Malwarebytes Update = Severe XP issues

I'm one of the folks who's been waiting and watching for effective answer for users with paid MWB, free ZoneAlarm and Avast which I love (although their sandbox just screws up stuff so I turned it off). I also run Advanced SystemCare Pro V5.0.0 and FixCleaner V2.0 and Mailwasher Pro 2012. I also own Superantispyware Pro available but activate when needed, PC Tune-Up once a week, and Windows Defender. I always thought ZoneAlarm was superior to or as good as any other free firewall, but one of the sites I looked at when this site suggested replacing it suggested it was down the list quite a bit from others with CIS Premium at the top. Is that true, or as other sites suggest, is ZA still top tier? I've looked at CIS and possible issues if you're not real good at loading and setting it up and am a little nervous about trying it. I've also looked at some of the other suggested firewall replacements and I believe it's Outpost I'm considering. I downloaded CIS but haven't installed yet.

I'm waiting for a fix for ZAlarm-Malwarebytes and any further advice on the above. As you can surmise, I'm paranoid as hell about losing my system again, having done so more than once over the last ten + years on my and a few other systems I've been the "tech support" for. Have more times than I care to remember been down hard for some issue, trying everything I can figure out to the point where I can't even remember exactly where I've been, what all I've tried and how to get back to where I was before things got worser than worse. That is one frazzled state of mind, let me tell you. But I really want to get Malwarebytes back up running the latest edition rather than sitting here on 1.51.2.1300, after figuring how to get back to it after getting system frozen several times on the new version.

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have just joined this forum to add my say to these same issues. I have two computers running XP that have the latest release crash on loading where previous releases have behaved. One is XP SP3 at work where the antivirus is AVG and the other is also XP SP3 at home with ESET NOD32 internet security suite.

The ball is firmly in Malwayebyte's corner on this one.

DrT

@ DrTeeth:

Please read and carefully follow the steps in this sticky topic.

Since you do not mention that you are running ZoneAlarm on your rigs, the instructions posted there will most likely resolve your issues.

If not, please post back and let us know, and one of the MBAM staff will assist you further.

@ PlutoDog:

Since you ARE running ZA (and Avast!), please wait for an MBAM staffer to return to this topic, or please send a PM to forum admin AdvancedSetup for a fix.

Thanks for your patience,

daledoc1

@ daledoc1

Kerching! Problem solved on one PC, the work one will have to wait. Thanks very much, though it is a shame it was needed.

DrT

Great!

Glad you are up and running.

Yes, I'm sure the MBAM folks would agree with you. :)

However, please know that they are working diligently to resolve the issue definitively and will be releasing an updated version soon.

I didn't experience any issues on either of my Win7 rigs, but I'm sure it must have been frustrating for you.

Please post back if you need any further assistance,

daledoc1

@ daledoc1

Windows XP seems to be the common factor in the scenario. Here Vsita SP2 x64 and Windows 7 64 bit have been unaffected on all my PCs. I have four PCs here (minimum) connected to my network and the all multiboot most flavours of Windows and several Linux distros each...very handy for testing.

Many thanks and Happy New Year.

DrT

@ daledoc1

Windows XP seems to be the common factor in the scenario. Here Vsita SP2 x64 and Windows 7 64 bit have been unaffected on all my PCs. I have four PCs here (minimum) connected to my network and the all multiboot most flavours of Windows and several Linux distros each...very handy for testing.

Many thanks and Happy New Year.

DrT

Yes, you are correct - most of the problems were on XP.

Very few folks experienced issues with Vista or 7.

Best regards,

daledoc1

Posted 07 January 2012 - 12:42 AM

I'll send you a PM with the fix for Zone Alarm free.

Mr Lewis, let me thank you for taking us all for idiots. Seems to work for most, actually...

I have a better solution, readily available to all, including my own customers: It's called SUPERAntiSpyware available at SUPERAntiSpyware You can even get a PRO version free trial.

P.S.: To be quite honest, I should also thank you for the additional revenue you generated for my IT consulting practice. But no, please don't ask for any kickback...

Just curiously asking questions and trying to aid in the "de-bugging" (if you will) this newest version of MBAM and the issues it seems to be causing mainly for XPsp3 users.

