MB Pro - Scheduled Scans questions

I have MB setup with:

Checked - "Perform scheduled scan silently from system account"

UNchecked - "Open log file immediately after saving."

Will MB display the log file (or a warning message) if any malware is found with these settings?

Or, do I have to view the Log File / Quarantine List to see if there are issues?

I want MB to run as silent as possible, but I do want to know if there are ever any issues.

I am normally logged into Windows with my "Standard Account".

I rarely use my "Administrator Account".

When using "scan silently from system account" will MB scheduled scans check data for all my accounts (Standard and Admin)?

FYI:

In the MB Help (Settings Topic), the "Scheduler Settings" is not shown.

That might be where these questions would be answered, if it was in the MB help.

Thanks, David

Greetings :)

Will MB display the log file (or a warning message) if any malware is found with these settings?
No, you'll have to check the logs yourself to see if anything was found or not.
When using "scan silently from system account" will MB scheduled scans check data for all my accounts (Standard and Admin)?
Files and folders, yes, but not your HKEY_CURRENT_USER registry hive. That can only be scanned from the actual account you're running under, so if a scan is set to run silently it will not check the HKEY_CURRENT_USER registry hive for your other account(s).

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings :)

No, you'll have to check the logs yourself to see if anything was found or not.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding something, but that seems odd to me. Why wouldn't the silent option--or another option I may not be aware of--not bother you until it finds something? Are the choices really "never show me anything" and "always show me something"?

Maybe I'm misunderstanding something, but that seems odd to me. Why wouldn't the silent option--or another option I may not be aware of--not bother you until it finds something? Are the choices really "never show me anything" and "always show me something"?

It's because silent is silent. The protection module works differently, you do get notifications, but for scheduled scans (which are an automated process), this is the way I would want it to be.

If I'm doing a scan manually (i.e., not silent, not scheduled), then I want to see my results at the end, whether it's clean or not (and especially if it's not) so that I can deal with any threats that are found. For scheduled scans, I don't want to be bothered at all, especially if the scan is supposed to be silent, because the second I see a log or notification, that task has failed to qualify as 'silent'.

A better option for silent scans, if you want threats dealt with, would be to use the Remove and quarantine all threats automatically. option, and if the scans are set to run overnight when you're away from the computer, you can also set the option to Restart the computer if required for threat removal., that way any detected threats get dealt with.

OK, but for me with scheduled scans, I'd want another option that's silent until a problem presents itself, which on most systems is going to be very nearly the same thing. I would think that would be a very popular choice, too, since the alternative seems to be manually looking at logs every day (where close to 100% of the time you'll find nothing) or, like you pointed out, having something taken care of automatically (I'd rather do it myself). In the latter case, does it even bother to tell you that something was removed, or is that silent too? If it doesn't, I definitely wouldn't set it that way.

What you could do is set the scans to run, but not silently. These scans will run with the UI open, which you can minimize if you wish so that it's out of the way, then set the option to Terminate program when scan completes successfully.. If anything is found, the scanner won't terminate and will remain open so that you can review any threats that were detected and decide if you wish to remove them or not. If nothing is found, the scanner will close itself once the scan completes.

The scan obviously isn't fully silent this way, but it seems to be pretty close to what you're looking for.

Excellent :)

The scheduler does have some limitations, but with the number of options it contains, there's usually a combination that fits most scenarios. Also note that all of these options may also be used from the command line with the PRO version, so if you ever want a special scan that runs on-demand instead of through the scheduler, you can create a batch file instead and just run that. All supported command line syntax can be found inside the Help file located in START>All Programs>Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware :).