Just how often is there a compatibility issue with MBAM Pro?

kramyugtaht

I'm kind of sick of people on forums like Microsoft saying you can't use ANYTHING else that has real time protection with MSE, when I know MBAM Pro works fine. I'm curious to know just how often there is even an issue if people put the proper exclusions in. (heavens! Novice will get confused browsing to folders and locating a few files!!) My guess is the "potential" problems really hardly ever comes up.

It's true that compatibility issues do occasionally occur, but it is rare, especially these days, and even more rare if you have proper exclusions set. Our Quality Assurance team conducts regular checks for compatibility with many common AV programs and we also constantly monitor our forums and support helpdesk for any reports of compatibility issues so that we can try to get the issues resolved or find workarounds (such as setting exclusions).

Sometimes it can depend on your software setup and your version of Windows. I've seen fairly simple installs of Windows where MSE and MBAM both running their protection at the same time always caused the system to freeze. Some people can run both at once and never see issues.

Fortunately, with most anti-virus software, you can simply add exclusions in your anti-virus for the drivers and services from MBAM and that solves the issues. There's a quick guide on how to do it with MSE in the "FAQ - Common Issues, Questions, and their Solutions" topic that is pinned in the "General Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware" forum. ;)

The issue with MSE actually went away when MS released their 2.x version, though I have heard reports that setting exclusions can improve system responsiveness a bit (and I generally like to set exclusions for good measure anyway).

I think another issue with MSE is there are people with poor language skills who do not distinguish between will not work and not supported. ;) Just because they don't want to put in the work to guarantee the product works with another (or discover anything outside of the MS world) it doesn't mean they/it won't!

Personally, I use Kasperksy AV and Mbam Pro together, with exclusions added for KAV in MBAM and exclusions for MBAM in KAV and they play together quite nicely :D

I haven't tried Mbam pro w/ MSE yet but I plan to soon and I am sure that it will work JUST fine with exclusions ;)

I have used MSE+MBAM PRO on every operating system that MSE runs on (XP, Vista (both x86 and x64) and 7 (both x86 and x64) and I've had no issues, especially with 2.x, but I still set exclusions as well just in case.

+1

I keep a reg file for each OS for MSE and a copy of the ignore.ref for mbam for each OS as well :P

I have used MSE+MBAM PRO on every operating system that MSE runs on (XP, Vista (both x86 and x64) and 7 (both x86 and x64) and I've had no issues, especially with 2.x, but I still set exclusions as well just in case.

I've been running the new MSE (beta) and MBAM Pro on Win XP (exclusions set) with no problems at all.

Both? I was under the impression MBAM is smart enough to not need it?

No, Malwarebytes is not an antivirus, nor is it a replacement for one. Its purpose is to catch the threats that most antivirus software fails to detect, fails to remove or both. Our research staff does not focus on adding detection to our database for threats that are well covered by antivirus software and we do not scan emails or block malicious web scripts. To be fully protected you do need an up to date active antivirus on your system.

Absolutely both :)

Malwarebytes is a complement to an antivirus program. You should never run just Malwarebytes, and ideally you should never run just an AV. Malwarebytes is good at catching what AV's are not able to or not designed to get.

@Swarnava

I am glad that you are having no issues as well. I love the combo. Two of the most powerful protections that you can get (in my opinion), working together! :D;)

Both? I was under the impression MBAM is smart enough to not need it?

Funny, when I read your post, I assumed that you were asking why you would need to add exclusions to both MSE and MBAM. I was quite confused when I saw Samuel answering a different question, however I suspect that he may have been right about what you were asking. ;)

Funny, when I read your post, I assumed that you were asking why you would need to add exclusions to both MSE and MBAM. I was quite confused when I saw Samuel answering a different question, however I suspect that he may have been right about what you were asking. ;)

I was asking about adding exclusions to both the AV and MBAM. The threads with the instructions I have found always only mentioned adding exclusions for MBAM in the AV, but nothing about exclusions for the AV in MBAM so I assumed you didn't need to do that. That's what I meant by MBAM not needing it - not the AV that it complements but just not needing exclusions for the AV it is running with.

So should I be adding exclusions in MBAM for MSE, Kaspersky and the like? Maybe because these are popular titles MBAM just knows not to mess with those?

It's not necessary, however doing so may improve performance since MBAM won't be scanning those processes.

There is also the fact that some anti-virus softwares don't react well to having their drivers and services scanned. I vaguely remember Panda's 2010 line of software having issues with MBAM that could only be fixed by added exclusions to MBAM, however I don't remember any of the specifics. I do believe that there were versions of McAfee that had this issue as well, and I remember a McAfee-based AV (can't remember the name though) which had the issue on Windows XP, however both of those anti-viruses required exclusions to be set in MBAM because they had no method of setting exclusions in their software.

Of course, things may be a little different these days, as technology changes fast in this business. ;)

There is also the fact that some anti-virus softwares don't react well to having their drivers and services scanned. I vaguely remember Panda's 2010 line of software having issues with MBAM that could only be fixed by added exclusions to MBAM, however I don't remember any of the specifics. I do believe that there were versions of McAfee that had this issue as well, and I remember a McAfee-based AV (can't remember the name though) which had the issue on Windows XP, however both of those anti-viruses required exclusions to be set in MBAM because they had no method of setting exclusions in their software.

Of course, things may be a little different these days, as technology changes fast in this business. ;)

I was referring specifically to both MSE and Kaspersky, the two products the user was asking about.