Searching filenames with periods in forum's search removes them.

Ant Dude

Searching mbamswissarmy.sys takes me to http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?app=core&module=search&do=search&fromMainBar=1 with "No results found for 'mbamswissarmysys'." Note the missing period. Same with other filenames like explorer.exe. :(

What's up with that? Thank you in advance. :)

Greetings :)

Unfortunately it's a limitation of the forum search tool (it removes all punctuation, including ":" and "."). It is annoying, but unfortunately the forum software doesn't allow us to change the behavior (believe me, we did try).

So if you're searching for info on "mbamswissarmy.sys", I would recommend simply searching for the string "mbamswissarmy", which should give you usable results, otherwise you can use Google and do a search like this:

mbamswissarmy.sys site:malwarebytes.org

That will also give you good results since our board is indexed by Google.

Greetings :)

Unfortunately it's a limitation of the forum search tool (it removes all punctuation, including ":" and "."). It is annoying, but unfortunately the forum software doesn't allow us to change the behavior (believe me, we did try).

So if you're searching for info on "mbamswissarmy.sys", I would recommend simply searching for the string "mbamswissarmy", which should give you usable results, otherwise you can use Google and do a search like this:

That will also give you good results since our board is indexed by Google.

Thank you. :) Maybe it is time to switch/change the forum? Or ask the guys who made the forum to fix it? ;) For now, maybe there should be a note about this limitation for those who try to search with punctuations?

We use a pretty commonly used forum software, and for the most part, we do like it. It's IPB, and as far as I know, they are well aware of it. We aren't using the latest version (yet), but even the latest version does the same thing.

Sheesh. Tell them to add that feature request. :D

Who knows? It could just be a limitation of their engine or else they have just as many customers that don't want it to be that way and want punctuation excluded from searches.

:( Oh well, at least put a note about this limitation for those who try to use it like me. ;)

• 2 months later...

I was about to make the same complaint, then found this thread. I was trying to search for "xxx.exe" (a trojan, which mbam failed to detect), so I concluded the thing to do was to replace the dot with a space - no good, because the forum also refuses to let me search for three letter words. Darn those three letter words. So much more offensive than the four letter ones.

Was the search function designed by an incompetent control freak?