Dell Dimension 5150 System file missing or corrupt

mijder

My computer will not start and is showing the following message:

WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM file missing or corrupt

It tells me to use the original disk and press "r" in order to start the process of recovery.

Unfortunately Dell did not supply a recovery disk. Is there anything I can download to another PC to get me going again?

Thanks

M

My computer will not start and is showing the following message:

WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM file missing or corrupt

It tells me to use the original disk and press "r" in order to start the process of recovery.

Unfortunately Dell did not supply a recovery disk. Is there anything I can download to another PC to get me going again?

Thanks

M

That means the Registry was corrupted. Without it, the system can't boot.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545

Thanks David but I can't get in to the system at all. An extract from the Microsoft instructions reads:

"Part one

In part one, you start the Recovery Console, create a temporary folder, back up the existing registry files to a new location, delete the registry files at their existing location, and then copy the registry files from the repair folder to the System32\Config folder. When you have finished this procedure, a registry is created that you can use to start Windows XP. This registry was created and saved during the initial setup of Windows XP. Therefore any changes and settings that occurred after the Setup program was finished are lost.

To complete part one, follow these steps:

Insert the Windows XP startup disk into the floppy disk drive, or insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive, and then restart the computer."

I didn't get an XP startup disk. Can I download anything to save this situation?

Thanks

Mijder

The OS keeps a backup of the Registry. The objective is to restore the backup to their original location.

I have heard of booting into a live CD or placing the drive on a surrogate computer and effecting that fix but I haven't experienced it so I don't have advice to give. In my cases, I have opted to place the affected OS drive on a surrogate computer, taking ownership of the files and backing them up. Then reinstalling the drive in the affected computer and reinstalling the OS from scratch.

You can contact Dell an obtain a CDROM for the OS and trying a Registry restoration via the Recovery Console, a rapir installation or wiping and reinstalling the OS from scratch.

Maybe someone will follow with better and/or additional advice.