a vista(less) video problem

CWB

hey all ,

i am working on a friend's comp :

dell vostro 220

vista

no video card (on board graphics)

i can boot the machine into the safe mode and the resolution is ok ... scaling is good , i can click all the buttons at the bottom of various pop up windows .

in other words : it works ok .

when i boot into the normal mode the video is in low resolution ... everything is big .

it is so big i can't get to the "apply settings" button at the bottom of the display settings (monitor resolution) window .

i have done *some* checking and this seems to be a problem with many makes and models of comps running vista .

i have not found a definitive solution (step1 --- stepX) / sequence for elimination and getting to the root of the problem .

there are plenty of "oh yeah , i fixed it by doing this ..." fixes out there ... none have worked .

i have tried killing various processes , from TDD to stopping a bunch of stuff in the startup .

any ideas ?

weeelll ,

i finally found the driver at the dell site .

it was not labeled as the GMA 4500 /g45/g43 driver ... it is listed as the "fancy" name (much as the different flavors of the pentium cpus are) under video cards (?!) .

installed and rebooted ...

after checking for the ability to run the windows aero crap , it took about 2 minutes to come up with a desktop .

it is the correct size/geometry/native resolution for the monitor i have hooked to it .

i will test with a couple of other monitors just to make sure that the detection is correct , plus a few restarts to make sure the fix "sticks" .

also ... i will tell my friend to NOT update the driver with windows update ! :angry:

now ... to sift through and clean out the junk . <_<

thanks for the help !