Jump to content

SawtoothID

Members
  • Content Count

    5
  • Joined

  • Last visited

1 Follower

About SawtoothID

  • Rank
    New Member

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. Both excellent points!!! Thanks!!! Hopefully once/if MB puts in place a mass email procedure/service, they can test it out by pushing a note out to all current subscribers that this has been one positive result of this event. Maybe some other vendors would pick up on doing likewise in similar circumstances. And yes – spot on with # 2
  2. Thanks Walo! You are spot on! I just got my flu ridden carcass out of bed and made a few calls. As to the forum here (where there's MB staff & other techs much brighter than me), I'll just repeat (for whatever it’s worth) the low tech steps (in my particular case) that allowed me to get the MB fix loaded and out of the woods (without uninstalling/reinstalling MB). “ I booted Windows in “Safe Mode” (tapping F8 while booting), pulled up “Services”, set the MB service (there’s just 1) from Automatic to Manual, then hit the stop button (on the same MB service screen) & then rebooted again in normal mode. When Windows came back up, the memory usage had dropped back to normal (because MB didn’t try to auto load on boot) and I was then able to update MB with the fix. The memory leak did not cause any damage or corruption on my workstation, rather it just froze a number of processes consistently and kept me from loading the fix to stop the leak. I haven't read all the 25 pages that have accrued since I posted this earlier today. So, there's probably plenty of more useful info in there than what I have posted here. But thought I'd throw it out again. Good luck to everyone still weathering this storm (both MB users & MB alike). One other comment I always make to myself during situations like this (again for whatever it's worth) is to “document all the steps I’ve tried thus far” (before those steps become a tower of babble in my own head and I can’t remember everything I’ve tried and in what order). Sometimes that info helps me know if there’s anything I need to set back to default (because it didn’t solve the problem anyways) or is useful when seeking advice from techs who know the particular issues in detail. It sometimes gives me an exit out of a wrong rabbit hole I went down and I've been down plenty of them.
  3. From old guy to old guy: Sorry for not getting on to the forum at the beginning. We have a virulent form of flu in the valley here right now and I've been sick as a dog. My wife basically cattle proded me out of bed to fix her workstation earlier and I went back to bed after fixing (with my low tech solution). When I got back up a little bit ago & checked the forum, I felt compelled to say a few good words about MB. It was a duzy of a mistake, but in using them for many years at many clients, I thought some of the vicious comments were over the top in relation to their overall track record. In years past, I've seen people like Norton put out techno babble excuses to mitigate a few of their screw ups. MB didn't do that, which I respect. If they have both their heart & ethics in the game (coupled with a good track record), they are worth a second chance in my book. Allot of these software companies have so many hooks into our PC's that their ethics & honesty matter as much to me as their code
  4. I'm an old guy (70) and a network admin for 35yrs. I've used products & services from hundreds of vendors over the years. I can't think of a single major vendor (over a continuum of years) that has not made a few bad mistakes. MB immediately owned up, didn't whitewash or tie it to anything else & got a fix out quickly. I respect them for that and will not write them off due to a single mistake over many years. I’ve used MB on multiple workstations for many years and their track record is a very good one. Also, I’ve made my share of whoppers. My simple solution before any fix was available was to first look for any application specific clues (in this case MB because the “Real Time Web Protection” kept bombing) and then did a 2 minute Google search for “MB problems with today’s date” (via web on my phone) and was able to confirm the hunch. I then “Booted in Safe Mode (F8 while booting)”, went to Services, set the MB service from Automatic to Manual & rebooted. The memory usage dropped back to normal and a few hours later MB had a fix. For me, doing some basic “non-it” detective work before starting down rabbit holes that keeps me out of trouble. MB's been a solid outfit for allot of years and they still have my confidence!
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

This site uses cookies - We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.