Infected Still

Lunora

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Root Admin

LOL - You were supposed to disable your Anti-Virus and disconnect from the Internet to do these scans/fixes.

With BitDefender running it does not like these other tools because they do contain dangerous files, but they're there on purpose to do the fixing that needs to be done.

Okay... let's do this.

1. Again, empty your BitDefender quarantine folder.

2. Empty the MBAM quarantine folder if there are any files in it.

3. Reset System Restore again.

Disable and Enable System Restore-WINDOWS XP

This is a good time to clear your existing system restore points and establish a new clean restore point:

Turn off System Restore

• On the Desktop, right-click My Computer.
  • Click Properties.

• Click the System Restore tab.

• Check Turn off System Restore.

• Click Apply, and then click OK.

• Reboot.

Turn ON System Restore

• Click Properties.

• UN-Check *Turn off System Restore*.

This will remove all restore points except the new one you just created.

4. Run the following cleanup routines.

STEP 1

Uninstall ComboFix.exe

• Click
    START
    then
    RUN
  • Now type
    Combofix /u
    (if you renamed Combofix.exe use that name instead)
    in the runbox and click OK. Note the
    space
    between the
    X
    and the
    /U
    , it needs to be there.

• CF_Cleanup.png

• When shown the disclaimer, Select "2"

Remove this folder C:\QooBox if the uninstall instructions don't work and delete Combofix.exe

STEP 2

Uninstall GMER

Click on
START - RUN
and type in or copy/paste
%windir%\gmer_uninstall.cmd
to remove GMER.

STEP 3

Uninstall other tools

Please
Download
OTMoveIt3
by Old Timer
and save it to your
Desktop
  • Double-click
    OTMoveIt3.exe
    to run it.
  • While connected to the Internet, Click on the green
    CleanUp!
    button and it will populate a list of items to clean from your system that we used or may have used.

• It should ask if you want to clean up, select Yes and allow the system to clean up these items.

NOW
    please reboot your computer to finish the cleanup process

5. Restart the computer and do an update to BitDefender and then a FULL SCAN and let me know if it finds anything.

6. Run a new MBAM update, scan and a NEW HJT log.

Post back the MBAM and HJT logs.

Quick Question: I know for a fact I still have some folders flitting about from stuff I don't use/and deleted. Like Limewire, Sony Vegas, and possibly more. How would I get rid of those folders/peices left over? And would it be possible to get rid of all the microsoft stuff--since I never ever use it and cause we don't have the disc needed for installing it and my computer doesn't read cd's anymore--or would that fall under making my comp faster after we get it uninfected?

(I was searching the Limewire parts in my computer to see if I could easily delete the folder and when a lot of stuff came up I thought it'd be better to ask)

I actually dont use a lot of programs on my computer--Napster, Sonic DLA, Sonic RecordNow!, Zonealarm (which wants me to renew it anytime I open it), Usb Storage Adaptor (gift from friend trying to give me Wifi), Windows Easy Transfer (when I got a vista laptop and tried to transfer files), Xvid, And AC3 Filter--just among those I don't recognize. :D Couldn't I delete some of this crud if I never ever use it?

• Root Admin

Yes, none of that falls under Malware in this forum. You can post those questions in the PC Help forum: http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/index.php?showforum=6

At this time I don't think you're infected anymore. You need to clean the tools and make sure you update with Microsoft Windows Update site all the critical updates.

I will close this post since I don't think you're infected anymore and you can open a new post in the PC Help forum for any of that other stuff.

Thanks.

All looks good now.

I'll close your post soon so that other don't post into it and leave you with this information and suggestions.

So how did I get infected in the first place?

At this time your system appears to be clean. Nothing else in the logs indicates that you are still infected.

Now that you appear to be clean, please follow these simple steps in order to keep your computer clean and secure:

Disable and Enable System Restore-WINDOWS XP

This is a good time to clear your existing system restore points and establish a new clean restore point:

Turn off System Restore

• Click Properties.

• Check Turn off System Restore.

• Reboot.

Turn ON System Restore

• Click Properties.

• UN-Check *Turn off System Restore*.

This will remove all restore points except the new one you just created.

Here are some free programs I recommend that could help you improve your computer's security.

