Is a third party firewall essential

pik

I have installed avast6 free and MBAM,but my friends strongly suggest installing a third party firewall.(Microsoft windows XP)

So I am quite questioned. Is a third party firewall essential and which firewall can be compatible with avast?

I am keen on playing computer games and I hear that a third party firewall will slow online games down.

Is that true. I have no idea. HELP,please

I have installed avast6 free and MBAM,but my friends strongly suggest installing a third party firewall.(Microsoft windows XP)

So I am quite questioned. Is a third party firewall essential and which firewall can be compatible with avast?

I am keen on playing computer games and I hear that a third party firewall will slow online games down.

Is that true. I have no idea. HELP,please

Not necessarily. The Windows stock Firewall is sufficient IFF you are a behind a NAT Router or a Router with a full Firewall implementation.

Where a 3rd party Firewall may be advisable is where the platform is a notebook and is taken to places where the network it connects to is not trustworthy such as an Internet-Cafe.

• Root Admin

On XP the built-in firewall only monitors incoming network traffic. That is good, but if you did have something on the system that was trying to send out you probably would not know it. Using a 3rd party firewall the monitors both incoming and outgoing would be preferable.

Often Malware that does happen to get on the box will disable the firewall anyways so at that point it wouldn't matter much either way, but for many infections it would alert you and allow you to block the outgoing traffic. Then you know you need to investigate further what's going on.

On Windows 7 it has a built-in firewall that monitors both incoming and out going and is actually pretty advanced.