Computer freezes with Malwarebytes

Did a Windows recovery because of XP security 2012.Installed Malware Bytes and NOD32. Everything works fine until I plug an externel hard drive in. It is never shows up as being installed and my computer freezes. If I uninstall Malware Bytes externel drives work fine

Hello BudE,

This issue could more then likely be fixed by adding exclusions for Malwarebytes in your anti-virus software. Below are instructions specific to NOD32.

• Open the ESET module.
  • Click on the Setup tab from the left hand side.
  • Select the option Toggle Advanced Mode. Click yes from the pop-up window.
  • From here, the Setup Tab in Advanced Mode, click on the blue writing that reads "Enter Entire Advanced setup tree..."
  • In the window that pops up, click on the Exclusions option.
  • Click the Add button and add the Malwarebytes files for your operating system.

For Windows XP:

C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe

C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe

C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe

C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.dll

C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamext.dll

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref

C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbam.sys

• Once this is complete, click the OK button.

BudE,

Are you still having the issue now that you are running the latest version of the ESET software? If so, please go ahead and try the following.

1. Restart your computer and boot into Safe Mode by tapping the F8 key repeatedly until a menu shows up that list several boot options.
  2. Select Safe Mode from the list using the up and down arrow keys and press enter.
  3. Login on your main account.
  4. Once the desktop is displayed, go ahead and attempt to connect to your external hard drive. Once you have attempted this and have the results, please restart your computer and boot back into normal mode.

Let me know the results.

OK, then this is more then likely an issue with your anti-virus conflicting with Malwarebytes(we tested in safe mode because it will launch without loading your anti-virus). Since you have added the Malwarebytes files to the exclusions list for your anti-virus, lets add the anti-virus files to Malwarebytes ignore list. Please follow the instructions below to add the NOD32 files to Malwarebytes ignore list.

• Open the Malwarebytes interface.
  • Click on the Ignore List tab.
  • Click the Add button and add the following files to the Malwarebytes ignore list. After selecting each file press the OK button to add to the list.

• C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\ESET

• C:\Program Files\ESET

• C:\Windows\System32\drivers\eamonm.sys

• C:\Windows\System32\drivers\epfwwfpr.sys

• C:\Windows\System32\drivers\ehdrv.sys

[*]Once all of the files have been added, you can go ahead and restart your computer and then test to see if you have any issues with the external drive.

Note: If you are not able to find the Application Data under Documents and Settings folder when adding exclusions please refer to this post about showing hidden files and folders.

Go to the ESET forums and do some reading. In my case, I had to resort back to the latest ESET 4.x version. The ESET 5.x gave me the USB drive trouble also. I have yet to try Eset 5.0.95 (which is suppose to fix your issue, but it hasn't for everyone). I would be safe and wait for a few more releases of version 5.x to ensure no problems with ESET. ESET is very good. This bug is new and just weird, as it was never around in the past in my experience.

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=89

I don't think it is Malwarebytes fault. It may be something ESET done. You may have to uninstall, or even possibly run their removal tool (but only do that if THEY suggest to).

Good luck.