Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'search bar'.
Hello there ! After visiting a few suspicious sites, while being on the hunt for a Sony Ericsson firmware file I ended up getting a nasty surprise. First thing is that when I search for something in google, i sometimes (can't get the logic of when it actually happens) get a secondary search bar above the google one which is used as default, even if i try to type in the original google bar i get redirected to the secondary one. Even if I decide to use that one it redirects me to a yahoo search. I can get rid of it (temporary) by hitting the X button. But it comes back soon after. The second issue is that from time to time, after a moderate interval of probably 10-20 mins, I get an ad pop-up triggered by a mouse click anywhere on the chrome page. ANYWHERE. Another thing i noticed is that the on-click ad somehow sets up a full-screen layer that has a HREF tag to an ad site. Meaning if i open it in chrome HTML explorer I see it as an element of the page, taking the entire visible space, making it impossible to not click it, unless u manually remove it from the DOM of the preloaded page. I have tried 2 things , well more actually - Kaspersky default antivirus I am using found nothing - Malwarebytes found a file that was an adware, I removed it and restarted but the problem persists. After the second scan malware-bytes did no find anything wrong with my system. - Some Bitdefender tool for dealing with adware, also found nothing wrong with my system. - Tried removing any extensions from chrome that were unknown or weird (all I found were my extensions which I have been using for a long time), tried factory reset on chrome, tried re-installing chrome. Nothing seems to work. It seems to be bound to chrome since I dont have this problem in Edge (I dont have Firefox to try it there) So I come to you. I can give you detailed information as to what IP address I get redirected and respectively connected to when I use the secondary search bar, the thing runs in SYSTEM (PID 4) and in Chrome.exe (PID random) but not as a separate process on its own. From here on I am opened for suggestions. Thank you in advance and I wish both of sides good luck. Addition.txt FRST.txt
I recently have a new infection. I ran updated Malware Bytes and found nothing. Here are the symptoms - My search bar was swithed to "Selection Links" (an option on a freeware 'trial' I used but it is supposed to be removable on uninstall.). I cannot get rid of it. I am running Windows 7 and it infected IE & Firefox browsers. It screwed up my search bar. My 'history' in the address bars (both browsers) shows a lot of spam urls like Wal Mart etc. I cannot reset my search bar back to my preference in the IE browser. Firefox reset the search engine to my old one but fills the address bar with spam urls. I looked this up on answers.yahoo.com and it suggested I have something called Ransom Ware. One solution in that page's comments said run Malware Bytes + SUPER Anti-spyware. I did those 2 things to no effect. I also tried MalwareByte's Anti-Rootkit BETA (following instructions) and it dodn't find the thing. Any ideas?
Hi there, I'm sorry - I've spent days trying to figure this out, but I've had no luck. Earlier in the year (early July), I stepped out for lunch and a coworker installed some BlackBerry backup software ("MagicBerry") onto my machine. Along with it came an annoying "appbario8" search toolbar in all of my browsers. I removed it as best I could in the browser settings for Chrome, FF, and IE. Fast forward to two weeks ago when it suddenly makes a comeback. Somehow, an instance of Chrome is booting on my Windows startup with appbario8 installed, even though Chrome isn't in my list of startup processes. This has never happened before two weeks ago. If I delete the extension, it has "grown back" on the next boot. I've checked my startup processes, as well as Add/Remove Programs. I've been through my C:/ drive with a magnifying glass... but I've not come up with anything to fix the issue. Another interesting thing is that this instance of Chrome appears separate from the one I have pinned to the taskbar. Clicking the pinned Chrome opens a regular instance (Google default search, no appbario8 extension, no toolbar, previous tabs), and the two instances don't merge on the taskbar, as two windows of the same program typically would. I found 3 "events.js" files in a Uninstall Information folder on C:/. I've attached one as "events.txt", as they seem VERY suspect and might shed some light as to how to get this program off. I've moved the "Uninstall Information" folder off of my C drive and deleted a folder in Program Files (x86) called Conduit. I know that I should have waited to do this - sorry if it makes this harder at all. ("Conduit" is a search utility synonymous with appbario8, as far as I can tell) Thank you so much. I look forward to hearing back from you. R ps - I apologize for the bloated Programs list, I didn't realize how absurd the number of games I've bought is until scanning through... attach.txt dds.txt events.txt