Can't install Malwarebytes

Sri

I am unable to install any anti-spyware or anti-malware program. I currently have McAfee and a system scan shows no issues however I am unable to do a web search. The search results always lead to ad sites (go.google.com in the URL). Windows Defender shows up nothing either. I have tired renaming the MB setup file and installation proceeds but hangs when it is finishing up. I have to delete the process to regain control of the system. I ran HT and this is the log I have. All help is much appreciated.

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2

Scan saved at 2:08:58 PM, on 1/23/2009

Platform: Windows XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600)

MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16762)

Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:

C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\ibmpmsvc.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe

C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MsMpEng.exe

C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe

C:\Program Files\ThinkPad\Bluetooth Software\bin\btwdins.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe

C:\Program Files\Cisco Systems\VPN Client\cvpnd.exe

C:\Program Files\Network Associates\Common Framework\FrameworkService.exe

C:\Program Files\Network Associates\VirusScan\Mcshield.exe

C:\Program Files\Network Associates\VirusScan\VsTskMgr.exe

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7DEBUG\MDM.EXE

C:\WINDOWS\system32\rpcnet.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe

C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE

C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPLpr.exe

C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe

C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe

C:\Program Files\Network Associates\VirusScan\SHSTAT.EXE

C:\Program Files\Network Associates\Common Framework\UpdaterUI.exe

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Network Associates\TalkBack\TBMon.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe

C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe

F:\HiJackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Connection Wizard,ShellNext = http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/

O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll

O2 - BHO: DriveLetterAccess - {5CA3D70E-1895-11CF-8E15-001234567890} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\DLA\DLASHX_W.DLL

O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_06\bin\ssv.dll

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [synTPLpr] C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPLpr.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [synTPEnh] C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Windows Defender] "C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe" -hide

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [shStatEXE] "C:\Program Files\Network Associates\VirusScan\SHSTAT.EXE" /STANDALONE

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [McAfeeUpdaterUI] "C:\Program Files\Network Associates\Common Framework\UpdaterUI.exe" /StartedFromRunKey

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Network Associates Error Reporting Service] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Network Associates\TalkBack\TBMon.exe"

O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware] C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe /install /silent

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background

O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\Run: [DWQueuedReporting] "C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\MICROS~1\DW\dwtrig20.exe" -t (User 'SYSTEM')

O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\Run: [DWQueuedReporting] "C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\MICROS~1\DW\dwtrig20.exe" -t (User 'Default user')

O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office12\EXCEL.EXE/3000

O8 - Extra context menu item: Send to &Bluetooth Device... - C:\Program Files\ThinkPad\Bluetooth Software\btsendto_ie_ctx.htm

O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_06\bin\ssv.dll

O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_06\bin\ssv.dll

O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office12\REFIEBAR.DLL

O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe

O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe

O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe

O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe

O16 - DPF: {2DAD3559-2923-4935-AD49-B673D2539944} (IASRunner Class) - http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/acpir.cab

O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://www.update.microsoft.com/windowsupd...b?1201716445781

O16 - DPF: {67DABFBF-D0AB-41FA-9C46-CC0F21721616} - http://download.divx.com/player/DivXBrowserPlugin.cab

O16 - DPF: {6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3} (MUWebControl Class) - http://www.update.microsoft.com/microsoftu...b?1213203686734

O16 - DPF: {8AD9C840-044E-11D1-B3E9-00805F499D93} (Java Runtime Environment 1.6.0) - http://dl8-cdn-01.sun.com/s/ESD42/JSCDL/jr...ows-i586-jc.cab

O23 - Service: Bluetooth Service (btwdins) - Broadcom Corporation. - C:\Program Files\ThinkPad\Bluetooth Software\bin\btwdins.exe

O23 - Service: Cisco Systems, Inc. VPN Service (CVPND) - Cisco Systems, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Cisco Systems\VPN Client\cvpnd.exe

O23 - Service: Contivity VPN Service (ExtranetAccess) - Nortel Networks NA, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Nortel Networks\Extranet_serv.exe

