Windows Vista Security Center does not recognize MBAM

I was working on an elderly friend's computer today and noticed that the Vista Home x32 Operating System does not monitor MBAM. I had noticed this several days before and disabled monitoring of MBAM. When I re-enabled today, same thing, I have to tell the Security Center that I'll monitor MBAM myself.

McAfee Internet Security had allowed an infection of trojans, and the CloudAV 2012" fake antivirus, so I had d/l-ed MBAM to help clean the PC. It would be helpful and good to report to the Security Center. The average user doesn't know what to do when the Security Center reports an absent Anti-Virus when a copy of "MBAM Pro" is in fact running in real-time.

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings :)

MBAM is not a replacement for antivirus software, it is meant to complement the protection provided by a full antivirus product and is designed to detect the threats that are missed by most antivirus software.

Strange because I just read another answer (link) by an "Honorary Member" advising a user NOT to use Emsisoft Anti-Malware in real-time alongside MBAM since two antiviruses will conflict. But then I note your reply here, saying otherwise.

Those are two links to the threads I've read, which I found via Search Results. Also it seems that MBAM has a very good detection rate; it detected stuff that McAfee Internet Security allowed to infect my friend's PC. And when I did a scan with an up-to-date NBRT (Norton Boot Recovery Tool) that I created on a bootable thumb-drive, Norton did not detect anything in a full scan either?

Both those AV products, Norton and McAfee, are usually very good: They score highly in the professional AV testing: AV Comparatives, Virus Bulletin, etc. So it seems that MBAM might, indeed, be able to substitute for an AV product. When I cleaned my friend's PC, I uninstalled McAfee after putting the Pro version of MBAM on there. Should I reinstall McAfee on my friend's PC, per your suggestion here that MBAM is only meant to complement a full AV product ?

Thanks so much ..

Strange because I just read another answer (link) by an "Honorary Member" advising a user NOT to use Emsisoft Anti-Malware in real-time alongside MBAM since two antiviruses will conflict. But then I note your reply here, saying otherwise.

Those are two links to the threads I've read, which I found via Search Results. Also it seems that MBAM has a very good detection rate; it detected stuff that McAfee Internet Security allowed to infect my friend's PC. And when I did a scan with an up-to-date NBRT (Norton Boot Recovery Tool) that I created on a bootable thumb-drive, Norton did not detect anything in a full scan either?

Both those AV products, Norton and McAfee, are usually very good: They score highly in the professional AV testing: AV Comparatives, Virus Bulletin, etc. So it seems that MBAM might, indeed, be able to substitute for an AV product. When I cleaned my friend's PC, I uninstalled McAfee after putting the Pro version of MBAM on there. Should I reinstall McAfee on my friend's PC, per your suggestion here that MBAM is only meant to complement a full AV product ?

Thanks so much ..

Regarding what the Honorary Member stated, note that he mentioned the fact that Emsisoft contains an antivirus engine, and thus it is an antivirus. We detect what they miss, that's the point, and the reason that MBAM detects items that McAfee, Norton and other antivirus products may not. The Honorary Member was speaking in regards to the original poster's question about using Emsisoft alongside COMODO Premium Security (which also contains an antivirus, much like Emsisoft) and was not stating in any way that Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is an antivirus (feel free to send Buttons a personal message if you wish, and I assure you he'll say the same, he has been a long time member of this forum and knows a lot about what MBAM is and how it works).

I work for this company, and I assure you that I know for a fact that beyond any doubt, using Malwarebytes Anti-Malware alone without an active antivirus will not fully protect your PC, but it is your PC so you of course may do so if you wish, just note that I strongly advise against it. We do not target all threats, only those that most antivirus software fails to detect, fails to remove or both (which again, explains why you saw what you did with Norton and McAfee). In addition to that, we do not scan emails, check webpages for malicious scripts or scan within archives (zip, RAR etc.) the way that antivirus software does. We also do not disinfect files, so if you have a system file that has been compromised or 'patched' by an infection, you would need an antivirus product to disinfect it safely.

MBAM is a powerful tool, and it does add a great amount of protection to a PC, but it does not replace an antivirus because it is not capable of doing so and is not intended for that purpose. It is meant to be an added layer of protection to guard against the threats that your antivirus might let through.

• 8 months later...

Sorry to dredge up an old post, but this is the topic I was looking for...

I bought Malwarebytes about a year ago and have been using it since, as my only antivirus...is the pro version good enough to run standalone, with realtime filesystem monitoring enabled? Or should I get a free antivirus to run alongside it?

Sorry to dredge up an old post, but this is the topic I was looking for...

I bought Malwarebytes about a year ago and have been using it since, as my only antivirus...is the pro version good enough to run standalone, with realtime filesystem monitoring enabled? Or should I get a free antivirus to run alongside it?

Malwarebytes is not an anti-virus software, it is an Anti-Malware software. You still need to have an active anti-virus program running alongside Malwarebytes. Your system is not protected and this is why your Security Center shows you as being unprotected.

You need to install an antivirus program, may I suggest Microsoft Security Essentials.

After you install it, you may want to run a scan using your antivirus program to make sure you have not picked up any infections in the past year since you haven't been running one.

Hello and welcome rdsqc22: :)

EDIT: OOPS! Firefox beat me to the punch! :)

Old topic, same answers.

No, MBAM PRO is NOT an anti-virus, and is not a substitute for one.

Here is a KB topic about this: Does Malwarebytes Anti-Malware replace antivirus software?

More info can be found in these posts:

http://forums.malwar...11

http://forums.malwar...ndpost&p=507785

You still need a robust, realtime, up-to-date anti-virus, either free or paid.

There are several suggestions here: http://forums.malwar...howtopic=112235

If you need help setting the mutual exclusions between the AV and MBAM PRO, check >>HERE<< or post back & someone will help -- it's not hard.

If you don't have a hardware firewall, it's a good idea to add a software firewall, too (either standalone or part of an Internet Security Suite).

HTH,

daledoc1