Install SpyWare Blaster

Download it from
here

Find here the tutorial on how to use Spyware Blaster
here

Install WinPatrol

Download it from
here

Here you can find information about how WinPatrol works
here

Install FireTrust SiteHound

You can find information and download it from
here

Install hpHosts

Download it from
here

hpHosts is a community managed and maintained hosts file that allows an additional layer of protection against access to ad,

tracking and malicious websites. This prevents your computer from connecting to these untrusted sites

by redirecting them to 127.0.0.1 which is your own local computer.

Update your Antivirus programs and other security products regularly to avoid new threats that could infect your system.

You can use one of these sites to check if any updates are needed for your pc.

Visit Microsoft often to get the latest updates for your computer.

Note 1:

If you are running Windows XP
SP2
, you should upgrade to
SP3

Note 2:

Users of Norton Internet Security 2008 should uninstall the software before they install Service Pack 3.

The security suite can then be reinstalled afterwards.

The windows firewall is not sufficient to protect your system. It doesn't monitor outgoing traffic and this is a must.

I recommend
Online Armor Free

A little outdated but good reading on

how to prevent Malware

Keep safe online and happy surfing.

Since this issue is resolved I will close the thread to prevent others from posting into it. If you need assistance please start your own topic and someone will be happy to assist you.

The fixes and advice in this thread are for this machine only. Do not apply to your machine unless you
Fully Understand

how these programs work and what you're doing. Please start a thread of your own and someone will be happy to help you, just follow the Pre-Hijackthis instructions found here before posting
Pre- HJT Post Instructions

Also don't forget that we offer
FREE
assistance with General PC questions and repair here
PC Help

If you're pleased with the product
Malwarebytes
and the service provided you, please let your friends, family, and co-workers know.
http://www.malwarebytes.org

MBAM came up with nothing, as did BitDefender. And here's the HJT log.

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2

Scan saved at 12:25:25, on 2/7/2009

Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)

MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16762)

Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:

C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe

C:\Program Files\Common Files\BitDefender\BitDefender Update Service\livesrv.exe

C:\Program Files\BitDefender\BitDefender 2009\vsserv.exe

C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZCfgSvc.exe

C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe

C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe

C:\Program Files\Viewpoint\Common\ViewpointService.exe

C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe

C:\Program Files\BitDefender\BitDefender 2009\bdagent.exe

C:\WINDOWS\wanmpsvc.exe

C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jusched.exe

C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SUPERAntiSpyware.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe

C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe

C:\Program Files\BitDefender\BitDefender 2009\seccenter.exe

C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe

C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe

C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\usnsvc.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe

C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://marianregion.proboards107.com/

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Connection Wizard,ShellNext = http://toshibadirect.com/

R3 - URLSearchHook: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - (no file)

O2 - BHO: Yahoo! Toolbar Helper - {02478D38-C3F9-4efb-9B51-7695ECA05670} - (no file)

O2 - BHO: DriveLetterAccess - {5CA3D70E-1895-11CF-8E15-001234567890} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswshx.dll

O2 - BHO: Java Plug-In SSV Helper - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\ssv.dll

O2 - BHO: Windows Live Sign-in Helper - {9030D464-4C02-4ABF-8ECC-5164760863C6} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WindowsLiveLogin.dll

O2 - BHO: Java Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll

O2 - BHO: JQSIEStartDetectorImpl - {E7E6F031-17CE-4C07-BC86-EABFE594F69C} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\lib\deploy\jqs\ie\jqs_plugin.dll

O3 - Toolbar: BitDefender Toolbar - {381FFDE8-2394-4f90-B10D-FC6124A40F8C} - C:\Program Files\BitDefender\BitDefender 2009\IEToolbar.dll

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [bDAgent] "C:\Program Files\BitDefender\BitDefender 2009\bdagent.exe"

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [bitDefender Antiphishing Helper] "C:\Program Files\BitDefender\BitDefender 2009\IEShow.exe"

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [sunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jusched.exe"

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [sUPERAntiSpyware] C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SUPERAntiSpyware.exe

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [msnmsgr] "C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe" /background

O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office OneNote 2003 Quick Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\ONENOTEM.EXE

O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000

O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL

O9 - Extra button: Real.com - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\Shdocvw.dll

O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe

O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe

O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe

O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe

O10 - Unknown file in Winsock LSP: c:\windows\system32\nwprovau.dll

O14 - IERESET.INF: START_PAGE_URL=http://www.toshiba.com

O16 - DPF: {30528230-99F7-4BB4-88D8-FA1D4F56A2AB} (YInstStarter Class) - http://us.dl1.yimg.com/download.yahoo.com/...nst20040510.cab

