Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'access denied'.
Found 3 results
BugZapper posted a topic in Anti-Ransomware BetaHi, Problem: “Convert to Searchable PDF” in SnanSnap Organizer for Fujitsu scanners fails with error 5 when beta 0.9.18.807-1.1.29 is enabled. Temporarily disable protection, and the problem goes away. Exclusions don’t seem to help. OS: Windows 10 1709, 64-bit. Confirmed on a second PC. Investigation: I used ProcMon to identify the source of the error as SetRenameFileInformation() failing with ACCESS DENIED (Windows error 5). Then I identified the application causing this by a process of elimination. I found that the ScanSnap organizer runs OCR and adds the info to a copy of the original PDF. Then, if successful, it replaces the original with the updated copy. However something MalwareBytes Anti-Ransomware is doing seems to be breaking the SetRenameFileInformation() internal Windows API for .PDF files, and several other file types such as .jpg, and .txt, but not for .docx, .htm, or random extensions such as .xxx. When protection is enabled, this API returns ACCESS DENIED for files with certain extensions. But when disabled, the API succeeds as expected. Fortunately I found that this problem can be reproed using the following simple batch file so you don’t need a Fujitsu scanner to work on this: @echo off echo Test > f1.pdf echo Test > f2.pdf echo ---------------- echo Moving PDFs will fail (access denied) if Anti-Ransomware protection is enabled, and succeed if disabled echo on move f1.pdf f2.pdf @echo off echo. echo ---------------- echo But many other file types are not affected anda move always succeeds echo Test > f1.xxx echo Test > f2.xxx echo on move f1.xxx f2.xxx Note that when the above move fails, the del command will delete the destination file. So I know this isn't a problem with permissions or a file being locked in memory. I suspect this problem may break other software as well. Thanks. This is the first problem I’ve had since the very early beta. I really like your program. Others nag me with false positives, but this seems much smarter.
IamDiskovr posted a topic in Resolved Malware Removal LogsI recently started seeing this process on my task manager use a huge amount of resources (RAM, CPU, and GPU). I've tried using MBAM/Chameleon scans, MBAR scans, ADWcleaner, RKill, Hitman Pro, Zemata, and ESET but it reappears after every reboot. It will also not end the task from inside task manager and I cannot access the file location. Im the only user on this machine, and an admin by default.
garioch7 posted a topic in Malwarebytes 3 Support Forum@dcollins I just tried to upgrade from 1458 to 1469, and once again got an "access denied code 5 error" when the installation routine hit the MBAMService. This same behavior was seen when I upgraded from Version 3.0.5 to Version 184.108.40.2068. This time I did disable MBAM Self-Protection before starting the upgrade. In both instances, the anit-virus scanning modules of Bitdefender 2017 Total Security were disabled. When I went to "Services.msc" under elevated command prompt, the MBAMService was showing as "stopping" and nothing could be done, except right-click, select Properties, and set the service to "Disabled" and then reboot. Once I did that, I was able to upgrade my version of MBAM to 1469, which is how I resolved it the first time. I will see whether this behavior occurs on my laptop when I have it on tomorrow. Submitted for your information. Have a great day. Regards, -Phil