prevent internet provider from snooping

cobbera

I am living on a university campus and connect to the internet through an Ethernet cable. I know that they snoop the traffic. Is there any software or hardware I can get to encrypt all my traffic? I tried using Tor but I can't get it to work with any applications e.g. Outlook or Windows live.

I am living on a university campus and connect to the internet through an Ethernet cable. I know that they snoop the traffic. Is there any software or hardware I can get to encrypt all my traffic? I tried using Tor but I can't get it to work with any applications e.g. Outlook or Windows live.

When on the University's network you are expected to act properly on their network. If you are acting in a way you don't like to be "snooped" then simply don't do it.

Otherwise get your own ISP such as from a broadband cellular card.

Personally I wouldn't want to be snooped on like that either, but as stated already, it is their network, they provide access, so if you use it, you must play by their rules. Getting your own WAN card or USB dongle through a cellular service provider is the way to go (and what I would do if I were in that situation) so that you don't have to be concerned with being snooped on.

a few hours after i posted my first reply in this thread i was asked (oddly enough) if i knew how to (basically) hack my way into secured wireless networks .

i asked the person why .

"i don't have a connection and there are a bunch that i can see in my apartment building" .

"so then , they are all secured and encrypted ?"

"yes ... can you do it ?"

"weeell ... i can , but i won't ?"

"why not ?"

"it is first off a matter or morals and ethics , secondly it is a matter of legalities"

"could you show me how to do it ?"

"i could , but i won't ."

"why not ?"

"it is a matter ethics , moralities and legalities ."

"how is it a legal issue ?"

"it is called conspiracy and accessory after the fact ."

so , what does this have to do with this thread ?

in my book , two things :

(1) : put the shoe on the other foot and look at it from the other side of the table

(2) : if i provide someone with the information to circumvent (or even attempt to circumvent) existing "rules and regulations" i am culpable and complicit in the act .

All service providers can and do monitor network traffic. The university is just one cog in the wheel.

You could use VPN but then that connection on the other end can also be monitored. So regardless of where you go it's still possible to be monitored.

So your saying the owner of the VPN could spy on me? I would rather that. Would this do the trick?

So your saying the owner of the VPN could spy on me? I would rather that. Would this do the trick?

ipredator would be my recommendation but you could do it directly from tor, in any case if you are only at your uni during classes and still live at home you could set up putty and tunnel directly to your home network for said surfing.

oh and mind you if you use a split tunnel vpn all information will still be visible to isp. but long story short if your worried about your personal informations security over the network don't use it.