O16 - DPF: {48DD0448-9209-4F81-9F6D-D83562940134} (MySpace Uploader Control) - http://lads.myspace.com/upload/MySpaceUploader1006.cab

O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://www.update.microsoft.com/windowsupd...b?1198714492626

O16 - DPF: {6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3} (MUWebControl Class) - http://www.update.microsoft.com/microsoftu...b?1199412274304

O19 - User stylesheet: C:\Documents and Settings\Samantha\Desktop\Texts\RBFN.css (file missing)

O20 - Winlogon Notify: !SASWinLogon - C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SASWINLO.DLL

O23 - Service: Apple Mobile Device - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe

O23 - Service: BitDefender Arrakis Server (Arrakis3) - BitDefender S.R.L. http://www.bitdefender.com - C:\Program Files\Common Files\BitDefender\BitDefender Arrakis Server\bin\Arrakis3.exe

O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe

O23 - Service: Java Quick Starter (JavaQuickStarterService) - Sun Microsystems, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe

O23 - Service: BitDefender Desktop Update Service (LIVESRV) - BitDefender SRL - C:\Program Files\Common Files\BitDefender\BitDefender Update Service\livesrv.exe

O23 - Service: Viewpoint Manager Service - Viewpoint Corporation - C:\Program Files\Viewpoint\Common\ViewpointService.exe

O23 - Service: BitDefender Virus Shield (VSSERV) - BitDefender S. R. L. - C:\Program Files\BitDefender\BitDefender 2009\vsserv.exe

O23 - Service: WAN Miniport (ATW) Service (WANMiniportService) - America Online, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\wanmpsvc.exe

--

End of file - 6298 bytes

• Root Admin

Yes, the system looks clean and is working as it should.

For those other issues please open a new post in the PC Help forum and hopefully as someone has time they can answer your other questions about the other software.

Thanks Lunora and keep safe out there. I will close the post now as there are no signs of infection anymore.

• 2 weeks later...

Update Avira? I have avast! not Avira -nods- So, update that and do a full scan in that?

Oh. I, just remembered, a lot of the viruses that I had in AVG were problems from a year ago. So that may be part of the reason my comp has so many issues due to the crappy tech guy who just quarantined the stuff instead of removing it.

• System Restore on/off - Check
  • CCleaner - Check!
  • Avast! Scan - Not yet...

Where do I find the quarantine thing for Dr. Web? Since you said to empty all other sections of the quarantined stuff before scanning.

Oh, and for CCleaner it just had a whole bunch of stuff it deleted that was left over from BitDefender--only like 47 things which it all deleted. -nods-

I deleted the RAR file of SDFix that ended up in the Quarantine and did the scan. Yesterday the scan and my whole computer froze and I had to restart and my computer did a CHKDSK and removed a 'bad sector' I guess--did it's thing overall. And today I did the Thorough Scan.

In the Thorough Scan I had accidentally checked the 'Archives' option as well for the scanning, so it got about 500 things I couldn't scan cause of that. And then there was one song file that popped up. So I deleted that.

EDITS:// Oh yea. And that song file was one that wouldn't sync to my ipod, and I guess I forgot to delete it at the time. =/ But, it came in a RAR file from my BF and all the other songs are just healthy/synced to my ipod/worked fine.

• Root Admin

Due to the lack of feedback this Topic is closed to prevent others from posting here. If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this thread with your request. This applies only to the originator of this thread.

Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread. Thanks!

The fixes and advice in this thread are for this machine only. Do not apply the instructions from this thread to your own machine. Please start a new thread describing your issue and someone will be along to assist you.

Thankyou :rolleyes:

I did manage to get Malwarebyte's uninstalled, and reinstalled, and even ran a full system scan which said I had nothing malicious on my computer. But, for some reason my computers date keeps getting off. It either jumps a day ahead or it goes back a day.

I noticed it doing this yesterday, it was set to Thursday when I turned my computer on. I changed it back. And then I put my computer in hibernation mode and it changed to a day ahead again. I changed it again. I even turned my computer off after it did updates the proper way. And then I turn it on and the day has set back to Wednesday and ahead to Friday.

Normally it's my time that jumps around when I turn my computer off by just pressing the button down. So, is there any reason for it doing this? Malwarebytes found nothing, and Avast hasn't popped up with anything.