Manual removal of Malwarebytes

System: WinXP Pro SP2

Spyware Problem: System Security

I downloaded and ran the MBAM.exe setup program. It never finished or launched. I assumed that the spyware program was blocking it.

I tried the Spybot tool. It installed, ran and removed the infection. Norton AV came back as well as Windows Update.

I have the Malwarebytes folders, desktop icon and startup folder on the computer which includes the unistaller icon and I have it listed in my Add/Remove programs applet.

I cannot un-install the Malwarebytes program using the uninstaller or Add/Remove programs. I cannot reinstall the program either to correct any corrupted registry entries. When I run mbam.exe it starts but then goes away. Taskmgr doesn't show any processes running from the program either.

How can I manually remove Malewarebytes?

• Root Admin

Hello and Welcome to Malwarebytes.org

I can provide you with either a tool or instructions to remove it but it REALLY sounds like you're not clean.

There are some Rootkit infections going around that are pretty good at hiding from most of the known removal tools.

I would suggest you run what you can from this posting, and open a new post in the forum referenced and someone will help you further as soon as they can.

Please read and follow the instructions provided here: I'm infected - What do I do now?

Someone will be happy to assist you further with cleaning your system if required

During this scan and cleanup process you should not install any other software unless requested to do so.