How do I know if Vista Security 2012 is really gone?

happhan

My really dumb family members registered for Vista Security 2012 (they paid money!) even though I tried to tell them all it was fake and a virus -___-;

I restarted the computer on safe mode with networking, downloaded and used Rkill, then scanned with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (both quick scan and full scan) in safe mode with networking. MBAM didn't find anything while in safe mode. I honestly find it too good to be true. I thought I would have to do way more than that to get rid of it, and I think the virus might still be on my PC.

So after trying all the steps above ^ I restarted the computer in normal mode. The Vista 2012 Virus is no longer visible as a little icon in the bottom right corner (where the time is also located). Also, when I type "Vista Security 2012" in the search box, I can't find anything.

I thought maybe my MBAM was outdated so I "checked for updates" but the update failed. I made sure my Windows firewall made an exception for MBAM, but the update still failed. I have no way of knowing if the Vista 2012 virus is really gone. Any suggestions?

BTW, my MBAM icon has a a tiny vista shield icon attached to it (you know, the red, green, yellow and blue crest). That can't be right, can it? o___O I don't recall the MBAM icon having that before.

UPDATE: I found out the Vista 2012 virus was still there, and I actually managed to get rid of it today (by hiring a techie friend to do it). I couldn't see the icon in the bottom right corner, until I right-clicked the taskbar to unhide the inactive icons.

I should also mention that while I ran Rkill, it didn't actually scan anything, according to its log.

Here are some details that are probably relevant:

1) The computer I was using didn't have any official anti-virus protection. Don't judge me! :-p It's my relative's computer, not mine. I had installed MBAM on it a long time ago, but in my absence, nobody ever ran it or updated it. It's a Vista, and it had it's own firewall. It managed to stay mostly virus free for 2 years only because I ran MBAM occasionally whenever I visited. I had to uninstall MBAM today, but I'm going to reinstall it.

2) I got a techie friend to help me out today, which is the ONLY reason I was able to get rid of the virus. I don't have enough knowledge on my own to do it by myself. He checked the registry for anything suspicious, and sent them to AVG. I only installed AVG today.

I'll probably make another post later to give more detail on how he got rid of the virus, because I realize this post is not much to go on. I hope my post wasn't too confusing!

• 1 month later...

Hello,

Would you advise if you have resolved your issues or if you have sought help elsewhere?

If not resolved and you are not already seeking help elsewhere, I'd like for you to rerun a new (fresh) DDS and Copy & Paste the DDS.txt into a new reply into this Topic.

Read and follow the directions >> here << , skipping any steps you are unable to complete.

Anyone other than original-poster who has similar issues, do not reply here. Start your own topic.

Due to the lack of feedback this topic is closed to prevent others from posting here. If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this thread with your request. This applies only to the originator of this thread.

Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread. Thanks!