O23 - Service: ThinkPad PM Service (IBMPMSVC) - Lenovo - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ibmpmsvc.exe

O23 - Service: McAfee Framework Service (McAfeeFramework) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Network Associates\Common Framework\FrameworkService.exe

O23 - Service: Network Associates McShield (McShield) - Network Associates, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Network Associates\VirusScan\Mcshield.exe

O23 - Service: Network Associates Task Manager (McTaskManager) - Network Associates, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Network Associates\VirusScan\VsTskMgr.exe

O23 - Service: Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Net (rpcnet) - Absolute Software Corp. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\rpcnet.exe

--

End of file - 6036 bytes

Please disconnect your computer from the Internet and then disable your McAfee software and then see if you can re-install MBAM or not.

If not then let me know, if you can then do a Quick Scan.

This didn't work. This is on my IBM Thinkpad T61. I disabled the wireless connection, uninstalled the AntiVirus and Windows Defender. I tried installing MBAM and it didn't work. I tried renaming the mbam-setup.exe to sri.exe and it appeared to install fine though it took an inordinately long time finishing up the installation. I then tried to run the program and nothing happened. Whatever's infected my laptop seems to be aware of Malwarebytes, I can't even browse to the MalwareBytes.org URL. Usually I only have a problem when I am doing a web search but am able to get to most web sites but when I try to visit the malwarebytes.org site it performs a google search. I don't want to lose my laptop :)

Welcome to Malwarebytes

Download GMER Antirootkit and uzip it to a folder that you create such as C:\Gmer\: http://www.gmer.net/gmer.zip

• Disconnect from the internet and disable all active protection so your security program drivers will not conflict with gmer's driver
  • Double-click Gmer.exe to run the program.
  • When the program opens, click the "Rootkit" Tab
  • On the right-side, check all the items to be scanned, but leave "Show All" unchecked
  • Select all drives that are connected to your system to be scanned
  • Click the Scan button
  • When the scan is finished, click Copy to save the scan log to the Windows clipboard
  • Open Notepad or a similar text editor
  • Paste the clipboard contents into a text file by clicking Edit | Paste or Ctl V
  • Save the gmer scan log and post it in your next reply.
  • Close Gmer
  • Open a command prompt (Start | run |type cmd and hit Enter)
    • Type or paste the following to unload the gmer driver:
    • net stop gmer
    • Hit Enter
    • Exit the command prompt.

[*]Re-enable all active protection.

I tried this, but clicking on gmer.exe does not do anything. The hourglass figure comes up briefly and then nothing happens. I am not sure what's happening.

Welcome to Malwarebytes

Download GMER Antirootkit and uzip it to a folder that you create such as C:\Gmer\: http://www.gmer.net/gmer.zip

• Disconnect from the internet and disable all active protection so your security program drivers will not conflict with gmer's driver
  • Double-click Gmer.exe to run the program.
  • When the program opens, click the "Rootkit" Tab
  • On the right-side, check all the items to be scanned, but leave "Show All" unchecked
  • Select all drives that are connected to your system to be scanned
  • Click the Scan button
  • When the scan is finished, click Copy to save the scan log to the Windows clipboard
  • Open Notepad or a similar text editor
  • Paste the clipboard contents into a text file by clicking Edit | Paste or Ctl V
  • Save the gmer scan log and post it in your next reply.
  • Close Gmer
  • Open a command prompt (Start | run |type cmd and hit Enter)
    • Type or paste the following to unload the gmer driver:
    • net stop gmer
    • Hit Enter
    • Exit the command prompt.

[*]Re-enable all active protection.

Okay this shall fix the problem. After running the program below, please update MBAM, run a quick scan, and post the both logs. Thanks

1. Please download The Avenger2 by Swandog46 to your Desktop.

• Right click on the Avenger.zip folder and select "Extract All..."
  • Follow the prompts and extract the avenger folder to your desktop

2. Copy all the text contained in the code box below to your Clipboard by highlighting it and pressing (Ctrl+C):

Files to delete:C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\TDSSpqlt.sysDrivers to delete:TDSSserv.sys

Note: the above code was created specifically for this user. If you are not this user, do NOT follow these directions as they could damage the workings of your system.

