Trojan.fakeMS

Hi, hope somebody can give me some advice. I have just inherited a windows xp laptop, i usually use a mac. I have installed AVG free anti virus, and on scanning it says the pc is clean. I then ran malwarebytes free and it detected:

trojan.fakeMS category: file item c:\windows\ie7\iexplore.exe

i clicked remove and restarted the computer, I havent got time right now to run another scan as i need to go to work, but what i am wondering is:

googling this suggests it is difficult to remove. if i rescan and malwarebytes doesnt detect it, am i ok?

since nothing else was detected, does this mean the program has not run/done anything malicious?

Ive only used this computer for a bit of light browsing, the only passwords it had are my hotmail and facebook, which i have changed. Is there anything else i need to do? like to my wireless router?

how much of a threat are trojans, keyloggers etc really? is it all blown up to sell security software?

sorry if these are awful noob questions, i am not used to all this stuff, and the sites i have looked at all seem to be trying to sell me something, im not sure if i can trust them!

hope someone can advise, thanks for your help

David