206e6f69 6c696146

0010: 20657275 61626d20 78652e6d 2e312065

0020: 302e3036 2039352e 6d206e69 636d6162

0030: 2e65726f 206c6c64 30362e31 352e302e

0040: 74612032 66666f20 20746573 36303030

0050: 30656130 0a0d

Hello arch1,

First, what Exile360 has stated

Then, if I may suggest, I'd like to get some information about your case and some details about your configuration on this XP system.

Note well I am not conversant with latest ZoneAlarm, so. some specifics are appreciated.

Is your ZoneAlarm the free or paid version? and does it include an antivirus component?

which particular version:

ZoneAlarm Extreme Security

ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

ZoneAlarm Pro

ZoneAlarm Antivirus

ZoneAlarm ?

Let me know please.

How much physical RAM on this system?

also, did you make sure ZA is up-to-date? http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en-us/support/check-for-updates.htm

When was the last time you ran Avast Update ?

The more details you can add the better one can help you. Your last post is a good start. (more details than most others)

Let me know if you'd like me to help you resolving your issues ---at least to get the current MBAM setup.

I do not believe that an old version of MBAM will continue to update definitions properly.

Seriously folks, take the time to read through the posts from the staff and try the fixes before posting.

Uninstall MBAM using add/remove program

REBOOT !!!!!!!!

etc, etc, etc, ad infinitum...

Seriously folks, just uninstall MBAM then install MS Security Essentials.

Trouble is, how do you uninstall MBAM when your computer hangs every time you log in (as mine did) and you don't know how to boot into safe mode or use the recovery console? How do you find esdog's instructions if your computer hangs every time you log in and you can't get onto this forum. In fact, how do you even know to suspect MBAM?

The people posting here have an above average level of technical skill (especially AussieDave, although his instructions need modification to work in the northern hemisphere). I wonder how many of MB's clients just see a broken computer and are now contemplating defenestrating the damn thing.

I suspect many more people are affected more seriously than MB seems to think.

I think a valuable lesson can be learned here...folks who are savvy enough to know about and use MBAM usually are excited by new releases...generally thinking newer is better. It usually is. However, being one of these folks for years, I have been burned many times jumping at the first chance to update software, especially imortant security software. I speak from experience in saying it makes better sense to wait a few days and see initial reaction on a forum. If you see glowing reports, update a few days later...if you see what we have here, you wait for at least one patch release.

The people writing MBAM are really great...they did a beta test and the results were fine...but the real world is different. Perhaps they were a bit aggressive releasing this. But the bottom line...in MBAM, uncheck the box that says "download and install program update if available"...now you are in charge of when this update is done...it won't be done when you are not even looking at your PC perhaps. You will be much happier, like I am...and when I do the update after fixes are made, I'll be confident I am getting a better product from the fine MBAM team.

I absolutely agree with Peakeen! It is incredibly rare that updating a program on ones computer screws up the entire computer! Without SYSTEM RESTORE ( which doesn't always work ) , I would have a dud computer thanks to the MBAM update! Not everyone knows how to get into SAFEMODE! The irony is that MBAM is there to protect us ( and does a great job - I have the paid version ) , but in this case, it has caused countless people to have computers that no longer start! It's amazing! It's just not good enough! Solutions cannot be long winded and involve disabling other programs. You have to inform us when a corrected installation file is available. I don't know how you can help those who will be without working computers over the New Year holiday!

Just thought I'd add my findings

Done 3 installs

The first on Windows 7 with Security Essentials , but no 3rd party firewall .Installed without any problems

The second was on XP SP3 with Solo Antivirus & Comodo Firewall where I did an uninstall of a very old version & then installed the latest without issues.

However the third ,on XP SP3 with Solo Antivirus & Comodo Firewall, was where I just clicked the update & had the problems reported in this thread.

I've run the cleanup utility, but don't plan to use the product again until I see that the issue has been fixed,which it appears is being worked on.