3. Now, open the avenger folder and start The Avenger program by clicking on its icon.

• Right click on the window under Input script here:, and select Paste.
  • You can also Paste the text copied to the clipboard into this window by pressing (Ctrl+V), or click on the third button under the menu to paste it from the clipboard.
  • Click on Execute
  • Answer "Yes" twice when prompted.

4. The Avenger will automatically do the following:

[*]It will Restart your computer. ( In cases where the code to execute contains "Drivers to Delete" or "Drivers to Disable", The Avenger will actually restart your system twice.)

[*]On reboot, it will briefly open a black command window on your desktop, this is normal.

[*]After the restart, it creates a log file that should open with the results of Avenger

I did as recommended and I am attaching the MBAM, HT and Avenger logs. Is it fixed?

Okay this shall fix the problem. After running the program below, please update MBAM, run a quick scan, and post the both logs. Thanks

1. Please download The Avenger2 by Swandog46 to your Desktop.

• Right click on the Avenger.zip folder and select "Extract All..."
  • Follow the prompts and extract the avenger folder to your desktop

2. Copy all the text contained in the code box below to your Clipboard by highlighting it and pressing (Ctrl+C):

Files to delete:C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\TDSSpqlt.sysDrivers to delete:TDSSserv.sys

Note: the above code was created specifically for this user. If you are not this user, do NOT follow these directions as they could damage the workings of your system.

3. Now, open the avenger folder and start The Avenger program by clicking on its icon.

• Right click on the window under Input script here:, and select Paste.
  • You can also Paste the text copied to the clipboard into this window by pressing (Ctrl+V), or click on the third button under the menu to paste it from the clipboard.
  • Click on Execute
  • Answer "Yes" twice when prompted.

4. The Avenger will automatically do the following:

[*]It will Restart your computer. ( In cases where the code to execute contains "Drivers to Delete" or "Drivers to Disable", The Avenger will actually restart your system twice.)

[*]On reboot, it will briefly open a black command window on your desktop, this is normal.

[*]After the restart, it creates a log file that should open with the results of Avenger

avenger.txt

mbam_log_2009_01_29__10_31_41_.txt

hijackthis_01292009.log.txt

avenger.txt

mbam_log_2009_01_29__10_31_41_.txt

hijackthis_01292009.log.txt

Go ahead and delete the following

From your desktop

Avenger.zip and Avenger.exe

C:\Avenger

Now that your system is clean you should SET A NEW RESTORE POINT to prevent future reinfection from the old restore point AFTER cleaning your system of any malware infection. Any trojans or spyware you picked up could have been saved in System Restore and are waiting to re-infect you. Since System Restore is a protected directory, your tools can not access it to delete files, trapping viruses inside. Setting a new restore point should be done to prevent any future reinfection from the old restore point and enable your computer to "roll-back" in case there is a future problem.

To SET A NEW RESTORE POINT:

1. Go to Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools and click "System Restore".

2. Choose the radio button marked "Create a Restore Point" on the first screen then click "Next". Give the R.P. a name then click "Create". The new point will be stamped with the current date and time. Keep a log of this so you can find it easily should you need to use System Restore.

3. Then go to Start > Run and type: Cleanmgr

4. Click "OK".

5. Click the "More Options" Tab.

6. Click "Clean Up" in the System Restore section to remove all previous restore points except the newly created one.

Graphics for doing this are in the following links if you need them.

How to Create a Restore Point.

How to use Cleanmgr.

======================================

Here is some useful information on keeping your computer clean:

1. Most important thing is to make sure Windows is kept up to date with the latest patches and updates from Windows Update.
  2. Here are two great Preventive programs

:

1. SpywareBlaster protects you from malicious ActiveX controls and cookies. Make sure and check for updates twice a month.

[*]Anti-Spyware Programs I Recommend:

• Free Anti-Spyware Programs
  1. MalwareBytes Anti-Malware
  2. For Even More Information On Securing Your Computer read Tony Klein's So How Did I Get Infected In The First Place