Malwarebytes FREEZING so far into a scan

I haved used Malwarebytes on many computers over the years and never had one problem at all.

Finally I have come across a problem on one particular PC.

It goes into the scan, and it always freezes in the 30,000+ mark.

I have to bring up the task manager and end the process a couple of times.

But if I wait it out, it will eventually finish the scan, but it takes around 45 minutes to an hour.

If I run in safe mode, it works perfect and completes in 5 minutes.

So it's a wierd problem.

I have nothing fancy starting up on this computer. Just LOGMEIN and AVIRA on a fully updated Windows XP running on a Dell Dimension 8400.

Memory has been tested with Memtest and DELL Diags. Hard drive has been tested with Seagate and Dell Diags. All is good. CHDSK /R has been used also, but it was good.

The system is clean as far as I know. In safe mode malwarebytes removered everthing. I also cleaned with Superantispyware, ESET Online scanner, Sophos virus file scanner, Search & Destroy Spybot and Simply Sup Trojan remover.

SO ANY IDEAS what to try next?

Below is a list of some startup items, if they say YES they are enabled, and NO, well they are disabled.

Yes HKCU:Run ctfmon.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe

Yes HKLM:Run ATIPTA C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe

Yes HKLM:Run CoolSwitch C:\WINDOWS\system32\taskswitch.exe

Yes HKLM:Run FastUser C:\WINDOWS\system32\fast.exe

Yes HKLM:Run LogMeIn GUI "C:\Program Files\LogMeIn\x86\LogMeInSystray.exe"

Yes HKLM:Run SunJavaUpdateSched "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe"

Yes HKLM:Run avgnt "C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\avgnt.exe" /min

Yes HKLM:Run SoundMAXPnP C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\Core\smax4pnp.exe

Yes HKLM:Run IAAnotif C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel Application Accelerator\iaanotif.exe

Yes IE Extension Diagnose Connection Problems...

Yes IE Helper Java Plug-In 2 SSV Helper C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll

Yes IE Helper JQSIEStartDetectorImpl Class C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\lib\deploy\jqs\ie\jqs_plugin.dll

No HKCU:Run MoneyAgent "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money\System\mnyexpr.exe"

No HKLM:Run HP Component Manager "C:\Program Files\HP\hpcoretech\hpcmpmgr.exe"

No HKLM:Run QuickTime Task "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime

No IE Extension

No IE Extension Messenger

No IE Helper Windows Live Sign-in Helper C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WindowsLiveLogin.dll

Hello and :welcome:

Please make sure you have these exclusions set in your Avira anti-virus see if this helps.

AVIRA

Set Exclusions for Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware in Avira on 32 bit Windows Versions:

1. Open Avira and click on Local Protection on the left
  2. Click on Guard
  3. Click on Configuration on the upper right
  4. Click the checkbox next to Expert mode on the upper left so that it is checked
  5. Under Guard, click the + next to Scan to expand the list
  6. Click on Exceptions
  7. Under Processes to be omitted by the Guard click the ... button next to the blank white box
  8. In the browse window that opens, navigate to C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  9. Double-click on mbam.exe then click the Add button
  10. Repeat steps 7-9 for the following files:
    • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
    • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe

[*]Click on Apply

[*]Close Avira's window

Set Exclusions for Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware in Avira on 64 bit Windows Versions:

1. Open Avira and click on Local Protection on the left
  2. Click on Guard
  3. Click on Configuration on the upper right
  4. Click the checkbox next to Expert mode on the upper left so that it is checked
  5. Under Guard, click the + next to Scan to expand the list
  6. Click on Exceptions
  7. Under Processes to be omitted by the Guard click the ... button next to the blank white box
  8. In the browse window that opens, navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  9. Double-click on mbam.exe then click the Add button
  10. Repeat steps 7-9 for the following files:
    • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
    • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe

[*]Click on Apply

[*]Close Avira's window

Set Exclusions for Avira in Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware:

• Open Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and click on the Ignore List tab
  • Click the Add button on the lower left
  • In the small browse window that opens, navigate to C:\Program Files and click once on Avira and click OK
  • Close Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

If you have any problems, please post back and one of the Experts will assist you

Thanks, ;)

Hello sherryxp2000

May i suggest you temporarily disable Avira , restart the computer and run a MBAM scan. Although the exclusions have been set we want to see if Avira is conflicting with MBAM. Please make sure to check for updates in Avira 2012 and have the latest version of Malwarebytes.

I have tried disabling Avira, then running Malwarebytes, but that does not work.

I tried as you suggested, but Avira, once you disable it, and reboot, it RE-ENABLES itself.

I mentioned earlier I done a MSCONFIG with Diagnostic Startup, and with that Avira sort of loads. This did NOT fix the problem either. On the other hand, this method still has AVGUARD and AVSHADOW active when I looked at the processes, let alone anything that AVIRA may have HIDDEN.

I just messaged the people at Avira, so they can tell me how to totally disable it short of uninstalling it.

So I await their response.