MBAM disappears

I have a client that purchased the full PRO version of MBAM back in March 2011. About 2 weeks ago, the MBAM completely disappeared from my client's PC. There were not even any leftover registry entries or folders in "Program Files". There was a folder or two in the asst'd User Profile folders. The desktop icon was gone also. Now, again the desktop icon is gone, there is still a MalwareBytes folder in c:\Program Files but only about half of the needed files are there, mbamgui.exe is gone, mbamservice.exe is gone, etc. In the event viewer, there is an error entry mentioning mbamservice.exe as a faulting application. That was about 5 days ago and no other MBAM related entries are in the Event Viewer; however, an application fault in mbamservice.exe should not cause the MBAM desktop icon to disappear from 2 user accounts, should not cause MalwareBytes to no longer be listed in both user account "All Programs" lists, and should cause MBAM to be COMPLETELY removed from the msconfig > Startup list. This 2nd time MBAM disappeared, the registry keys are fully intact, but the first time it vanished all registry entries were gone also. At first I thought maybe we had accidentally sold our client the Corporate 1 year license, and that it had uninstalled itself, but it hasn't been a year since the original install of MBAM. I then thought that maybe the same license was being used on 2 different PCs, and that MBAM would remove itself if it was discovered via an online check that the same license was on 2 different PCs, but the client does not have a 'hard copy' of the license product keys and does not have the 'know-how' to extract it from the PC, and would therefore be unable to install a 2nd copy on a 2nd PC (as far as I know). I'm not sure if this s problem with MBAM, but I have seen MBAM Pro vanish from a PC before, but re-installing after using the mbam-clean.exe utility worked the other time MBAM disappeared..... just wondering what's going on.... if any more info is needed, feel free to ask.... oh, all rootkit and malware scans have come up clean today.... I have not yet re-installed MBAM Pro on the client's PC; I'm hoping for some info first....

THANKS!

Uhhh.... I can't find an "Edit" button..... the following statement "... and should cause MBAM to be COMPLETELY removed from the msconfig > Startup list ..." should obviously have the word "not" immediately following "... and should ...".

Oooops.

Please instruct the client to do the following:

• Download and run mbam-clean.exe from
here
It will ask to restart your computer, please allow it to do so very important
After the computer restarts, temporarily disable your Anti-Virus and install the latest version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from here
Note: You will need to reactivate the program using the license you were sent via email if using the Pro version

Thank You -

This is a good item for you (as a dealer) to Copy / Paste and keep, if the problem occurs again -

Or ask them to post the problem here so we can help them -

PS. You will have an EDIT tab after 50 forum posts, otherwise just add any extras below your post :)

• Staff

Just so you know Mbam will never uninstall itself due to licensing issues. The worse that could possibly happen is it would go to free mode.

Some ideas though what may be happening.

1. Customer installed some software or antivirus that required removal of mbam to install.

2. Malware attacked mbam for some reason though we have not run across any that has done this yet.

3. Possibly system restore was done back before mbam was installed?