removed xp antivirus 2012 and nothing works

My wife picks up this xp antivirus trojan and I go through hell to figure out how to remove it. Finally appears to be gone after I ran anti malwarebytes program while in safe mode. But now none of my programs want to open on that computer. Get a window asking me what program I want to use to open whatever I clicked on and none of the choices work. Now I can not use my browsers or anything else except the Microsoft word stuff still works. This virus did something and I would dearly love to know how to fix it.

Greetings and welcome :)

Please try running exeHelper as described here. If that does not work or you have any additional issues or symptoms of infection then please do the following:

Please read and follow the directions here, skipping any steps you are unable to complete. Then create a NEW topic here.

One of the expert helpers there will give you one on one assistance when one becomes available.

Please note that it may take 48 hours or more for you to receive a response in the malware removal forum, as it is often busy at times. Please do not reply to your own post asking for help unless its been more than 48 hours since you originally posted, as this can make it appear as though you are being helped and take longer for you to get help.

If you are unable to do all or any of the steps in the link to the directions above, just post your problem into the forum I gave you a link to anyway and someone will be able to assist you.

If you prefer to be assisted via email you may contact support@malwarebytes.org and one of our support staff members will assist you directly.

If you are a reseller, affiliate, technician, corporate, business, educational, government or non-profit customer then please contact corporate-support@malwarebytes.org and include full contact details along with your Reference # when you do to ensure that you receive prompt assistance.

Thank you :)

Greetings and welcome :)

Please try running exeHelper as described here. If that does not work or you have any additional issues or symptoms of infection then please do the following:

Please read and follow the directions here, skipping any steps you are unable to complete. Then create a NEW topic here.

One of the expert helpers there will give you one on one assistance when one becomes available.

Please note that it may take 48 hours or more for you to receive a response in the malware removal forum, as it is often busy at times. Please do not reply to your own post asking for help unless its been more than 48 hours since you originally posted, as this can make it appear as though you are being helped and take longer for you to get help.

If you are unable to do all or any of the steps in the link to the directions above, just post your problem into the forum I gave you a link to anyway and someone will be able to assist you.

=======================================================

Thanks bunches. That seems to have worked. Will now re download malwarebytes as in all these processes it seems to have disappeared. Worried about this nasty thing coming back again for sure.

If you prefer to be assisted via email you may contact support@malwarebytes.org and one of our support staff members will assist you directly.

If you are a reseller, affiliate, technician, corporate, business, educational, government or non-profit customer then please contact corporate-support@malwarebytes.org and include full contact details along with your Reference # when you do to ensure that you receive prompt assistance.

Thank you :)

Excellent, I'm glad that it worked. As I said, if you continue to see any symptoms of infection (including Malwarebytes disappearing, something that infections will often do as they sometimes like to delete our files to prevent users from running us) then please seek help as described in my post so that one of our expert helpers can help you to eradicate these nasty bugs once and for all :).

Excellent, I'm glad that it worked. As I said, if you continue to see any symptoms of infection (including Malwarebytes disappearing, something that infections will often do as they sometimes like to delete our files to prevent users from running us) then please seek help as described in my post so that one of our expert helpers can help you to eradicate these nasty bugs once and for all :).

I would like to continue this thread because just this morning I had the exact same thing happen to me.

I used Malware bytes to remove "win 7 internet security 2012", which, from what I've read, is the same program as xp antivirus 2012. I'm obviously using Windows 7. After running malware bytes, the rogue anti-spyware seemed to be eliminated. I was then prompted to restart the computer. When I did, no executables worked. Just like the OP, I was prompted to choose a program with which to open the file. This happens for almost everything on my computer, including windows explorer! I am also unable to connect to the internet. Firefox seems to work, but no network connections can be established. Worse yet: when I use an external hard drive to transfer the exeHelper.com file to the damaged computer, just using the copy operation deletes the file from the external drive. I've tried marking a file as read-only on the external drive, and then copying that to the damaged computer, but it is still removed from the source before a copy operation can be completed.

So to summarize: I seem to have the exact same problem as the original poster, however I cannot get a copy of the exeHelper.com file onto the damaged computer because the "Copy" operation is also broken.

Greetings :)

You'll need to post in our Malware Removal section as described in this post so that one of our expert helpers can assist you with this. Alternatively, you may instead contact support@malwarebytes.org and they will assist you directly via email. Just explain what issues you're having and they will provide you with help on getting your computer back in proper working order.

I had the same problem after removing XP Security 2012 with Malwarebytes. What fixed it was a manual search and running of the file rstrui.exe. It's the Windows restore program. I ran it and restored my computer to a point before the virus hit. Here's the path C:\Windows\system32\rstrui.exe. Hope this will work for you too.