MBAM now remove all rougeremover does?

Now that Rouge Remover is discontinued, does MBAM detect & remove all that it did? I saw in a message on the RR forum that it doesn't. Has that changed?

No, the Rogue Remover database is not going to be migrated to Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware.

So then why discontinue something that still has a use? If MWAM isn't going to cover those malware, it seems like Rogue Remover still has a place in your catalog.

Because many of the rogues that Rogue Remover removed are already in the MBAM database, and those that are not were left out because they no longer have active points of infection.

We don't add things to the database that are not current. ;)

were left out because they no longer have active points of infection.

I know this might sound stupid, but what do you mean when you say "active points of infection"? What makes something no longer have active points of infection (Windows patches, no longer in the wild, etc)?

Thanks,

Panagiotis

I know this might sound stupid, but what do you mean when you say "active points of infection"? What makes something no longer have active points of infection (Windows patches, no longer in the wild, etc)?

Usually that means no longer in the wild.

Windows patches are irrelevant. So many people refuse to update to the latest Service Pack, and many even turn off automatic updates. For example, the 'Conficker' worm that has been decimating computer relies on a security vulnerability in Windows that was patched a month before the worm was first seen. If people bothered updating their computers, it never would have happened.

If you're dealing with old infections, then yes, something like spybot would be handy to have for removals. MBAM's main use is to remove (or for the pro version prevent) difficult to remove infections that are actively infecting users and that most if not all antivirus softwares fail to detect and/or remove. I actually keep RogueRemover on my PC to this day (the free version) I don't even have to have it installed because it's portable so I can run it from a flash drive should I encounter a pc that is infected with an old rogue and the scan only takes a few seconds so it's never a hassle to see if RogueRemover catches the rogue(s) on the system.

So MBAM isn't meant to be the end all and be all of anti-malware apps? You need to supplement with something like Spybot (or what do you recommend)? In addition, of course, to antivirus & firewall. Am I reading this right?

Yes, it's best to have Spybot Search & Destroy as well (their immunize features alone make it worth while for the extra protection), as long as you do not install TeaTimer.

Also note that a lot of the stuff that is not in our database is detected by good anti-virus software like AntiVir.