How many of you have an ATI graphics card on your system? (I raise my hand.ATI Radeon X-1600 series [AGP])

Been doing some reading, and seems that there HAD been a large problem with the "Ati2dvag.dll" driver and a BSOD on loading (and for QUITE some time, like for YEARS, with no resolution), that presumably was fixed in the latest .NET framework release, or update.

Like I stated, just doing some reading.

Daledoc1 quote "will be releasing an updated version soon."

i have malwarebytes pro, i paid for it, when i did that i had to leave an email where the pro code was sent.

Could malwarebytes email users that gets there newsletters if such one do exist when this updated version is released.

Not that its not fun to read this forum but every time im here im so tired i cant follow the tech instructions.

I am used to malwarebytes updating automatically and very hassel free. guess i am spoiled in that way.

Just curiously asking questions and trying to aid in the "de-bugging" (if you will) this newest version of MBAM and the issues it seems to be causing mainly for XPsp3 users.

How many of you have an ATI graphics card on your system? (I raise my hand.ATI Radeon X-1600 series [AGP])

Been doing some reading, and seems that there HAD been a large problem with the "Ati2dvag.dll" driver and a BSOD on loading (and for QUITE some time, like for YEARS, with no resolution), that presumably was fixed in the latest .NET framework release, or update.

Funnily enough, both the PCs that made the latest (1.60) MBAM crash on loading DID have ATi graphics cards.

DrT

Motherboard based Intel video (DG45ID) running Windows XP 32-Bit Pro SP3.

There is a known issue with Zone Alarm free so if that is the issue then yes it should fix it. Using McAfee Anti-Virus you have to make sure that you setup the file exclusions properly as well.

I'll send you a PM with the fix for Zone Alarm free.

Thanks for the PM, but it does not seem to address my problem - I'm not getting a system hang, I just can't get mbam to run on the desktop with McAfee and Zonealarm free installed.

So what's the deal with the excluded files list? Do I need to add the mbam folder to that list? I'm not sure that sounds like a good idea; I'm also not clear on why that might cause mbam not to run on this system. Thanks.

Count me in as apparently having the same issues as most, computer locking up when enabling active protection.

Windows XP (service Pack 3)

ZA Free

MS Security Essentials

Malwarebytes Pro

I followed the steps and did the uninstall with mbam-clean.exe and set exclusions...numerous times to no avail.

What exact name and version of McAfee are you using? They have several names and versions.

Are you using the Pro version of MBAM?

McAfee Security Center Version 11.0

McAfee Virus Scan version 15.0

mbam is the free version

Still getting the following message when mbam fails to run - "Malwarebytes Anti-Malware has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."

• Root Admin

McAfee Security Center Version 11.0

McAfee Virus Scan version 15.0

mbam is the free version

Still getting the following message when mbam fails to run - "Malwarebytes Anti-Malware has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."

We don't have an exact walk through example for that version but please try the following which should be close. You may need to do some exploring on your own though.

Set Exclusions for Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware in McAfee Total Protection 2011:

1. Open McAfee and click on Navigation in the upper right hand corner.
  2. Click on Firewall located under Features.
  3. Click on Program Permissions and wait for the list to populate.
  4. Click the Add button and then click browser.
  5. Add the following files to the firewall with full access:
    Note: On 64 bit Windows versions these files will be located in C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
    • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe

[*]Click OK

[*]Close the McAfee main window and restart your computer.

Set Exclusions for McAfee Total Protection 2011 in Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware:

• Open Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and click on the Ignore List tab
  • Click the Add button on the lower left
  • In the small browse window that opens, navigate to C:\Program Files and click once on McAfee and click OK.
  • Click the Add button on the lower left
  • In the small browse window that opens, navigate to C:\Program Files and click once on McAfee.com and click OK.
  • Click on the Add button on the lower left
  • In the small browse window that opens, navigate to C:\Program Files\Common Files and click once on McAfee and click OK.
    Note: For 64 bit Windows versions these folders will be in C:\Program Files (x86)
  • Close Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

Just had this issue come up last night on a desktop I'm working on.

At the time, I didn't even have an AV installed, installed Avast later, and don't use Zone Alarm.

I've had this issue on a couple of my Windows 7 machines, but a simple uninstall of the old version and a thorough cleaning with CrapCleaner, and reinstall of newest Mbam corrected it though.

Last night was the first time I had to come here to see if this was a known issue though.

This could've almost been a major boo boo folks!! Let's get it fixed quickly, please!!