Can't connect to the internet after Rootkit.ZeroAccess

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok. I have more info I can add. I went and looked at that reg key we changed. Looking at ImagePath, it just looks like boxes [][][][][][] I'm guessing it's not supposed to look like that! Should I run it again, or do you have a different one I could run to try to fix this? I also have ERUNT automatically backing up the registry, so I can also roll back to before we did that reg fix too, if that would help. I was going to attach a screenshot of that reg key but I can't seem to find the Attach button now for some reason.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got this resolved just by doing a repair install.

I went to Elder Geek.com to inquire about why I couldn't do SFC /scannow or a repair install, even though I had the very CD that I installed Windows on this computer with. They suggested that my problem was because the CD was SP2 and I have SP3 installed on the computer, and also indicated that if you installed Windows with the CD in the D: drive, you must also do any repair stuff with the D: drive as well, and I had been using E:. I knew about that once upon a time, but I guess I forgot over the years. I hate Microsoft...talk about putting the dumbest friggin restrictions on everything. So at their suggestion, (Elder Geeks, not Micro$haft), I took my CD and slipstreamed SP3 into it. I learned that SFC /scannow really doesn't do jack stuff, but i did a repair install and it fixed my problem immediately. My internet is working again, and everything looks good.

Thanks very much for all of your help, LDTate! :D

Glad we could help. :)

If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this thread with your request. This applies only to the originator of this thread.

Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread. Thanks!