@Kristov

Hello,

Let me know if you ran MBAM-clean sequence or not?

If you did not, it is best to get & use MBAM-clean first, reboot, get & save a new copy of MBAM and then run a new setup.

Hi Maurice,

No, I did not run the MBAM-clean sequence. I will do as you suggest and report back.

Thanks.

Hello arch1,

First, what Exile360 has stated

Then, if I may suggest, I'd like to get some information about your case and some details about your configuration on this XP system.

Note well I am not conversant with latest ZoneAlarm, so. some specifics are appreciated.

Is your ZoneAlarm the free or paid version? and does it include an antivirus component?

which particular version:

ZoneAlarm Extreme Security

ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

ZoneAlarm Pro

ZoneAlarm Antivirus

ZoneAlarm ?

Let me know please.

How much physical RAM on this system?

also, did you make sure ZA is up-to-date? http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en-us/support/check-for-updates.htm

When was the last time you ran Avast Update ?

The more details you can add the better one can help you. Your last post is a good start. (more details than most others)

Let me know if you'd like me to help you resolving your issues ---at least to get the current MBAM setup.

I do not believe that an old version of MBAM will continue to update definitions properly.

It's an older version of ZA free, I would use the latest but they are having birthing problems with version 10. The new automatic thing of the latest version seems to be buggy.

Avast is updated every 4 hours automatically.

2GB RAM. Pentium 4 HT 2.4Ghz. Nothing to write home about but works mostly.

I have done the rinse lather and repeat 3 times the latest version 1.60 with the protection module enabled is not going to run on my system at the current time or without setup changes. I was trying the older version just for the protection module.

If I find some time I will do some testing, and see if I can give you some more info.

thanks

arch1

arch1,

TY for the added update.

Have you set the exclusions within ZA and also Avast as per the General FAQ http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=10138

2 GB for that pc is certainly enough for it, and rules out low-ram.

and definitely, that is enough rounds of the rinse, lather, retry.

Given that your ZA is the free edition, have you considered switching to another brand?

Edited by Maurice Naggar
updated

Well?........Everything WAS working alright, for just a small amount of time that I came back and posted. THEN, I tried to run a program......SEVERE HANG TIME!.... Which is good if your shooting hoops, or punting footballs...on computers?.....Not so much.

I tried everything trying to resolve this, but to no avail.

So, I uninstalled and cleaned Mbam.

uninstalled online armor.

Reinstalled version 1.5.1.1100

Reinstalled ZA(free):

ZoneAlarm Free Firewall version: 10.1.079.000

vsmon version: 10.1.079.000

Driver version: 10.1.079.000

ZoneAlarm Browser Security: 1.5.350.0

ZoneAlarm ForceField Spyware Scanner: 1.5.350.0

ZoneAlarm ForceField Anti-Phishing Database: 1.2.104.0

ZoneAlarm ForceField Spyware Sites Database: 04.155

And this is, and shall stay my current setup, until you fine folks get this "puzzle" figured out.

@Kristov

Hello,

Let me know if you ran MBAM-clean sequence or not?

If you did not, it is best to get & use MBAM-clean first, reboot, get & save a new copy of MBAM and then run a new setup.

Hi Maurice,

As I said, in my previous reply to you, I would run the MBAM-clean sequence and then download and install Malwarebytes.

I have now done this and am pleased to report that all went well and Malwarebytes is up and running properly on my system. I have just completed a full system scan (took about 1 hour 35 minutes which is not bad for my system) and this ran smoothly without problems and finding no suspect files.

Thanks for your help, the problem for me is resolved. I hope the others posting here have their issues resolved with equal efficiency.

Regards and Happy New Year.

Back to report some findings:

Beta version 1.60.0.1400 works with ZoneAlarm version 8.0.065.000.

Version 1.60.0.1600 does not work with ZA.

Windows XP SP3 is not the problem Tested on SP2.

Latest version of ZA will not install without SP3.

Also will not work with Private Firewall.

thanks

arch1