Exclude file types

Den65

Hi

great product, but I would like to know if there is some way to excude file types, example movie files, mp3's etc.. as i have loads of these on my system, and it takes ages to scan, if not, i'll put it forward as a suggestion for the next update.

thanks for your time

all the best

• Staff

Greetings. the way that Malwarebytes' works, full scans really aren't necessary so file exclusion should be a non issue. In fact, according to the developers, a quick scan will find all the infections that Malwarebytes' can detect on a system (at least if the threats are active).

• 3 months later...

Hail to all :wave:

Thank you for this wonderful advance in security :angry:

I usually do a complete Scan once a week.

This seems not necessary after reading exile360 comment. Is this true ?

When I run the Scan I have install programs on my computer ".exe" or ".msi"

I would like to exclude them from the scan but there are no options in the exclude tab ???

How may I exclude folders from scan ?

Thank you very much for your time and knowledge

• Staff

Greetings Belles :angry: .

There is currently no option to exclude folders from scans as there aren't really too many "custom" scanning options at all, just the Quick Scan, which is designed to look in the most common places for active malware to hide, and the Full Scan, which scans every file and folder on the computer. I believe a custom scanning option was discussed some time ago, but I don't think there's any immediate plans to implement it, maybe in version 2.0? Either way, you generally only need to scan with the Quick Scan (as I pointed out earlier) so it's largely unnecessary to exclude any folders from scans unless you're doing full scans. Another option though, if you want to check certain folders that don't get scanned in the Quick Scan would be to use the context menu scan option by right-clicking on the folder or file you want scanned and selecting Scan with Malwarebytes'. I believe you can select multiple folders and do this as well so it would save some time for you :) .

Greetings to you exile360 :)

Thank you for your time, knowledge and effort.

On your advice I will reduce to quick scanning weekly and a full scan every month.

My concern actually was about my AntiVirus : Nod32 and I found out how to exclude folders with the program.

Please forgive my confusing both results. Actually MBAM does not make the same errors and finds different Mal/SpyWare.

Hope I didn't make you loose to much time :)

I guess I do too many things at the same time and end up in not being as efficient as I would like.

I love the program and ended all my older antispam products (SpyBot & Ad-Aware Lavasoft)

But I've kept SpyWareBlaster and SpyWareGuard running underline.

Hope I am well secure now :angry:

• Staff

Hope I am well secure now :angry:
It sure sounds like it :) . It's no trouble at all to answer you, that's what I'm here for :) . I myself still keep Spybot around, but only for its immunize feature, I never scan with it any more. Just keep your software up to date and use common sense and caution when surfing the net and you should be OK :) . I'm a Kaspersky user myself, but I've heard a lot of good things about NOD32 over the years and it seems to be very solid.

Hail to all :wave:

Thank you for this wonderful advance in security :mellow:

I usually do a complete Scan once a week.

This seems not necessary after reading exile360 comment. Is this true ?

From an operational standpoint, it's not necessary. However, a full scan is good for those times if your concerned that orphaned malware is still present on your computer. Orphaned meaning nothing is pointing to the file anymore and it's not being executed, but it's still on the hard disk posing slight risk. (IE: short of you clicking on it to run it on purpose, it's dead).

A full scan allows MBAM to clean up the corpses, so to speak. :)

When I run the Scan I have install programs on my computer ".exe" or ".msi"

I would like to exclude them from the scan but there are no options in the exclude tab ???

How may I exclude folders from scan ?

There's no need to do so. MBAM is a smart scanner and can tell the difference between executable programs and data files.

Hi,

Thank you Raid :mellow:

I decided to do a full scan once a month and a quick one once a week.

I abandoned the option of excluding folders from the MBAM scan because I got confused with Nod32 scans wanting to delete my install programs. I managed that since.

I wanted to add to yesterdays post this new information :

You can check out firewalls here:

Matousec Proactive Security Challenge

Hope this is usefull